• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

obtaining a handgun with a LTC and not being 21? is it possible? hear me out

7588merc

imported post

here in indiana you can lawfully carry a handgun with a ltc at the age of 18. im not 21 yet so ill just say 18 as a reference. the law says that you have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a "dealer". can you legally buy a used handgun from a private person such as someone you know and carry it with a LTC?

i was reading up on www.in.gov under the firearms section and i cant find anything that would contradict it. i also cant find where it says there is no registering of a handgun. is it possible? or is the only way through a legal guardian?

NayKid

imported post

I am 20 years of age and carry an XD 45.

The way I got my handgun was by telling my parents that I would like one as a christmas present, which is a legal way for me to obtain said weapon. I gave them no money to purchase it for me, but I did repay them one way or another.

jmlefler

imported post

NayKid,

Remove your post.

That purchase could be considered a sham purchase under Federal/State law and might possibly subject you and your parents to prosecution.

IANAL

Jared

imported post

7588merc wrote:
here in indiana you can lawfully carry a handgun with a ltc at the age of 18. im not 21 yet so ill just say 18 as a reference. the law says that you have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a "dealer". can you legally buy a used handgun from a private person such as someone you know and carry it with a LTC?

i was reading up on http://www.in.gov under the firearms section and i cant find anything that would contradict it. i also cant find where it says there is no registering of a handgun. is it possible? or is the only way through a legal guardian?
Get your lifetime license to carry, then buy a handgun off a parent, friend, or off of someone else via private sale. Indiana is one of those few states that respect the rights of adults that are 18, 19, or 20.

KBCraig

imported post

jmlefler wrote:
NayKid,

Remove your post.

That purchase could be considered a sham purchase under Federal/State law and might possibly subject you and your parents to prosecution.

IANAL

Hogwash. It was a gift. He gave his parents gifts in return. This is what families do, and it doesn't constitute an illegal straw purchase by any stretch of the imagination.

NayKid

imported post

I can recieve a firearm of any legal type as a gift. I cannot purchase one. Thank the great state of Indiana for that.

It was not a straw purchase in any sense of the word.

7588merc

imported post

Jared wrote:
7588merc wrote:

i was reading up on http://www.in.gov under the firearms section and i cant find anything that would contradict it. i also cant find where it says there is no registering of a handgun. is it possible? or is the only way through a legal guardian?
Get your lifetime license to carry, then buy a handgun off a parent, friend, or off of someone else via private sale. Indiana is one of those few states that respect the rights of adults that are 18, 19, or 20.
ahh thanks for clearing that up. i wanted to make sure, dont wanna get it and get pulled over and be surprised when i get arrested.

tattedupboy

imported post

jmlefler wrote:
NayKid,

Remove your post.

IANAL
It would only be considered asham/straw purchase if the original purchaser were buying it with the intention of giving or selling it to someone (ie., a convicted felon) who is prohibited by law from possessing firearms. Buying a firearm as a gift for someone who is not prohibited by law and who you know will not do anything illegal with it is perfectly legal.