• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does MD have an out of state permit?

hsmith

imported post

I am originally from MD and have all my family there - I have moved down to VA for various reasons, more freedom being one of them.

I know the restrictions on the MD "may issue" permit - you really can't get it unless you know someone or are part of the elite class.

My question being, does MD have an out of state permit?

nickerj1

imported post

hsmith wrote:
I am originally from MD and have all my family there - I have moved down to VA for various reasons, more freedom being one of them.

I know the restrictions on the MD "may issue" permit - you really can't get it unless you know someone or are part of the elite class.

My question being, does MD have an out of state permit?

No, and they do not put addresses on the card.

http://www.mdsp.org/Downloads/Licensing_Application.pdf

thejax

imported post

They do not technically have a non-resident permit. Its more like one permit regardless of residency.

Ofcourse, good luck getting it. If you get an unrestricted one, if you get one at all, me and probably a bunch of guys here in the forum will treat you to dinner over in MD. Ofcourse, none of us will be armed but you. LOL

Sonora Rebel

imported post

thejax wrote:
They do not technically have a non-resident permit. Its more like one permit regardless of residency.

Of course, good luck getting it. If you get an unrestricted one, if you get one at all, me and probably a bunch of guys here in the forum will treat you to dinner over in MD. Of course, none of us will be armed but you. LOL
That's FUNNY! :D

RaginCajun

imported post

Jax is right! My husband has the conceal carry permit and it is hard to get and maintain...renewal takes forever!

You have to prove to the Secty of State PD why you need a carry conceal.. His is death threats.. he works for the division of corrections... heck they threaten to kill his ENTIRE family.. you think I could get a permit too? NOT!

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Just visiting your "side of the river" from the Virginia forum. You poor bastages... I really do feel sorry for you folks that aren't allowed to exercise your right to protect yourselves from scumbags. I know there is certainly no shortage of them in most of the state. I visit Southern Maryland from time to time because my spousal unit is from St. Marys County. I have a CC permit in VA and OC on a regular basis as well. When I come to Maryland, I STILL bring protection. If I get caught, I guess I'll deal with the consequences. Perhaps one of these days, you will "gain your Independence" from tyranny. :)

Sonora Rebel

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
If I get caught, I guess I'll deal with the consequences. Perhaps one of these days, you will "gain your Independence from tyranny. :)

As I read recently on a Maryland forum: "My lawyer can get me outta jail... but not outta the cemetary." That about covers it.

The arguments of the anti's in MD are jaw dropping. Common sense has taken a hike. We're all 'gun nuts' just wanting to pop a cap into somebody... Meanwhile... the shooting rampage goes on daily with people unable to defend themselves. What's worse... there's a BUNCH of people who don't even want to consider the option.

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Just visiting your "side of the river" from the Virginia forum. You poor bastages... I really do feel sorry for you folks that aren't allowed to exercise your right to protect yourselves from scumbags. I know there is certainly no shortage of them in most of the state. I visit Southern Maryland from time to time because my spousal unit is from St. Marys County. I have a CC permit in VA and OC on a regular basis as well. When I come to Maryland, I STILL bring protection. If I get caught, I guess I'll deal with the consequences. Perhaps one of these days, you will "gain your Independence" from tyranny. :)

+1

Every time I go...I carry on as usual (Well Almost... I have to CC) When in MARYland.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

The oblivious attitudes there are scary. There seems to be a rather pedestrian myopic xenophobia coupled with institutionalized hoplophobia.

An attitude that Maryland is normal... Oh... it's not THIS WAY everywhere? Like Luddites on Proziac. Particularly among the stoop sittin' mouth breathers of Baltimore. (Soon to become Maryland's most famous ruin.)

They not only know nothin'... they don't suspect nuthin' either. But that may change... 'Crips ahd Bloods' have taken root there. Baltimore and some other have decalred themselves 'Sanctuary Cities' for illegals. MS-13 will make an appearance if not already. Still,they prefer to wander in Condition White.

They like being sheep. They can concieve of no other lifestyle.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

As of today, I'm washing my hands on myopic Maryland. I really am done with that pathetic waste of real estate and it's 'stuck on stupid' inhabitants.

BacknBlack

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
As of today, I'm washing my hands on myopic Maryland. I really am done with that pathetic waste of real estate and it's 'stuck on stupid' inhabitants.
Don't blame all of us ;)

I have an app in for a permit...Precious Metal Dealer... :)

Dreamer

imported post

BacknBlack wrote:
You may be able to get a permit, but it will be a "Limited CC Permit", meaning it will only be valid while you are performing your job, i.e. while you're transporting precious metals.

Get caught with a gun under your jacket while you're out having dinner with your famliy, and you're NOT on the clock and have some gold bullion in your briefcase, and you are gonna be in BIG trouble.

MD almost NEVER issues "unlimited carry" permits to "civilians", unless they are VERY connected and wealthy. I'm not talking precious metals dealer wealthy, I mean like seven=figure net worth wealthy...

Good luck.

You'll have a much better chance if you move to VA--they are a "Shall Issue" state...

BacknBlack

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
BacknBlack wrote:
You may be able to get a permit, but it will be a "Limited CC Permit", meaning it will only be valid while you are performing your job, i.e. while you're transporting precious metals.

Get caught with a gun under your jacket while you're out having dinner with your famliy, and you're NOT on the clock and have some gold bullion in your briefcase, and you are gonna be in BIG trouble.

MD almost NEVER issues "unlimited carry" permits to "civilians", unless they are VERY connected and wealthy. I'm not talking precious metals dealer wealthy, I mean like seven=figure net worth wealthy...

Good luck.

You'll have a much better chance if you move to VA--they are a "Shall Issue" state...
I know several who have unlimited carry in Md and they are not one of the wealthy.... Any permit in MD is better than none.... I already have Florida and Utah for my out of state business....

trailblazer2003

imported post

BacknBlack wrote:
I know several who have unlimited carry in Md and they are not one of the wealthy.... Any permit in MD is better than none.... I already have Florida and Utah for my out of state business....
My old neighbir when we lived there had a unlimited carry permit. Course he'd had it since the 50/60's. Drove his boss nuts he could carry off work limits but he couldn't. He worked gov't contract security.

Novus Collectus

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
BacknBlack wrote:

Good luck.

The general understanding is that if you have a MD handgun permit with restrictions by the MDSP on where and when you can carry it and if you get caught carrying outside those restrictions, then it would be an administrative matter and not a criminal violation.
In other words, you would lose your permit but cannot be charged with a crime. The MD statute says that if you have a permit you are exempt from the handgun carry law and does not use language such as, "when permit is active and not restricted" or some such, so the restrictions are only enforceable administratively.

Dreamer

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
'Crips ahd Bloods' have taken root there. Baltimore and some other have decalred themselves 'Sanctuary Cities' for illegals. MS-13 will make an appearance if not already. Still,they prefer to wander in Condition White.
MS-13 has been documented in Baltimore County since 2006...

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/9930773/detail.html

http://gangs.umd.edu/wfrmGangsinmdDetail.aspx?id=Mara Salvatrucha, or MS-13

Crips, Bloods, and numerous "local" gangs have been active in MD for decades...

http://gangs.umd.edu/index.aspx

And it's not just in the "hoody" parts of the state. MS-13 is suspected in several murders and rapes in Gaithersburg, Rockville, and Wheaton, and numerous robberies and assaults in Montgomery and PG Counties...

Shovelhead

imported post

While not an "Out Of State" permit, Maryland seems to be looking at the possibility of honoring neighboring states CHPs.

Keeping fingers crossed.

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0110/699719.html
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - Handgun permits issued by Pennsylvania, Virginia and Delaware would be valid in Maryland under legislation proposed by a Cecil County Republican lawmaker.

Delegate Michael D. Smigiel Sr. has proposed the change to Maryland's firearms law, which would also extend to licenses to carry concealed firearms. A House committee will hold a hearing on the legislation Tuesday afternoon.

Maryland gun permit applicants must be 18 years of age or older, and have a "good and substantial reason" to carry the handgun. Several categories of people, including addicts and those who exhibit a propensity for violence or instability are barred from receiving gun permits.
[/b][/b]