• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1st Open Carry

Chris1760

imported post

:banghead: I must say that york police are funny... I got asked it that was a gun on my hip now I carry a glock 23 a extra mag and a 02oz OC. .... I tried to be a little bit funny and told him it was my 9 iron for my game later... He laughed and asked if I had a permit I told him yes but showed it to him and he just looked and said have a good night. Not to bad I hope I am from MD and have both VA and FL permits still trying to get my MD or I may just move ...

younggun20

:banghead: I must say that york police are funny... I got asked it that was a gun on my hip now I carry a glock 23 a extra mag and a 02oz OC. .... I tried to be a little bit funny and told him it was my 9 iron for my game later... He laughed and asked if I had a permit I told him yes but showed it to him and he just looked and said have a good night. Not to bad I hope I am from MD and have both VA and FL permits still trying to get my MD or I may just move ...

Glad to hear all went well, some officers would have taken the response as an insult.

PointofView

:banghead: I must say that york police are funny.....

I OC my Glock as I live in York Country (overseas at the moment). I talked to a LEO once who told me that private citizens can purchase a taser that can fire multiple times from a distance and it is better than what the PD can carry. He said for my wife she should switch to that, but since I carry for work anyways I am better off.

I just thought the gun on the hip beat the hell out of the I have a taser somewhere in my purse technique. If you get a chance. What do I know? Should female LEOs carry a taser instead of a gun based on his statements? HMmmmmm.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I OC my Glock as I live in York Country (overseas at the moment). I talked to a LEO once who told me that private citizens can purchase a taser that can fire multiple times from a distance and it is better than what the PD can carry. He said for my wife she should switch to that, but since I carry for work anyways I am better off.

I just thought the gun on the hip beat the hell out of the I have a taser somewhere in my purse technique. If you get a chance. What do I know? Should female LEOs carry a taser instead of a gun based on his statements? HMmmmmm.

I know little about tasers so if I am wrong here, please step in people and correct me.

What if you are facing multiple attackers? What if the attacker(s) are, say, 8,10,12 yards away and posing a real threat? Which weapon do you think is more likely to instill fear and flight in an attacker, thereby saving you from having to fire?

Again, I know next to nothing about tasers so I am certainly open to comments.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I know little about tasers so if I am wrong here, please step in people and correct me.

What if you are facing multiple attackers? What if the attacker(s) are, say, 8,10,12 yards away and posing a real threat? Which weapon do you think is more likely to instill fear and flight in an attacker, thereby saving you from having to fire?

Again, I know next to nothing about tasers so I am certainly open to comments.

Just a guess, here, but the sound of "Freeze!" followed by a guy doing the fish flop doesn't instill much fear in me at all. If I were were unarmed while faced with that situation on the receiving end, I'd probably hold my leather jacket at arms length and charge.

On the other hand, the sound of a firearm grabs everyone's immediate attention.

However, to answer your question: "Which weapon do you think is more likely to instill fear and flight in an attacker, thereby saving you from having to fire?"

Most tasers are yellow. Most firearms are black. When LEOs have to draw tasers, I don't think it stops many people at all, until they fire. When they draw their firearms, however, I think that commands more respect.

okboomer

In my experience:

Draw Taser = no repect from BG initially, but some will back down
Draw Gun = immediate respect from BG

Taser against multiple opponents ... let's see - taser cartridge shoots two darts into one person, the other's rush you.
Gun against multiple opponents ... one in the pipe plus nine in the magazine, and two more mags loaded with hp and fmj, no one rushes you as they aren't bullet proof and they know it.

At least that is the math as I see it. YMMV

o-Marine-o

I had a buddy in the Marines with me, and I witnessed him during a demonstration get hit with a taser and still make contact with the person... If he was a BG and armed, he could have did some damage..

It was a demonstration when he told a cop that he could handle a taser...:) pretty cool though.