Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Does MD have an out of state permit?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    I am originally from MD and have all my family there - I have moved down to VA for various reasons, more freedom being one of them.

    I know the restrictions on the MD "may issue" permit - you really can't get it unless you know someone or are part of the elite class.

    My question being, does MD have an out of state permit?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    251

    Post imported post

    hsmith wrote:
    I am originally from MD and have all my family there - I have moved down to VA for various reasons, more freedom being one of them.

    I know the restrictions on the MD "may issue" permit - you really can't get it unless you know someone or are part of the elite class.

    My question being, does MD have an out of state permit?
    No, and they do not put addresses on the card.

    http://www.mdsp.org/Downloads/Licensing_Application.pdf


  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lynnwood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,238

    Post imported post

    Their license is issued to both in state and out of state residents. There's no requirement to reside in Maryland.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia & Tampa
    Posts
    91

    Post imported post

    They do not technically have a non-resident permit. Its more like one permit regardless of residency.

    Ofcourse, good luck getting it. If you get an unrestricted one, if you get one at all, me and probably a bunch of guys here in the forum will treat you to dinner over in MD. Ofcourse, none of us will be armed but you. LOL

  5. #5
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958

    Post imported post

    thejax wrote:
    They do not technically have a non-resident permit. Its more like one permit regardless of residency.

    Of course, good luck getting it. If you get an unrestricted one, if you get one at all, me and probably a bunch of guys here in the forum will treat you to dinner over in MD. Of course, none of us will be armed but you. LOL
    That's FUNNY!

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, ,
    Posts
    8

    Post imported post

    Jax is right! My husband has the conceal carry permit and it is hard to get and maintain...renewal takes forever!



    You have to prove to the Secty of State PD why you need a carry conceal.. His is death threats.. he works for the division of corrections... heck they threaten to kill his ENTIRE family.. you think I could get a permit too? NOT!

  7. #7
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post

    Just visiting your "side of the river" from the Virginia forum. You poor bastages... I really do feel sorry for you folks that aren't allowed to exercise your right to protect yourselves from scumbags. I know there is certainly no shortage of them in most of the state. I visit Southern Maryland from time to time because my spousal unit is from St. Marys County. I have a CC permit in VA and OC on a regular basis as well. When I come to Maryland, I STILL bring protection. If I get caught, I guess I'll deal with the consequences. Perhaps one of these days, you will "gain your Independence" from tyranny.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  8. #8
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958

    Post imported post

    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    If I get caught, I guess I'll deal with the consequences. Perhaps one of these days, you will "gain your Independence from tyranny.
    As I read recently on a Maryland forum: "My lawyer can get me outta jail... but not outta the cemetary." That about covers it.

    The arguments of the anti's in MD are jaw dropping. Common sense has taken a hike. We're all 'gun nuts' just wanting to pop a cap into somebody... Meanwhile... the shooting rampage goes on daily with people unable to defend themselves. What's worse... there's a BUNCH of people who don't even want to consider the option.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran Freeflight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Yorktown VA, ,
    Posts
    306

    Post imported post

    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    Just visiting your "side of the river" from the Virginia forum. You poor bastages... I really do feel sorry for you folks that aren't allowed to exercise your right to protect yourselves from scumbags. I know there is certainly no shortage of them in most of the state. I visit Southern Maryland from time to time because my spousal unit is from St. Marys County. I have a CC permit in VA and OC on a regular basis as well. When I come to Maryland, I STILL bring protection. If I get caught, I guess I'll deal with the consequences. Perhaps one of these days, you will "gain your Independence" from tyranny.
    +1

    Every time I go...I carry on as usual (Well Almost... I have to CC) When in MARYland.
    And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms....The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

    Thomas Jefferson in a letter to William S. Smith in 1787. Taken from Jefferson, On Democracy 20, S. Padover ed., 1939

    Free Flight

  10. #10
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958

    Post imported post

    The oblivious attitudes there are scary. There seems to be a rather pedestrian myopic xenophobia coupled with institutionalized hoplophobia.

    An attitude that Maryland is normal... Oh... it's not THIS WAY everywhere? Like Luddites on Proziac. Particularly among the stoop sittin' mouth breathers of Baltimore. (Soon to become Maryland's most famous ruin.)

    They not only know nothin'... they don't suspect nuthin' either. But that may change... 'Crips ahd Bloods' have taken root there. Baltimore and some other have decalred themselves 'Sanctuary Cities' for illegals. MS-13 will make an appearance if not already. Still,they prefer to wander in Condition White.

    They like being sheep. They can concieve of no other lifestyle.


  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    22

    Post imported post

    As shown on "The Wire": Bodymore, Murdaland

    And I think I have it bad.

  12. #12
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    Maryland does have an out of state permit - http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/docs/ccwapp.pdf




    of course, its not good in Maryland though...
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  13. #13
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958

    Post imported post

    As of today, I'm washing my hands on myopic Maryland. I really am done with that pathetic waste of real estate and it's 'stuck on stupid' inhabitants.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    27

    Post imported post

    Sonora Rebel wrote:
    As of today, I'm washing my hands on myopic Maryland. I really am done with that pathetic waste of real estate and it's 'stuck on stupid' inhabitants.
    Don't blame all of us

    I have an app in for a permit...Precious Metal Dealer...

  15. #15
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358

    Post imported post

    BacknBlack wrote:
    I have an app in for a permit...Precious Metal Dealer...
    You may be able to get a permit, but it will be a "Limited CC Permit", meaning it will only be valid while you are performing your job, i.e. while you're transporting precious metals.

    Get caught with a gun under your jacket while you're out having dinner with your famliy, and you're NOT on the clock and have some gold bullion in your briefcase, and you are gonna be in BIG trouble.

    MD almost NEVER issues "unlimited carry" permits to "civilians", unless they are VERY connected and wealthy. I'm not talking precious metals dealer wealthy, I mean like seven=figure net worth wealthy...

    Good luck.

    You'll have a much better chance if you move to VA--they are a "Shall Issue" state...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    27

    Post imported post

    Dreamer wrote:
    BacknBlack wrote:
    I have an app in for a permit...Precious Metal Dealer...
    You may be able to get a permit, but it will be a "Limited CC Permit", meaning it will only be valid while you are performing your job, i.e. while you're transporting precious metals.

    Get caught with a gun under your jacket while you're out having dinner with your famliy, and you're NOT on the clock and have some gold bullion in your briefcase, and you are gonna be in BIG trouble.

    MD almost NEVER issues "unlimited carry" permits to "civilians", unless they are VERY connected and wealthy. I'm not talking precious metals dealer wealthy, I mean like seven=figure net worth wealthy...

    Good luck.

    You'll have a much better chance if you move to VA--they are a "Shall Issue" state...
    I know several who have unlimited carry in Md and they are not one of the wealthy.... Any permit in MD is better than none.... I already have Florida and Utah for my out of state business....

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    214

    Post imported post

    BacknBlack wrote:
    I know several who have unlimited carry in Md and they are not one of the wealthy.... Any permit in MD is better than none.... I already have Florida and Utah for my out of state business....
    My old neighbir when we lived there had a unlimited carry permit. Course he'd had it since the 50/60's. Drove his boss nuts he could carry off work limits but he couldn't. He worked gov't contract security.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    OC, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    81

    Post imported post

    Dreamer wrote:
    BacknBlack wrote:
    I have an app in for a permit...Precious Metal Dealer...
    You may be able to get a permit, but it will be a "Limited CC Permit", meaning it will only be valid while you are performing your job, i.e. while you're transporting precious metals.

    Get caught with a gun under your jacket while you're out having dinner with your famliy, and you're NOT on the clock and have some gold bullion in your briefcase, and you are gonna be in BIG trouble.

    MD almost NEVER issues "unlimited carry" permits to "civilians", unless they are VERY connected and wealthy. I'm not talking precious metals dealer wealthy, I mean like seven=figure net worth wealthy...

    Good luck.

    You'll have a much better chance if you move to VA--they are a "Shall Issue" state...
    The general understanding is that if you have a MD handgun permit with restrictions by the MDSP on where and when you can carry it and if you get caught carrying outside those restrictions, then it would be an administrative matter and not a criminal violation.
    In other words, you would lose your permit but cannot be charged with a crime. The MD statute says that if you have a permit you are exempt from the handgun carry law and does not use language such as, "when permit is active and not restricted" or some such, so the restrictions are only enforceable administratively.


  19. #19
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358

    Post imported post

    Sonora Rebel wrote:
    'Crips ahd Bloods' have taken root there. Baltimore and some other have decalred themselves 'Sanctuary Cities' for illegals. MS-13 will make an appearance if not already. Still,they prefer to wander in Condition White.
    MS-13 has been documented in Baltimore County since 2006...

    http://www.wbaltv.com/news/9930773/detail.html

    http://gangs.umd.edu/wfrmGangsinmdDe...,%20or%20MS-13

    Crips, Bloods, and numerous "local" gangs have been active in MD for decades...

    http://gangs.umd.edu/index.aspx

    And it's not just in the "hoody" parts of the state. MS-13 is suspected in several murders and rapes in Gaithersburg, Rockville, and Wheaton, and numerous robberies and assaults in Montgomery and PG Counties...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  20. #20
    Regular Member Shovelhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NO VA, ,
    Posts
    355

    Post imported post

    While not an "Out Of State" permit, Maryland seems to be looking at the possibility of honoring neighboring states CHPs.



    Keeping fingers crossed.

    http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0110/699719.html
    ANNAPOLIS, Md. - Handgun permits issued by Pennsylvania, Virginia and Delaware would be valid in Maryland under legislation proposed by a Cecil County Republican lawmaker.

    Delegate Michael D. Smigiel Sr. has proposed the change to Maryland's firearms law, which would also extend to licenses to carry concealed firearms. A House committee will hold a hearing on the legislation Tuesday afternoon.

    Maryland gun permit applicants must be 18 years of age or older, and have a "good and substantial reason" to carry the handgun. Several categories of people, including addicts and those who exhibit a propensity for violence or instability are barred from receiving gun permits.

    [/b][/b]

    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Alabama, ,
    Posts
    1,338

    Post imported post

    I was under the impression Maryland had no problem with people carrying out
    of state. Always thought it was Mass that couldn't even stand that.
    I just hated when you took a wrong turn in DC and crossed the border into
    maryland by mistake with your gun on you.

    But if you have your wedding ring on your hand you are carrying precious metals.
    Thanks to the 5th amendment they will have a very hard time proving you
    are not working. Is it your fault the presence of police scared your client away
    from the dinner meeting? I know when I am buying gold out of the back of a car
    trunk and I see cops hanging around harassing the seller. I do not go through
    with the deal. That is just common sense.

    Simple solution is to get your brain dead relatives to move to a better state.

    Anyone know the statue of limitations for carrying in Maryland?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •