• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Walmart encounter

imported post

Well It had to happen to me sooner or later. I do my best to Avoid Walmart at all costs and normally spend my money else where, but sometimes when you need certain items they are the place to go to.So without further ado, here is my documented incident at WalmartAt approximately 10:20pm, Sat July 5th 2008, I entered the Walmart located on Glenwood an State St openly carrying my Kimber .45 in my hip holster. I grabbed a nearby cart and continued walking in, moments later an older gentleman (The store greeter) approached me from behind and positioned himself to my side, saying Sir, you can't carry a firearm in here, I asked why not? the greeter responded by stating "because it's store policy we don't allow firearms in the store". I asked if this policy was publicly posted, he paused and had no answer, he then asked if I was a LE officer, in which I said No. he then repeated that Walmart does not allow Firearms in the store. I told the old gent to have a nice night and turned around and exited the store, I walked back to my truck to secure my firearm, pulled my shirt over my now empty holster and walked back towards the store.

I was never asked to leave, Just told they do not allow civilians to legally carry a firearm in the store.

Upon walking into the store again, this time unarmed, The same old gent (greeter) seen me, this time he was mad dogging me and wasn't look at me, but was staring directly at the lump where my empty holster was located, The greeter said nothing as I walked by him, I then made my way to the Cleaning section where I needed some cleaning agents.

At this point I was half way down the isle of the cleaning section, when an older short grey hair lady hollered at me from the end of the isle saying "We Don't allow firearms in the Store" I turned, looked at the lady, lifted up the right side of my shirt exposing my now empty holster, and hollered back "Does this look like a firearm to you?" she noticed my holster was empty and walked away.

It's obvious the old greeter thought I re-entered the store concealing my firearm because of the bulge created by my empty holster under my shirt, and alerted other staff to deal with the "situation".

After selecting the items I needed, I exited the isle and observed the same lady who just hollered at me talking to 3 other people, I approached the older lady to ask why the store policy on firearms is not publicly posted, as I was approaching the lady and 3 others, I could hear one of the others saying "These people scare our customers, that's why we don't allow it", she paused for a moment glancing at the others, and then said "These people are strange and weird" While I didn't hear her directly reference me, it was obvious she was referring to me, and those of us who exercise our 2nd amendment rights.

When I approached their location, I politely asked the older lady who had just hollered at me moments earlier why they don't publicly post their firearms policy, the older lady side stepped and pointed to the other lady who was addressing the others with the above statements and introduced her as "Cheryl" the store manager. I asked Cheryl why they don't allow firearms? she responded and stated that Walmart is private property, and that it's their store policy. I asked why this policy is not publicly posted? she just looked at me and didn't provide an answer, she then offered to provide me the contact information of their legal team to address this policy, I politely responded with a "No thanks", and said I would be contacting Corporate about this incident and walked away.

After paying for my items and walking down the hall of shame, I noticed the old greeter sitting down, as I got closer to the exit, he noticed me, stood up, took a couple steps forward while staring intently at me, at this point I was expecting him to ask me to see my reciept, in fact I was hoping he would, so I could tell him to politely piss off, as this is now my Property, but the greeter never asked me :( I was disappointed.

Once I got to my truck, I re-holstered my weapon and drove down the street to Los Betos mexican resturant on State St and had a kick ass super nacho meal, while OC'ing there without incident, the place was actually packed with about 30-35 people. young and old were all having a good time laughing and eating.

the Cashier/Order taker knows me as a regular customer, and is always admiring my firearms, and has told me he doesn't mind it at all. I have often educated the workers and the manager about thier gun rights, the manager at this location approves of me OC'ing my firearm, as they were once robbed at Gunpoint about a year ago, and feels safer when his customers are armed.

While on the subject of Los Betos, I spotted a young man OC'ing a revolver at Los Betos a couple weeks ago, after finishing my meal. I approached the young man and asked if he was a member on here, it turned out to be BlackFox who is a regular member here.

in short, gonna generate a nice letter and shoot it off to Corporate tomorrow. I doubt it will change anything, but you can bet I won't be spending a single penny there from now on.

Grrrrr:cuss:

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Actually, my understanding from others who have dealt with this is that Wal-Mart takes this issue very seriously, and any manager who is loosing them business may end up looking for a job.

Walmart's official policy is to mirror state law.

DocWalker

imported post

Hello, This is my first post as I just started reading this web site a week ago and just logged in. I just retired from the USAF after 22 years and settled down in Mountain Home Idaho. I have carried a conceled weapon for over 3 years and just decieded to open carry do to a article I read in the Idaho paper about 3 weeks ago; plus the hot weather makes it easier and more comfortable in the summer to open carry. I work at the base with security and carry a weapon at work all day and feel comfortable with open carry when not at work. I talked to the local PD and Sherif department before I opened carried and they warned me about wallmart as their officers get challaged when they enter. Due to Wall-mart being the only store in Mountain Home it is going to be hard for me to avoid them but I will go out of my way to avoid them and even pay more for something at another store here in town. I wish there was something that could be done about wallmart and there phobia....Hey maybe we can let all the peopel being released from prison and jail know that nobody has a wespon at wallmart they would be a easy score...lol But seriously if I seen a wallmart employee being attacked all I could say is enjoy the beating I'm not armed.

DocWalker

Hiredgun30

imported post

you should of asked them if the (no guns allowed) policy was made by
(the walmart board of directors) AKA RED CHINA

as far as walmart goes.. id rather spend more and go to a ma and pa shop.

Hiredgun30

imported post

i OC at los betos in nampa all the time... no issues...

I oc'ed at lake lowell yesterday, lots of stares
my stepdads desert eagle 50ae on his hip made my glock look like a toy.

Gryphon

imported post

This sounds strikingly similar to an encounter I had early on the morning of the fourth at this same walmart. I'll bet it was even the same manager team that confronted me. Had to run in to Work at HP for a bit before going back home to get ready for the day's events. Walked right in with my XD 45 in a Blackhawk Serpa, no words spoken to me at all. Almost get done with my shopping and two managers come up from behind to tell me about policy, how to contact the legal team, and to please remove the weapon from the property. Suffice it to say, they didn't get my money.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

asforme wrote:
Walmart's official policy is to mirror state law.

I have heard this many times and have read many posts saying the same thing. Do you know where we can find documentation saying this?

imported post

Gryphon wrote:
two managers come up from behind to tell me about policy, how to contact the legal team.
Short heavy set gal, brown hair? Wait. that describes half the employees.

Gryphon

imported post

563 wrote:
Short heavy set gal, brown hair? Wait. that describes half the employees.

Actually, that sounds like her. The other one was thinner and a bit taller. She was an assistant manager and did all the talking. When I requested a written copy of this policy, they denied it without so much as a hint of hesitation and told me I could take it up with the legal department. :cuss:

Eagleeye

imported post

Hiredgun30 wrote:
my stepdads desert eagle 50ae on his hip made my glock look like a toy.
Always wondered what reactions OC of a DE would get.

Wonder the same about OC of a fullsize 500 Mag

BrianEMT

imported post

Seems this Walmart has been giving people problems up and down...

I say we get at least 20 people together who have shopping to do, and all meet there at the same time. They may be stupid, but they aren't stupid enough to turn down 20 paying customers...

I have been to the Boise Walmart more than five times now, no problems or questions asked.

bourneshooter

imported post

... nothing nice to say about walmart...

:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

Somebody with money needs to sue WalMart out of America. Do the McCarthy on them. Means that its a fact they support communism.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

I also have not had an issue with this Walmart....could happen any time though.

BrianEMT wrote:
I say we get at least 20 people together who have shopping to do, and all meet there at the same time. They may be stupid, but they aren't stupid enough to turn down 20 paying customers...

I agree, but we meet up around the corner. We send people in one at a time, a couple minutes apart.We do our shopping separately and have them deal with us separately, not as a group. It would be difficult to chase 20 people around the store.

Domandred

imported post

This is the same Walmart I shop at and I always carry concealed there, I haven't jumped into the open carry world yet except on rare occasions. There is no posting on any doors about no weapons that I have seen (course I don't really look for them either). That said in some cases stores have a no-weapons policy for employees but employees think that (and many other employee policies) applies to customers as well.

In this particular case though the store employee had absolutely NO BUSINESS yelling to you from the other end of an isle that guns aren't allowed in the store. That would scare customers more then you open carrying. Customers don't notice guns on holsters but they would notice some lady yelling about it.

DocWalker

imported post

Here is one I found online at another wallmart.

[align=left]Wal-Mart Gun Policy Saves New Mexico Woman's Life
class=contentPosted on Friday, August 26 @ 12:27:11 EDT by jeff
class=content
Ohioans have learned that Wal-Mart stores have consistently removed any "No Guns" signs posted by local management. Ohioans For Concealed Carry has learned that the majority of these signs are the result of local management being duped by "compliance kits" mailed out with the impression that the signs are required by law.

Wal-Mart corporate operations have repeatedly required every single sign to be taken down promptly when representatives or members of Ohioans For Concealed Carry have reported a rogue posting.

Wal-Mart's policy is made clear by this consistent behavior: Holstered firearms in possession of the law-abiding citizen are not prohibited in their stores.

A New Mexico woman is alive today thanks to the fact this policy is enforced nationwide with Wal-Mart.
New Mexico Wal-Mart shoppers who witnessed a woman being stabbed yesterday now understand why law-abiding gun owners desire a means to protect themselves, and in rare cases, others whose lives are in immediate danger with the imminent risk of death.

Friends of a woman whose name has not been released told Albuquerque (New Mexico) television stations that the injured woman recently obtained a useless restraining order against her ex-husband. While the restraining order tells us quite a bit about the situation, yet again it has proven to be a nearly useless tool for self-defense or prevention of violence.

Despite a court order to stay away from his ex-wife, a man entered a Wal-Mart store and attempted to kill her.

According to Tuscaloosa News, a man whose name has also not been released was in the New Mexico Wal-Mart when he came upon a domestic dispute where a man was repeatedly stabbing a woman.

The unknown man intervened, opening fire on the attacker, saving the life of the badly injured ex-wife.

The knife-wielding attacker died from his injuries.

From tuscaloosanews.com: [/align]
  1. Police spokeswoman Trish Hoffman said a witness told authorities that a man had been stabbing the woman inside the store when another man intervened and shot her attacker.

Hoffman said the stabbing appeared to stem from a domestic dispute. She did not know the relationship between the woman and the dead man, but friends of the woman told Albuquerque television stations that she had recently obtained a restraining order against her ex-husband.

"It looks like it's a possibility that the guy who shot the other man will be justified," Hoffman said. "From what witnesses are telling us, it corroborates his story that the male was stabbing the female and he intervened."
Had this poor woman been in a retail store that prohibited firearms for self protection, chances are the man who saved her life would have been turned away at the door, shopped elsewhere, or left his firearm elsewhere.

This woman is alive today because Wal-Mart has taken the high road and made the right decision that has resulted in one innocent woman's life being saved. We all owe a debt of gratitude both to Wal-Mart for bucking the politically correct “easy” decision, and the unknown individual whose life will never be the same after being forced to defend someone he didn’t know.

When most stores and managers are approached to remove their signs the first question they ask is "Why do you think you'd need a gun in here?" -- due to yesterday's unfortunate events we can point to a reason that nobody can deny.

The New Mexico Wal-Mart situation could happen anywhere, at any time, and to anyone of us, armed or not.

DocWalker

DocWalker

imported post

They just keep comming......

A funny thing happened on the way out of the Wal-mart...

Gun owner receives apology from police chief
Chief's letter, more training follow officer's confusion, threat of arrest
By Matt Lakin (Contact)
Saturday, September 22, 2007

Michael Patrick

Trevor Putnam, who was stopped while he legally carried his gun inside a Wal-Mart by an officer who was mistaken about the state’s gun permit laws, received an apology from Police Chief Sterling P. Owen IV.
Trevor Putnam knew the gun laws. The officer who stopped him didn’t.
“When I told him that I hadn’t done anything, he said he’d find a reason to put me in jail,” said Putnam, 24, who works with guns every day as vice president of Coal Creek Armory in West Knoxville.

“It’s not that I have a problem with police officers. I deal with police officers nationwide from Arizona to Maine every day. But I lost my confidence in a legal right that I knew I had.”

Knoxville police officers will get a refresher course on the state’s gun permit laws after an officer who didn’t know the law stopped, frisked and threatened to arrest Putnam for legally carrying a gun inside a Wal-Mart this summer.

Officer Glenn Todd Greene’s actions June 21 at the store on Walbrook Drive in West Knoxville earned him a written reprimand and remedial training for rudeness and not knowing the law, Internal Affairs records show. He’s worked for the Knoxville Police Department for about seven years.

Putnam got a written apology from Police Chief Sterling P. Owen IV.

“The officer was wrong I want to personally apologize to you for any embarrassment or inconvenience you may have suffered as a result of this incident,” the chief wrote.

“The Knoxville Police Department takes pride in the training offered to its officers, and the training provided far exceeds state requirements. Unfortunately, officers aren’t perfect, and sometimes mistakes are made. As you can see from the remedial measures taken, we want to learn from our mistakes so they won’t be repeated in the future.”

The trouble started when Putnam and his girlfriend, Samantha Williams, stopped at the store to buy groceries around 10 p.m. Putnam, who holds a gun permit, carried his Colt handgun inside with him, holstered on his right hip.

“It’s like a seat belt or a fire extinguisher,” he said. “It goes everywhere with me. It was warm that night, so I left my jacket in the car.”

State law allows gun permit holders to carry their guns openly or concealed. Putnam said he usually tucks his shirt over the gun but forgot to that night.

As they walked out, Greene, who’d gone to the store to investigate a shoplifting call, told Putnam to stop. Greene asked for Putnam’s identification, grabbed his arm when he reached for his wallet and then asked why he carried a gun in public, records show.

Putnam ended up against a concrete wall being frisked as Greene took his gun.

“It’s called a concealed carry permit. State law says you carry it concealed, not in plain view (with the) hammer back,” Greene said. “I’ve been doing this for 12 years. I can put you in jail for something. It’s called inducing a panic.”

Greene ultimately let Putnam go after talking with another officer but told him to pull his shirt over the gun. He told Internal Affairs investigators he thought Tennessee and Ohio, where he previously served as a police officer, prohibited open carrying. Neither state does.

“There’s an issue there where there could be panic,” he said in a recorded statement. “I’m thinking the law is a concealed law. I’m not going to deal with a guy that has a loaded gun until I secure a weapon.”

Greene said he asked other officers about the law and that they didn’t know, either.

Investigators reviewed video from Greene’s in-car camera and found him in violation of KPD policy. They sustained part of Putnam’s complaint but ruled Greene hadn’t used excessive force in putting him against the wall.

Putnam questions that decision.

“On the one hand, I’m glad they didn’t ignore it,” he said. “On the other, I don’t feel it was a wholly appropriate response to everything the officer threatened to do.”

The department trains all recruits on the state’s gun permit laws, said KPD Lt. Jeff Stiles, who oversees training for the department. All officers will get another dose of training during the next annual session, he said.

“We don’t get that many questions about it over here,” Stiles said. “But we cover that aspect. We go straight to the experts to teach the law. We don’t guess, and we don’t speculate.”

Matt Lakin may be reached at 865-342-6306.

DocWalker

BrianEMT

imported post

Absolutely agree with the last four posts...

I think we can get something together to raise awareness, there just has to be enough advance notice for people to check back here and RSVP.

imported post

Sent off a nice email today, only problem was walmarts website only allows for 2999 characters. my email was 5200 charaters long, so had to butcher it down a bit.

Reminded me of the office joke some of you may have seen, where the complaint form is the size of a postage stamp :cuss:

BrianEMT

imported post

Sorry to segway from the topic here, but I've heard previously that the Boise Costco is supposed to be absolutely against OC, and have asked several people to leave.

Today I walk in and see their "Mission Statement" and right at the top "1. Obey the law."

I stood there for a second and said "Pssssh...what a load of crap."