• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to get another pistol

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm not going to get into a Glock vs XD pissing match as there is no point in it and I think both are good sidearms, I just personally dislike the ergonomics of Glocks. I will correct a few things though.

While OEM XD parts are still not released by SA, most of the parts can now be replaced by after market parts. It's taken a few years for demand and sales numbers to get high enough on the XDs to make it worth production to after market manufacturers, but they are now getting up to speed. Most commonly broken parts can be purchased including complete spring kits and striker retention pin as well as sear and trigger bar. I'm sure that in years to come that parts availability with be similar.

IMO an XD is slightly easier to detail strip than a Glock IMO having done so with both with the same tools one after the other.

A few years ago, the XD made it to the final round of the Treasury Dpt tests but lost out due to no external safety in the final decision (which was not part of the original requirement) which greatly effected the addition of a manual safety option. Glocks were knocked out 2 rounds earlier due to breakage IIRC in the toss on concrete floor test. Doesn't mean Glocks suck, but does show that XDs can compete head to head. Furthermore, the XDs have been through the same types of torture tests as Glocks and have been just as durable.

Given the nearly identical platform of the Glock and the XD excepting grip angle, backstrap safety and takedown release, and given that the XD has fully supported chambers in all calibers and given that the feed ramp rests on the XD locking block instead of the mag lip as in the Glock reducing kaBoom! likelihood I'm not seeing how the Glock is some uber better fighting platform. I think it really comes down to personal preference.

dojpros

imported post

SQL,

With th xd, if you have less than an optimum grip, you will not fully depress the grip safety.

If the grip safety is not full depressed, you cannot retract the slide.

This typically manefests itself if you attempting to manipulate the weapon one handed .

dojpros

imported post

DD,

The largest Treasury component that is armed, IRS-CID went from sig to glock.

USSS(former Treasury,now DHS) has been withs sigs for a while. ATF (former Treasury,now DOJ) is going from sig to glock.

If you want to bet your life and fortune on aftermarket ignition parts, you are braver than I.

The uber pistol fighters of the world don't use xds, they use glocks.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

dojpros wrote:
DD,

The largest Treasury component that is armed, IRS-CID went from sig to glock.

USSS(former Treasury,now DHS) has been withs sigs for a while. ATF (former Treasury,now DOJ) is going from sig to glock.

If you want to bet your life and fortune on aftermarket ignition parts, you are braver than I.

The uber pistol fighters of the world don't use xds, they use glocks.
We know ATF has been using Glocks for a while as most people have seen the ATF agent shoot himself in the leg (or foot) with one on YouTube.

I have yet to read of a kaBoom! with an XD. I have yet to read about someone shooting themselves in the leg with an XD (it is called "Glock leg" and not "Sig leg" or "H&K leg" or "1911 leg" even though they have been around longer for a reason). Does that mean that Glocks suck?

How about a listing of current US Military sidearms according to Wikipedia:

Sidearms In active service (all branches)
  • M9 (Beretta 92F/FS; Pistol ('Personal Defense Weapon'), 9x19mm Parabellum)
  • M11 (SIG Sauer P228; Pistol, 9x19mm NATO)
In active service (some branches, secondary or limited roles)I think we have some pretty uber pistol fighters in our military and they are using 1911s, H&K and Sigs primarily. Not a single Glock in the list nor XD. Does that mean they both suck and are not worthy of uber fighting status? Should I just put away my XD and only carry my M11?

There are lots of ways to judge a pistol. I feel 100% confident with my XD and I would fully expect that anyone carrying a Glock would also feel 100% confident in it's ability. I don't have a Glock, although I have shot many of them, because I hate the ergonomics and I also prefer other things about the XD.

As to aftermarket parts, yeah, from a quality manufaturer with a good history of making quality parts I feel fine with it. There are lots of people who put aftermarket parts in their firearms. Should I feel uncomfortable carrying with a Barsto match barrel because it is aftermarket? That's a pretty important functioning part of a pistol. There are plenty of people who take MIM parts out of less expensive 1911s and replace them with milled parts and they seem to work pretty well. There are tons of aftermarket mag releases for all sorts of guns that people use. That's also a pretty important part considering if your mag falls out or jams in the pistol because of the release in a firefight you are pretty screwed.

I'm don't want to get this thread all off topic in an XD vs Glock discussion. IMO it is 99% personal preference. The XDs and Glocks are both proven platforms with more similarities than differences. That's all I'm trying to point out. I don't think either one is a bad firearm and I don't think that anyone who honestly looks at both firearms would reach a different conclusion.

ETA: As to the backstrap safety and slide lock, I have never had any issue with it. I have no problem racking it on my belt with one hand, a drill I do practice. I kind of like the feature actually.

thx997303

imported post

Dojpros,

I was never saying that you were stupid, that you were wrong, or anything else.

I just personally thought that your OPINION, which was stated as FACT, was pretty annoying.

Also, you responded to my request that you site your sources, with hearsay. Not cites to facts to support your argument, but hearsay.

And I don't really see the need to bring age into the argument. Everyone who does not agree with me, seems to like to look at my birthday.

You want to know more about me? Fine. I'll PM you some information. But please don't discredit me just for my age.

SQLtables

imported post

dojpros wrote:
SQL,

With th xd, if you have less than an optimum grip, you will not fully depress the grip safety.

If the grip safety is not full depressed, you cannot retract the slide.

This typically manefests itself if you attempting to manipulate the weapon one handed .

:shock:Have you ever shot, held, played with, SEEN an XD? I've never had any problem with this at all... weird...

Just like everybody else has said, I think Glocks and XDs are just for different people.

ThunderRanch

imported post

My .02

I had a Glock 21. It was the absolute worst handgun I have ever owned. FTF, FTE, Stovepipe, etc. In defense of the company, their customer support was excellent. They were very responsive and quick the six (yep six) times I was instructed to return the gun to them for repairs. They eventually just sent a brand new gun that I promptly sold.

Does any of this mean the Glock isn't a good gun? Absolutely not. I know plenty of people who swear by them. I have seen the torture tests. I have shot plenty of rentals at the range. Would I ever own another one? Again, absolutely not. I don't have a huge collection by any means. Every weapon I have is a self defense tool. After the issues I had (please note this is personal experience), I don't feel comfortable having a self defense tool I cannot trust.

I believe it is a personal choice. I don't think what is right for one person is necessarily right for the next person. I haven't experienced any of the issues previously mentioned with either of my Springfields. (XD45 Tactical and TRP Operator Tactical). Does that make them right for me to recommend? Nope.

Go to the range. Shoot every option you can afford and pick the one that best fits your intended use and budget!

dojpros

imported post

DD

The agent in the video was DEA, not ATF. ATF is still using sig until the next fiscal year.

Former speical mission unit members who train the public and leos state that glocks are being used/issued in lieu of 1911s. Glocks have been issued to "Big Army" members who are "embedded" with local units that use glocks as well.

SQL, I have handled, shot and trained with an xd.

THX, I have been shooting longer than you have been alive. Your age relative to your experience or lack there of, is going to be an issue for a while. I cited you to sources re certain websites. Moreover, I conveyed to you what I had personally observed and heard. That might be an opinion, but it is not hearsay.

It is a fact that you cant get OEM parts for a xd like you can for a glock

It is a fact that you cannot get the same breadth of holsters/pouches etc for and xd as opposed to a glock

It is a fact that xd have not been adopted by any number of large agencies

It is a fact that many premier trainers beleve that the xd is siginicantly less reliable than a glock in training enviroments wher 1000-2000 rounds are fired over the course of 2-4 days ( we can debate whether that assertion is true, but it is a fact that it was said.)

All, I never said that the xd was a bad weapon. I said that is was not as good as a glock based on a number of perameters I set to include: numbers in use, ease of maintainance, availablity of holsters etc, and the conclusions re the platform as expressed by several premier trainers.

ThunderRanch

imported post

dojpros wrote:
DD

The agent in the video was DEA, not ATF. ATF is still using sig until the next fiscal year.

Former speical mission unit members who train the public and leos state that glocks are being used/issued in lieu of 1911s. Glocks have been issued to "Big Army" members who are "embedded" with local units that use glocks as well.

SQL, I have handled, shot and trained with an xd.

THX, I have been shooting longer than you have been alive. Your age relative to your experience or lack there of, is going to be an issue for a while. I cited you to sources re certain websites. Moreover, I conveyed to you what I had personally observed and heard. That might be an opinion, but it is not hearsay.

It is a fact that you cant get OEM parts for a xd like you can for a glock

It is a fact that you cannot get the same breadth of holsters/pouches etc for and xd as opposed to a glock

It is a fact that xd have not been adopted by any number of large agencies

It is a fact that many premier trainers beleve that the xd is siginicantly less reliable than a glock in training enviroments wher 1000-2000 rounds are fired over the course of 2-4 days ( we can debate whether that assertion is true, but it is a fact that it was said.)

All, I never said that the xd was a bad weapon. I said that is was not as good as a glock based on a number of perameters I set to include: numbers in use, ease of maintainance, availablity of holsters etc, and the conclusions re the platform as expressed by several premier trainers.

A fewof those "stupid" questions that come to mind. How long have Glock's been on the market compared to the XD? How long did it take for the Glock to be adopted by the "large agenecies"? How long was it before aftermarket parts were readily availble for the Glock? How long did it take for the plethora of holsterd to become available for the Glock?

Not to say your assertions aren't true. Just food for thought.

Its an obvious fact that you have no interest in the XD. That is your preference. But based on previous personal experience, I would not own a Glock. That is my personal preference. Different strokes for different folks.

I also know a few LEO's whose deparment issued Glocks so they have to carry them. If they had a choice, they'd carry something else. (And not necessarily an XD)

Once again, personal opinion is that the Glock is a cheap handgun. Cheaply made, cheap to buy spare parts for since you will need them, and cheap to issue to large numbers of members of an agency.

Edited for spelling!

thx997303

imported post

Okay, well I like my XD, you like Glocks. I understand and I don't care.

I will keep my XD, you keep your Glock, and I won't say anything more.

Steer this thread back on topic.

dojpros

imported post

DD,

No worries.

His affliation did not make him any less of an embarassment to gun owners and users ( I user that term because it is incredable to me how many agents are not "gun people" and do not own any guns at all. They only use what has been issued to them).

At one point who was trying to sue the DEA. Last I checked he had no attorney and and was doing it himself. (you know you have a bad case whenyou cannot find a lawyer to take your case when you are sueing the govt.)

stay safe