• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearm Sets Off Shoplifting Alarm?

Jim Thorpe

imported post

Has anyone else noticed that when carrying a firearm, the shoplifting alarm on stores goes off when you enter/leave? I just began noticing this. About 80% of the time I enter a store now, the alarm goes off upon entrance and departure. It is kind of annoying, especially when they come to check my receipt and it turns out I did not buy anything. I then explain that my phone always sets off the alarm (because I am CCW).

I am 70% sure it is my firearm because when I do not carry it (and carry my same cell phone) the alarm does NOT go off when I go in/out.

Looking forward to your thoughts...

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Can't say I've ever had that happen. It was actually one of the primary things I was worried about when I first started OCing.

NavyBlue99TA

imported post

That's strange because those things aren't metal detectors as far as I know. They detect the magnetic signature of those tags you see haning from the clothes and those little magnetic strips they stick inside packages. You should be able to take metalic objects through those things without any trouble unless it is magnetized somehow. Might want to try a different gun and see if you have the same problem.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Maybe your gun still has a little id thinger that never got deactivated at the gun store. Are there any sticky things hiding on your gun? Maybe I'm grasping for straws.

trailblazer2003

imported post

If it only happens 70% of the time is it perhaps a couple tags that weren't removed from clothing you purchased? When it happens are you usually wearing the same clothing, that might be it. I have heard of it happening to people, who eventually found secret tags, or very small tags that weren;t noticed until through investigation. Or, the places you frequent have metal detectors installed for some reason.

Jim Thorpe

imported post

Yes, I am aware of the magnetic tags. I know, that would seem like the logical answer, but it has happened on more than one occasion - and only when carrying - which is odd.

The reason I was wondering if it could be the firearm is because your cell phone CAN set off those shoplifter detectors. I am not sure why that is, but it is pretty well known that cell phones can set them off.

So I was not sure whether maybe the sheer amount of metal in a firearm could set it off too - but again, it is a magnetic detector. Hmmmm, I will have to troubleshoot this next time! ha ha! and make sure that I am completely free of magnetic strips and then see if it goes off.

OBXFunn

imported post

This happens to me at Macarthur mall but no where else. Almost every store I go into in that mall the alarm goes off when entering and exiting. Nothing happens at Lynnhaven mall. It's weird

Jim Thorpe

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
I ALWAYS carry my cell when I'm armed, and I've NEVER set one fo those things off.

Yeh, I also worried about it when I first started carrying.
Not all cell phones do it. For instance, my cell phone does not do it. But I have known people where it has happened to them. The stores always say, "It's probably just your cell phone."

It might be funny if next time I walk in and it goes off, and people say, "Oh, its just your cell phone," I should reply and go, "No, it's just my glock."

Jim Thorpe

imported post

mitchd wrote:
Did you buy your gunbelt/holster from a retail shop? Might be something hidden there.
That's a good point I did not think of. Although I purchased the holster online, but I never thought that it could be the holster.

PavePusher

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
I've had the same thing happen. My wife said it was because of the guns but I never thought so. Jim maybe we've been chipped without knowing.

Have you noticed any black helicopters or men in dark suits and glasses around when this happens?

:celebrate

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You have a new wallet, or new shoes, or a new belt, or maybe even a new holster that has the security tag still on it. It is only the security tags that will set it off.

I had a new wallet with a tag hidden in the credit card compartments that was randomly setting off alarms for almost a year before I found it.

Edit:

Oh, and BTW, you might want to look under the grips and/or in the mag well to see if it has one of those tags..

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

If something magnetized can set it off, I wonder if your gun has ever been near a strong magnet? I have never had this happen and I have gone through countless detectors with a variety of guns.

sccrref

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
I've had the same thing happen. My wife said it was because of the guns but I never thought so. Jim maybe we've been chipped without knowing.

Have either of you noticed bright unexplained lights in the sky or a loss of time/missing memories? ET.

To stay on topic, I have been carrying for just over a year now and I have never had a problem like this happen to me. Stores or malls.

tjdempster

imported post

Jim Thorpe wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that when carrying a firearm, the shoplifting alarm on stores goes off when you enter/leave? I just began noticing this. About 80% of the time I enter a store now, the alarm goes off upon entrance and departure. It is kind of annoying, especially when they come to check my receipt and it turns out I did not buy anything. I then explain that my phone always sets off the alarm (because I am CCW).

I am 70% sure it is my firearm because when I do not carry it (and carry my same cell phone) the alarm does NOT go off when I go in/out.

Looking forward to your thoughts...
Happens to me all the time. I have noticed it mostly going in, not out. Mainly at Target, Circuit City. Seems strange it goes off when I go in and not out. I have yet to have anyone say anything to me. Tom