• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lowes?

Misguided Child

imported post

Ijust heard from a Lowes employee that last thursday someone OC'd into the Mill creek Lowes and was asked to leave. Even worse the next day the temp manager made an announcement to store staff that it was illegal and if they see anybody doing it they are to notify management immediately. This with an ex-LEO on staff telling them it was legal. I have asked before in Lowes and was told they didn't want to interfere with anybodies' civil rights and as long as the personwas behaving they wouldn't object.

Was it someone here?

just_a_car

imported post

I've OC's at the one in Lynnwood (that the one you mean, just across the street from Staples and Bed, Bath & Beyond?) without issue and even got really helpful information from the paint guy on finding some Sodium Triphosphate that I needed to parkerize a flashhider.

surfj9009

imported post

I have oc'ed the lowes on the northside in Spokane e several times and even had pleasant conversations about it with a few employees and a manager. Seems as though we need to find out what the corporate policy is though.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Misguided Child:

I have not carried in that Lowes... but I could :) It's right on my way home from work (sortof). I pretty much only go tothe smokey pointstore now, as it's closer to home.

I could get a big basket full of stuff and wander around the store waiting to be told to leave, which I would do... without my basket.

It would be nice to get a written policy from corporate if possible.

fatalhubris

imported post

Hey guys,[/b]

[/b]

I don’t OC at Lowes for one very simple reason.[/b]

The g/f works for them. Ergo I’m not about to tip over my own rice bowl.[/b]

[/b]

I do, however, know for a fact that Lowes forbids its employees from possessing weapons on store property. This supposedly includes the parking lot as well, not a big surprise there. [/b]

[/b]

if you likeill ask her who I can talk to about corporate policy in regards to weapons OC and the lot. find out if they mirror state law or not.[/b]

heresolong

imported post

You might also take some flyers in and talk to the manager. You said the "temp manager" said it was illegal. I don't know what that means but if the manager is set straight then the manager can update the store education.

badger

imported post

Misguided Child wrote:
Ijust heard from a Lowes employee that last thursday someone OC'd into the Mill creek Lowes and was asked to leave. Even worse the next day the temp manager made an announcement to store staff that it was illegal and if they see anybody doing it they are to notify management immediately. This with an ex-LEO on staff telling them it was legal. I have asked before in Lowes and was told they didn't want to interfere with anybodies' civil rights and as long as the personwas behaving they wouldn't object.

Was it someone here?

THAT WAS ME!!!!!

I have been busy moving from Seattle to Kirkland the past few weeks and haven't been on the forum in a while.

I was shopping for a table saw with the same uncle I was with during my Subway incident. We had only been in the store long enough to pass the check out lines when we were approached by two employees. Only one guy in a Lowes shirt talked but he was by far the biggest penis wrinkle I have ever encountered.

Lowes Guy- How are you gentlemen doing today?

Me- Doing pretty good. Lookin for a table saw.

LG- Are you an off-duty police officer?

Me- No.

(After I replied "no" he hostily raised his voice for the rest of the conversation)

LG- Then why do you have a gun on your hip?

Me- This is how I always carry it.

LG- That is illegal!

Me- I beg your pardon? Washington is an open carry state.

LG- Ha ha, I have a CPL and I know for a fact you are breaking the law. Openly displaying a gun is known as public intimidation.

Me- Sir we are just trying to buy some tools here. I haven't intimidated anybody, we just got here.

LG- I am going to have to ask you to leave now or I will call law enforcement.

At this time I tell my uncle that I will meet him outside cuz the LG is being so belligerent and hostile that I was getting tempted to lose my normal cool. My uncle gave me the keys to his car and I politely exited the store. As I was leaving I hear behind me...

LG- I'm sorry about that sir. (to my uncle)

Uncle- You know by acting like a lawyer you open yourself up to alot of problems. Instead of interpreting the law you could just say that this is private property and request a customer leave due to store policy. Also you should be appologizing to my law abiding nephew who was only here to do some shopping. By the way, you are wrong about the law. Washington IS an open carry state. Oh and (sarcastic chuckle) I am now going to excercise my right to NOT SHOP HERE. Good day.

And with that we left, without the needed tablesaw and headed elsewhere to shop.

That was on Thursday afternoon on the 3rd July, 2008.

I was actually just going to post a new topic about it when I saw the Lowes in the title here.

I wouldn't ad them to the DNP list just yet. I am going to attempt to educate them a little first about Washington State gun laws first.

I have OCed at Lowes in Seattle on South Rainier and in Bellevue without incident. I am pretty sure this guy just has it in for open carry.

-Badger

jbone

imported post

If not already in works, could someonewith the writing/legal know-howdo the letter to Lowes Corporate to determine policy?

Would it be best to wait for corporate response before I OC at the Arlington store?

badger

imported post

I just got the customer service hotline for Lowes and will be calling them tomorrow to get some clarification. I'll keep you posted on what comes of it.

-Badger

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jbone wrote:
Would it be best to wait for corporate response before I OC at the Arlington store?

While I can't say that everyone there is OC friendly, I have never had an encounter at the Smokey Point / Arlington store and I carry there frequently. I know some of management is OC friendly, but of course... it only takes one.

I think a lot of it is how you look while carrying. If you're dressed like a gang banger you''re probably going to be treated like one. If you're dressed like an ole-fart like me... they seem to leave you alone. :uhoh:

jbone

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
jbone wrote:

While I can't say that everyone there is OC friendly, I have never had an encounter at the Smokey Point / Arlington store and I carry there frequently. I know some of management is OC friendly, but of course... it only takes one.

I think a lot of it is how you look while carrying. If you're dressed like a gang banger you''re probably going to be treated like one. If you're dressed like an ole-fart like me... they seem to leave you alone. :uhoh:
47yr old Navy guy who dresses his age, you called it Ole-fart.

jbone

imported post

badger wrote:
I just got the customer service hotline for Lowes and will be calling them tomorrow to get some clarification. I'll keep you posted on what comes of it.

-Badger
That's sounds good, look forward to hearing you updates.

jbone

imported post

badger wrote:

-Badger
Badger, any report on your phone call?

badger

imported post

Spent half an hour today getting juggled through an endless maze of automated phone menus and Lowes customer service reps. Finally managed to get the Northwest Regional Office's number and left a voicemail. That was around 1100 this morning. No call back from them.

I'll try again soon. Gotta drop it for a lil bit cuz I'm getting ready to hitch-hike tomorrow east to North Dakota to see my sister. Can't afford to drive the Badgermobile that far with gas prices so dang high.

-Badger

jbone

imported post

I was unable to get a live voice as well, but did get this email repsonse. Will inform when & if I get areply.

Dear Jeff xxxxx:

Thank you for contacting Lowe's. We apologize for the problemsexperienced with our stores. We have forwarded your e-mail to Research so they can address your concerns. They will contact you within 2 business days.

If you have additional questions or comments, you may contact us by replying to this e-mail.

Thank you,

Joyce

Lowe's Customer Care