• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clothing choices to minimise attention when OC

KAHR54

imported post

I was at the Mall in the now famous Dickson City, Pa and looking around when I noticed Dickson City Police in uniform with sidearms and a little later I saw two dudes without jackets but wearing dress shirt with tie and slacks and high on hip holsters walking together. I assumed they were security. Maybe not.

My reason for this post is this- If I were dressed in slacks, shirt and tie and OC...would I be less obvious/more accepted than if I were wearing baggy jeans and an old tee-shirt and OC. ??

I'm just a stinkin' factory worker- would me and my Kahr stick out worse than some accountant and his S/W ??

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think contast is as important (or maybe more) that the actual 'style' of what you're wearing. Black jeans and t-shirt with a Glock and black holster will likely be almost invisible to the sheep.

SANDCREEK

imported post

KAHR54 wrote:
My reason for this post is this- If I were dressed in slacks, shirt and tie and OC...would I be less obvious/more accepted than if I were wearing baggy jeans and an old tee-shirt and OC. ??
I'm (among other things) a "stinkin' truck driver", retired mailman, and a general all around"social agitator" . If YOUR "purpose" in OC'ing is to de-sensitize your community in a gradual way , (I think) the NEAT look of nice casual slacks, dress shoes, "pressed" dress shirt, with low profile tie, ball-point and note pad in breast pocket - will work. A nice (blue ?) golf /polo shirt ? Additionally - maybe a cell phone clipped to belt, neat (short) hair-cut, a compact, or sub-compact sem-auto (Glock, Sig, S&W, XD)- maybe IWB holster/or out. On the other hand -If YOUR "purpose" is confrontation with the public and LEO's - by all means assert your 2A right "in their face". I support the "meet & greet" at a resturaunt concept. There is more than one "front" in this battle. When 15 or so OC'ing citizens congregate publicly - it won't go unnoticed. That's the whole point. An individual out & about running errands in the community - I would prefer to be perceived as a purposeful person, on a deliberate "mission", that "looks like" I should be wearing a side-arm, but it's hot in the summer and I simply chose not to wear a jacket......

Ruiner

imported post

KAHR54 wrote:
I was at the Mall in the now famous Dickson City, Pa and looking around when I noticed Dickson City Police in uniform with sidearms and a little later I saw two dudes without jackets but wearing dress shirt with tie and slacks and high on hip holsters walking together. I assumed they were security. Maybe not.

I'm just a stinkin' factory worker- would me and my Kahr stick out worse than some accountant and his S/W ??
I absolutely believe that dressing more professional will help you be more accepted... I normally wear Khaki carharts with a nice dress shirt tucked in. Most of the time people hardly even notice. The ones who do, have not said anything to me, nor has anyone given me any trouble. That includes police officers that I've walked by.

nh92d

imported post

Ruiner wrote:
I absolutely believe that dressing more professional will help you be more accepted... I normally wear Khaki carharts with a nice dress shirt tucked in. Most of the time people hardly even notice. The ones who do, have not said anything to me, nor has anyone given me any trouble. That includes police officers that I've walked by.

IMHO..dressing more professional gets you "accepted" mainly cause the sheep think yourmore then likely a policedetective (or something similar).if i'm out and about,i don't dress up(only for weddings and funerals will i do that).

you'll see me in (black or blue denim) shorts and a plain colored or whitet-shirt (during the summer)

BTW-i have nothing against those that like to look professional..i think how you act also helps with how your accepted.

I think contast is as important (or maybe more) that the actual 'style' of what you're wearing. Black jeans and t-shirt with a Glock and black holster will likely be almost invisible to the sheep
+1 my 92 in it's holster can be hard to see when i'm wearing black..

Bullbuster

imported post

My attire varies from day to day and what I maybe out doing.

If I'm just out and about or taking the kids to karate practice I usually am in my boots,wranglers and a t-shirt. Sometimes tucked in but usually untucked.

Now if we are out for a night on the town for dinner and whatever after. I usually wear dark or a darker slack with a dress shirt to match.

At times my wife will ask if I am carrying as she couldn't tell with the darker clothes.

Regardless I will wear clothes that aren't all beat up as if I just got done working in the yard an such. I try to be as presentable as possible yet still casual as can be.

SQLtables

imported post

Yes, dressing nice will help if you don't want to be noticed, but then again, there's always CC for those who don't want to be noticed :quirky

I have to dress business casual for work, so about half the time I OC in Kakhi dress pants and a collared shirt. The other half I'm in jeans and a tshirt, but with either my XD in a serpa sticks out, and if that doesn't draw enough attention, I carry two extra shiny silver mags, in the open top mag holster that came with my XDs.

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

I think the key concept (apart from how to emphasize/deemphasize the firearm itself) is that what you wear sends a message about who you are and what you're all about. IMHO, the message one wants to send when carrying openly is "I'm a respectable citizen, just like you." Where you are and who else is around will determine how to say that.

Shirt and tie when everyone else is dressing more casual might not send that as well as something else, particularly if it's an "unfashionable" shirt and tie (and don't get me wrong, I'm no one's idea of a GQ type). The question to ask is, "What are the people where I'm going to be going to think when they see me?"

I am emphatically not saying that one's rights depend on how one is dressed. But dress and demeanor always say something about who you are, like it or not If you care what that is, dress appropriately for what you want to say. If you want to say "Yeah, I'm a <whatever>, what's it to ya?" there are ways to say that loud and clear, too.

regards,

GR

SQLtables

imported post

Gentleman Ranker wrote:
I think the key concept (apart from how to emphasize/deemphasize the firearm itself) is that what you wear sends a message about who you are and what you're all about. IMHO, the message one wants to send when carrying openly is "I'm a respectable citizen, just like you." Where you are and who else is around will determine how to say that.

Shirt and tie when everyone else is dressing more casual might not send that as well as something else, particularly if it's an "unfashionable" shirt and tie (and don't get me wrong, I'm no one's idea of a GQ type). The question to ask is, "What are the people where I'm going to be going to think when they see me?"

I am emphatically not saying that one's rights depend on how one is dressed. But dress and demeanor always say something about who you are, like it or not If you care what that is, dress appropriately for what you want to say. If you want to say "Yeah, I'm a <whatever>, what's it to ya?" there are ways to say that loud and clear, too.

regards,

GR

When reading your post, I was preparing to disagree with you, but then you brought it back around to something I can agree with.

What you wear does say a lot about you, at least to other people, right or not. So does wearing a gun. I don't worry about what I'm wearing when I OC, because I have the right to wear whatever I want just as much as the right to OC. I feel it's counter-productive to hold back on one of my rights just to feel better about expressing another. As a side note, I like to think I always dress presentably. On occasion, I do wear my old "Make 7, up yours" shirt, but that's the most controversial thing I wear, not because I want others to think of me a certain way, but because it's how I like to dress.

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

When reading your post, I was preparing to disagree with you, but then you brought it back around to something I can agree with.
I almost forgot to add that, but I agree that it is an important point.

One of the reasons to carry openly (which I plan to start doing before long) is to make a statement about 2nd Amendment rights and to educate others. And some people need to hear that others' rights don't depend on their personal opinions and ... especially ... their feelings.

At the same time ... again, just MHO ... I think it works better when one doesn't stress the normals too much all at once. :)

regards,

GR

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I tend to dress "tidy" I guess you would say and in what would have once been called "preppy". I hate untucked shirts for example (which makes CC more difficult). I just don't seem to get bothered that much about carrying by people.

tattedupboy

imported post

Darn! I guess I just need to go out and purchase myself an entirely new wardrobe if I even want to consider OCing. I guess that my wardrobe, which is mostly baggy clothes (not sagging pants that show my underwear, however) withloose fitting t-shirts, in addition to tattoo covered arms, carrying a full-size Glock 22,is not the image OCers should attempt to portray. Can't have anyone associating the "hip hop" look with OC, now can we?

My suggestion is to wear whatever you want, because no matter what, you are carrying not to be "accepted," but to protect yourself andyour loved ones.An anti is an anti, andthe sight of a gun is going to make them poop in their pants regardless if the person carrying it is a criminal, a law abiding citizen "nicely" dressed, or a"grungy" ordinary person. Just make sure that while you're carrying, you behave yourself.

Michigander

imported post

I dress in whatever crap I would have dressed in anyway. Giving someone even a slight reason to think you are a cop isn't any good for furthering the cause of open carry. I often go out in blue jeans, a t-shirt, boots or running shoes, and I sometimes use a very un cop like camoflage holster.

FogRider

imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
Darn! I guess I just need to go out and purchase myself an entirely new wardrobe if I even want to consider OCing. I guess that my wardrobe, which is mostly baggy clothes (not sagging pants that show my underwear, however) withloose fitting t-shirts, in addition to tattoo covered arms, carrying a full-size Glock 22,is not the image OCers should attempt to portray. Can't have anyone associating the "hip hop" look with OC, now can we?

My suggestion is to wear whatever you want, because no matter what, you are carrying not to be "accepted," but to protect yourself andyour loved ones.An anti is an anti, andthe sight of a gun is going to make them poop in their pants regardless if the person carrying it is a criminal, a law abiding citizen "nicely" dressed, or a"grungy" ordinary person. Just make sure that while you're carrying, you behave yourself.
Nah, go for it with what you have now. Just be aware that you might get a little less hassle if you dress a little nicer. While it may not be right, you will be judged partly by how you are dressed.

spectr019

imported post

While it is not fair, people are going to judge you on your appearance. NOT BEING RACIAL, but if you are mexican walking into a 7-11 in a white beater and khaki pants, the clerk may just give you the money without you even saying anything. Being black, I know that if I walk around with jeans down to my ankels in 95 degree weather with a long white tee or a hoodie, life would not be easy that day. I have a good feeling that the people on these forums and who are responsible enough are not trying to thug it up out there. I would say dress appropriately. You don't have to be like Bond and wear a tux wherever you go, but don't look like you just met up with DMX's boysin the projects either.

Ben

tarzan1888

imported post

KAHR54 wrote:
I was at the Mall in the now famous Dickson City, Pa and looking around when I noticed Dickson City Police in uniform with sidearms  and a little later I saw two dudes without jackets but wearing dress shirt with tie and slacks and high on hip holsters  walking together.  I assumed they were security.  Maybe not.

My reason for this post is this-  If I were dressed in slacks, shirt and tie and OC...would I be less obvious/more accepted  than if I were wearing baggy jeans and an old tee-shirt and OC. ??

I'm just a stinkin' factory worker- would me and my Kahr stick out worse than some accountant and his S/W  ??

You, sir, are the backbone of America, but, unfortunatly, a guy in a white shirt and tie, will not get the un-wanted attention you would get, if you are both open carrying.

Tarzan

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
KAHR54 wrote:

You, sir, are the backbone of America, but, unfortunatly, a guy in a white shirt and tie, will not get the un-wanted attention you would get, if you are both open carrying.

Tarzan

Yeah, have you noticed that it doesn't appear to be the "IN" thing these days to have "backbone"?

:(