• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

txcdl.org is writing a bill

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rodbender wrote:
We have an organization that is writing a bill to present to the Texas legislature this January. We need members also. Go to thelinkbelow for more info.

http://www.txcdl.org
your webmaster needs to fix the broken links on your homepage. it reflects very poorly on an organization that has multiple broken links on a home page.

rodbender

imported post

ilbob wrote:
rodbender wrote:
We have an organization that is writing a bill to present to the Texas legislature this January. We need members also. Go to thelinkbelow for more info.

your webmaster needs to fix the broken links on your homepage. it reflects very poorly on an organization that has multiple broken links on a home page.
It's a farely new site, but I will mention it to the webmaster.

talltexan

imported post

I have signed the on line petition and sent the link to my friends. I think that this is one of the most important issues we will face in the next session of our legislature. As a business owner that travels all over Texas, I would feel more secure with my weapon at my side.

To illustrate the need for open carry to pass, I offer the follow true story.

I was calling on a business in Houston that was in a bad part of town. I mentioned to the plant manager that we were in a bad part of Houston. His reply was that all four supervisors had weapons and several of his machinists had CCL and carried in the shop. I could not have felt more safe than if I were in the middle of a police station.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

with regards to writing a bill. Do we, as TXCDL, already have a state legislator willing to present this during the session? If so, who is that state representative?

rodbender

imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
with regards to writing a bill. Do we, as TXCDL, already have a state legislator willing to present this during the session? If so, who is that state representative?

I'm am not privy to that info. Gary posted saying that they would have a bill ready for the legislature by January. He knows more about that stuff than I do, so I don't question it. I assume hehas one, or is,at the veryleast, trying very hardto find one.

Re: Open carry TEXAS
by President on Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:22 pm

We will have our bill ready to go for this session.
Gary
Gary Williams
President Texas Citizens Defense League
president@txcdl.org
P.O. Box 4761
Bryan, Texas 77805

President

rodbender

imported post

ilbob wrote:
rodbender wrote:

Can you tell me which links. He wants to know. Some of the links he is still working on, so some may not be operable as yet.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rodbender wrote:
ilbob wrote:
rodbender wrote:

Can you tell me which links. He wants to know. Some of the links he is still working on, so some may not be operable as yet.

Maybe I clicked on links to things that don't exist yet. Better instead of a link for non-existent stuff just put "coming soon".

the FAQ link opens up a window that says:

403 - You are not authorised to view this resource.
You may not be able to visit this page because of:

1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.
"may newsletter link" says:

The page cannot be found

Ditto for the "contact" link.

D_Joyce

imported post

The web page doesn't even exist now and email is returned as undeliverable.

I, recently, contacted my State Senator to have a portion of the State's right to bear arms provision repealed. It is the phrase that they used to usurp power to deny carrying in an unapproved manner.

This lillte provision is what they claim allowed them to hamstring us into having to have a permit to carry.

We are required, by Texas law, to come to the aid of any Peace Officer that asks or demands it. Are you going to respond if you aren't armed? I'm not, but, we can go to jail if we don't go to his aid. Most don't know that we also have the right to arrest.

Think about it.

rodbender

imported post

D_Joyce wrote:
The web page doesn't even exist now and email is returned as undeliverable.

I, recently, contacted my State Senator to have a portion of the State's right to bear arms provision repealed. It is the phrase that they used to usurp power to deny carrying in an unapproved manner.

This lillte provision is what they claim allowed them to hamstring us into having to have a permit to carry.

We are required, by Texas law, to come to the aid of any Peace Officer that asks or demands it. Are you going to respond if you aren't armed? I'm not, but, we can go to jail if we don't go to his aid. Most don't know that we also have the right to arrest.

Think about it.
I don't know what happened to txcdl.org. Mike here at OCDO is working on the final draft ofa bill to take care of it.

D_Joyce

imported post

To take care of what? Is it more permission slips or are we going to be men and do what our God given right demands we do?

rodbender

imported post

D_Joyce wrote:
To take care of what? Is it more permission slips or are we going to be men and do what our God given right demands we do?

To take care of the open carry bill, what else? No permits or licenses of any kind. Isn't that what we are trying to do here? You need to read a little more of the posts here.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum51/15913.html

D_Joyce

imported post

[align=center][/align]
Tinkering with the law is a fool’s errand. Our problem lies with the Texas Constitution to whit;

[align=center]The Texas Constitution[/align]
[align=center]Article 1 - BILL OF RIGHTS[/align]
[align=center]Section 23 - RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS[/align]
Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime.

We must strike out “but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime.” because we all know that criminals do not obey the law.

This is in direct conflict with the law the Legislatures have passed requiring us to come to the aid of Peace Officers when requested or required.

[align=center]CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE[/align]
[align=center]CHAPTER 2. GENERAL DUTIES OF OFFICERS[/align]

Code:
Art. 2.14. MAY SUMMON AID. Whenever a [url=http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=VKPJDFRJBODV&CQ_QUERY_HANDLE=130253&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=40&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES#HIT0233][u][color=#0000ff]peace[/color][/u][/url][url=http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=VKPJDFRJBODV&CQ_QUERY_HANDLE=130253&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=40&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES#HIT0231][u][color=#0000ff][0][/color][/u][/url] [url=http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=VKPJDFRJBODV&CQ_QUERY_HANDLE=130253&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=40&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES#HIT0234][u][color=#0000ff]officer[/color][/u][/url][url=http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=VKPJDFRJBODV&CQ_QUERY_HANDLE=130253&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=40&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES#HIT0232][u][color=#0000ff][0][/color][/u][/url] meets with
Code:
resistance in discharging any duty imposed upon him by law, he shall summon a sufficient
Code:
number of citizens of his county to overcome the resistance; and all persons summoned
Code:
 are bound to obey.
Code:
Acts 1965, 59th Leg., vol. 2, p. 317, ch. 722.
Code:
[url=http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=VKPJDFRJBODV&CQ_QUERY_HANDLE=130253&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=40&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES#HIT0235][u][color=#0000ff]peace[/color][/u][/url][url=http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=VKPJDFRJBODV&CQ_QUERY_HANDLE=130253&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=40&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES#HIT0233][u][color=#0000ff][0][/color][/u][/url] [url=http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=VKPJDFRJBODV&CQ_QUERY_HANDLE=130253&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=40&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES#HIT0236][u][color=#0000ff]officer[/color][/u][/url][url=http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=VKPJDFRJBODV&CQ_QUERY_HANDLE=130253&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=40&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES#HIT0234][u][color=#0000ff][0][/color][/u][/url] who has
Code:
summoned any person to assist him in performing any duty shall report such person, if he
Code:
refuse to obey, to the proper district or county attorney, in order that he may be
Code:
prosecuted for the offense.
Code:
[size=3][font="Times New Roman"]Acts 1965, 59th Leg., vol. 2, p. 317, ch. 722.[/font][/size]

We, as citizens of the State of Texas, cannot discharge our lawful duties encumbered by the legislature’s penchant for unreasonable control.

rodbender

imported post

While I agree with changing the Texas Constitution is the best and asure fired way to end the discussion, it takes a vote of the people to change it. We have a lot of pro 2A people in the legislature along with a pro 2A Governor. I think our best shot right now is a legislative approach. We can deal with the Texas Constitution later. I think if we can get someone from each branch to sponsor it, it has a very good chance of passing, and Rick Perry will most likely sign it.A vote of the people will bring out every antiout from underevery rock, crack, and crevicein the country to kill the change.

D_Joyce

imported post

Most voters skip reading about constitutional amendments and go for the candidates. If it was put on the ballot to strike an unconstitutionalportion of the right to keep and bare arms statement, it would sail through before anyone even knew what it said.

rodbender

imported post

Like I said

A vote of the people will bring out every antiout from underevery rock, crack, and crevicein the country to kill the change.

Edit: BTW, we would still have to get the majority of legislators in both houses to vote to put it on the ballot. We have no referendum in Texas.

D_Joyce

imported post

I'm certain we are smart enough to handle them and send them packing.

SANDCREEK

imported post

The "power to regulate" is not "the power to prohibit". It is REASONABLE to regulate the wearing to some extent - to prevent crime.HOWEVER, the TX legislature has ABUSED it's constitutional power to regulate this RIGHT. A good casehas been already made that the Legislature of Texas CANNOT be entrusted with power to regulate A RIGHT.

Criminal conduct is one thing the legislature can deal with - without any constitutional empowerment. Regulating a RIGHT - maybe not.