Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firearm Sets Off Shoplifting Alarm?

Post imported post

Has anyone else noticed that when carrying a firearm, the shoplifting alarm on stores goes off when you enter/leave? I just began noticing this. About 80% of the time I enter a store now, the alarm goes off upon entrance and departure. It is kind of annoying, especially when they come to check my receipt and it turns out I did not buy anything. I then explain that my phone always sets off the alarm (because I am CCW).

I am 70% sure it is my firearm because when I do not carry it (and carry my same cell phone) the alarm does NOT go off when I go in/out.

Looking forward to your thoughts...

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Can't say I've ever had that happen. It was actually one of the primary things I was worried about when I first started OCing.

Post imported post

Never happens to me.

Post imported post

That's strange because those things aren't metal detectors as far as I know. They detect the magnetic signature of those tags you see haning from the clothes and those little magnetic strips they stick inside packages. You should be able to take metalic objects through those things without any trouble unless it is magnetized somehow. Might want to try a different gun and see if you have the same problem.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Maybe your gun still has a little id thinger that never got deactivated at the gun store. Are there any sticky things hiding on your gun? Maybe I'm grasping for straws.

Post imported post

I've never had an issue with them. Perhaps something you're wearing while you carry still has a magnetic tag on it?

Post imported post

If it only happens 70% of the time is it perhaps a couple tags that weren't removed from clothing you purchased? When it happens are you usually wearing the same clothing, that might be it. I have heard of it happening to people, who eventually found secret tags, or very small tags that weren;t noticed until through investigation. Or, the places you frequent have metal detectors installed for some reason.

Post imported post

Yes, I am aware of the magnetic tags. I know, that would seem like the logical answer, but it has happened on more than one occasion - and only when carrying - which is odd.

The reason I was wondering if it could be the firearm is because your cell phone CAN set off those shoplifter detectors. I am not sure why that is, but it is pretty well known that cell phones can set them off.

So I was not sure whether maybe the sheer amount of metal in a firearm could set it off too - but again, it is a magnetic detector. Hmmmm, I will have to troubleshoot this next time! ha ha! and make sure that I am completely free of magnetic strips and then see if it goes off.

Post imported post

Did you buy your gunbelt/holster from a retail shop? Might be something hidden there.

Post imported post

This happens to me at Macarthur mall but no where else. Almost every store I go into in that mall the alarm goes off when entering and exiting. Nothing happens at Lynnhaven mall. It's weird

Post imported post

I ALWAYS carry my cell when I'm armed, and I've NEVER set one fo those things off.

Yeh, I also worried about it when I first started carrying.

Post imported post

Maybe you just have a magnetic personality

Post imported post

I've had the same thing happen. My wife said it was because of the guns but I never thought so. Jim maybe we've been chipped without knowing.

Post imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
    I ALWAYS carry my cell when I'm armed, and I've NEVER set one fo those things off.

Yeh, I also worried about it when I first started carrying.
    Not all cell phones do it. For instance, my cell phone does not do it. But I have known people where it has happened to them. The stores always say, "It's probably just your cell phone."

It might be funny if next time I walk in and it goes off, and people say, "Oh, its just your cell phone," I should reply and go, "No, it's just my glock."

Post imported post

mitchd wrote:
    Did you buy your gunbelt/holster from a retail shop? Might be something hidden there.
    That's a good point I did not think of. Although I purchased the holster online, but I never thought that it could be the holster.

Post imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
    I've had the same thing happen. My wife said it was because of the guns but I never thought so. Jim maybe we've been chipped without knowing.
    Have you noticed any black helicopters or men in dark suits and glasses around when this happens?

:celebrate

Post imported post

You have a new wallet, or new shoes, or a new belt, or maybe even a new holster that has the security tag still on it. It is only the security tags that will set it off.

I had a new wallet with a tag hidden in the credit card compartments that was randomly setting off alarms for almost a year before I found it.

Edit:

Oh, and BTW, you might want to look under the grips and/or in the mag well to see if it has one of those tags..

Centurion

Post imported post

If something magnetized can set it off, I wonder if your gun has ever been near a strong magnet? I have never had this happen and I have gone through countless detectors with a variety of guns.

Post imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
    Have either of you noticed bright unexplained lights in the sky or a loss of time/missing memories? ET.

To stay on topic, I have been carrying for just over a year now and I have never had a problem like this happen to me. Stores or malls.

Post imported post

Jim Thorpe wrote:
    Has anyone else noticed that when carrying a firearm, the shoplifting alarm on stores goes off when you enter/leave? I just began noticing this. About 80% of the time I enter a store now, the alarm goes off upon entrance and departure. It is kind of annoying, especially when they come to check my receipt and it turns out I did not buy anything. I then explain that my phone always sets off the alarm (because I am CCW).

I am 70% sure it is my firearm because when I do not carry it (and carry my same cell phone) the alarm does NOT go off when I go in/out.

Looking forward to your thoughts...
    Happens to me all the time. I have noticed it mostly going in, not out. Mainly at Target, Circuit City. Seems strange it goes off when I go in and not out. I have yet to have anyone say anything to me. Tom

Post imported post

For those in the Hampton Roads area try it out the next time you go to Macarthur Mall. It doesn't do it in the bigger stores, Dillard's or Nordstrom but stores like A&F, Pacsun, and other little stores it does it every single time I go there. And it doesn't matter which gun I have at the time. No other mall in the area has this problem.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Not magnetism because it is subject to the inverse square law. More likely induction unbalancing a tuned circuit. Most likely an RFID. Personally speaking, I would not tolerate any suspicion of a surreptitious RFID tag.

I have seen them down to just a couple of millimeters on a side and heard of them smaller.

Find circumstances that set off such an alarm and use process of elimination to find the item. And eliminate your personal weapon first.

Post imported post

Okay folks, time to put some urban legends to rest. The devices at the front of stores are RFID sensors. They cannot be activated by any sort of magnet of magnetized item. They send out a short range radio pulse on a specific frequency. The "tag" that is affixed to items in the store can be a hanging tag, like at a leather store, but those are usually just die packs that rupture if you try to improprely remove the tag. That type is typically about three inches by one inch by 3/4 inch.

The type that you should be looking for is a strip about an inch long an 1/4 inch wide, or the other common style that is about one and 1/4 inches square. Both of these are basically flat, but the first type is about 2mm thick. These are USUALLY attached to the packaging for a given item in the vicinity of the barcode. This allows the tag to be fried by the system when it gets waved over that plate at the checkout. This disables the tag, which is basically a radio reflector that only emits a specific frequency.

Cell phones and other electronic devices cannot set off the alarms, but some retailers are putting the tags in the devices, because thieves have started removing the items from the packaging before leaving the store.

If you are clearly triggering the alarms, turn your clothes inside out and search every surface, including change pockets, between the pockets and the cloth on the inside. Check your wallet thoroughly. Check inside the battery compartment of your phone. Thoroughly check the holster for your gun. Remove the grips from your gun to check there. The mag well too. Lastly, check your shoes inside and out. You may have stepped on one that's still with you. Check the inside, too. Changing rooms are popular places for the thieves to remove the tags. You could have stepped on one and transferred it to the inside of your shoe. Don't forget inside your hat band if you wear a hat.

If you set off a sensor, wait a moment and try it again. If it still goes off, take your gun to your car, then try again. If that clears up the problem, its hidden in the fairly easy areas to access on the gun. Check the bottom plate on each magazine you carry as well.

Good luck!
    Dan

Post imported post

This whole posting is hilarious.

Post imported post

Have you been to the dentist right before this started? He may have put a transmitter in your filling or crown.He may have "chipped" a tooth for you.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast