• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How much is too much?

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So, I've been OCing regularly for about 4 or 5 months now, but as of right now I carry only my gun, a pocket knife, and my cell phone.

I read some of these forums and some of you seem to carry more stuff than batman. Gun with 2 reloads, BUG with reloads, OC spray, knife, voice recorder, cell phone, handouts and literature, baton, handcuffs, ham radio, lighter, flashlight, flairs, turniquate and bandages, morphine and 5 days worth of food and water.

All kidding aside, I'm trying to evaluate what is absolutely necessary to carry. I may begin carrying an extra magazine in case of a malfunction, but I'm not too worried, I've never had a malfunction in my Glock, magazine related or otherwise.

The only other thing I may consider carrying is OC spray, but I need to be able to evaluate when it would be appropriate to use and how the heck I would carry it. Adding more stuff to my belt just doesn't sound appealing and I usually wear semi-casual slacks with only normal pockets.

I'm just wondering where the rest of you draw the line between being prepared and going mall ninja. I like OCing and showing the public that normal people carry guns, but personally I think an entire bat belt full of stuff gives the impression of being anything but normal.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

While I understand those who carry more, I carry:
  • my gun
  • a spare magazine (shoot until the threat is neutralized)
  • a voice recorder (I can think of several instances where an OCDO member has been able to capture recordings that prove the relative objectivity of their report - and a few that don't)
  • my cell phone (I'd prefer to be the one who calls 911 first)
  • usually a tac-light, though I'm not well-trained in its use, and seriously doubt I could deploy it effectively. It ends up being useful for other things.
  • a knife. Again, I'm not trained and I doubt I could use it effectively. But it's handy.
If I'm some place I can't carry (on a military installation, for example), I don't have the first one. Where I currently work, the first two, since both guns and ammunition are banned. While the chance of being caught is slim, the outcome is career-ending, and I like my money too much for that.

Gunslinger

imported post

I carry enough to kill someone who needs to be killed. No more, no less. When I flew Phantoms and they briefed us on what to do if we ejected, the SAR expert reminded us we're not trained and won't be equipped to start a ground war. But if there was one KR between you and the chopper, it was a good idea to be prepared to make sure he didn't 'detain' you. Always stuck with me.

thx997303

imported post

I carry My XD9 tactical, one spare mag, a knife, and that's it. I will be getting a voice recorder very soon though.

SQLtables

imported post

asforme wrote:
So, I've been OCing regularly for about 4 or 5 months now, but as of right now I carry only my gun, a pocket knife, and my cell phone.

I read some of these forums and some of you seem to carry more stuff than batman. Gun with 2 reloads, BUG with reloads, OC spray, knife, voice recorder, cell phone, handouts and literature, baton, handcuffs, ham radio, lighter, flashlight, flairs, turniquate and bandages, morphine and 5 days worth of food and water.

All kidding aside, I'm trying to evaluate what is absolutely necessary to carry. I may begin carrying an extra magazine in case of a malfunction, but I'm not too worried, I've never had a malfunction in my Glock, magazine related or otherwise.

The only other thing I may consider carrying is OC spray, but I need to be able to evaluate when it would be appropriate to use and how the heck I would carry it. Adding more stuff to my belt just doesn't sound appealing and I usually wear semi-casual slacks with only normal pockets.

I'm just wondering where the rest of you draw the line between being prepared and going mall ninja. I like OCing and showing the public that normal people carry guns, but personally I think an entire bat belt full of stuff gives the impression of being anything but normal.

I know it's been said before, but there's a first for everything, and I sure as hell don't want to be unprepared when that first comes at the time I least need it to.

I carry my primary (usually my XD-40 service, sometimes XD-9 SC), two spare mags, a light, and my BlackBerry. That's on my belt, in my pockets I usually have two small pocket knives, usually one larget knife, and always my .38 J-Frame in my pockets.

I think I'm prepared just enough; cuffs and other things seem like overkill since I can't see every using them. The one thing my rig is lacking is a voice recorder, I WILL be getting one ASAP.

Harper1227

imported post

Tess wrote:
  • my gun
  • a voice recorder (I can think of several instances where an OCDO member has been able to capture recordings that prove the relative objectivity of their report - and a few that don't)
  • usually a tac-light, though I'm not well-trained in its use, and seriously doubt I could deploy it effectively. It ends up being useful for other things.
  • a knife. Again, I'm not trained and I doubt I could use it effectively. But it's handy.
If I'm some place I can't carry (on a military installation, for example), I don't have the first one. Where I currently work, the first two, since both guns and ammunition are banned. While the chance of being caught is slim, the outcome is career-ending, and I like my money too much for that.

+1 I'm in the same boat as you Tess with the work thing but we're not even supposed to carry knives. Day to day i've usually got my gun and my spare and my cell but I also have my husband who has gun, knife, 2 spares, surefire flashlight, cell, and god knows what else in those 5.11 pockets. :DI'd say we're prepared to neutralize the threat, unless its a full out zombie outbreak, than we'd have to head home and restock.

edit: spelling

SQLtables

imported post

Harper1227 wrote:
Tess wrote:
  • my gun
+1 I'm in the same boat as you Tess with the work thing but we're not even supposed to carry knives. Day to day i've usually got my gun and my spare and my cell but I also have my husband who has gun, knife, 2 spares, surefire flashlight, cell, and god knows what else in those 5.11 pockets. :DI'd say we're prepared to nuetralize the threat, unless its a full out zombie outbreak, than we'd have to head home and restock.
I'm buying a large sword of some kind (haven't decided next), so I'll be prepared for this... at least in my home, I doubt I'll OC the sword... :celebrate

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I carry a pocket knife, my pistol and usually one extra mag (in case of mag or ammo failure). I carry a small LED flashlight in my briefcase and in my car but not usually on my person. I pretty much have my cell phone with me 24/7.