• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is switching from cc'ing to oc'ing illegal?

RIAShooter

imported post

Hi guys and gals, I'm new to this forum so bear with me. I was wondering if I was ccing (say I was wearing a long shirt, with my 1911 on a hip holster so it was concealed) and then take off my long shirt, so then it would be oc'ing, I was told this could be constrewed as brandishing. What if anything would make this illegal?

N00blet45

imported post

I did a search and found only two statutes with the word 'brandish'. One was about not brandishing a firearm while in your vehicle on school property and another was about doing something similar while on an employer's property if they do not allow employees to carry firearms at work. I didn't find an actual offense such as brandishing a weapon. It's either named something else or doesn't exist in the KRS.

I would be mindful of your surroundings. If you're at the mall or in a store and you take your shirt off to reveal a firearm that might make people more nervous than if you just walked in OCing. It's kind of like the guy who had his firearm sticking out of his pocket. While not illegal since he had a CDWL it is still suspicious. I would probably go to a more private area if I was going to go from CC to OC, say a bathroom or to my car.

RIAShooter

imported post

Dually noted, I'm one of the only ones, if not the only one who open carries in Northern Ky, (I've never seen anyone else, forgive me if I'm wrong), so I don't wanna give leo's any reason to harass me, although I do know a few Boone County Sheriffs, so I don't forsee any big problems.

tito887

imported post

how far are you from any of these towns: campbellsburg (where I'm living soon),emminence, new castle, le grange. maybe you won't be the only one for long. I will be going to UofL this semester

tito887

imported post

I'm surprised we don't have more people posting in the kentucky forums.

v8shoguy

imported post

I think this has been addressed before. While the act of switching from CC to OC isn't illegal, it can raise suspicion. Although KY doesn't have any "printing" law and OC is legal, it was decided in another post that "peek-a-boo" was probably a bad idea. Not saying that this is what you're doing, but any change in status raises attention. I've gathered many wary looks doing the trunk shuffle in OH, although it's perfectly legal and, in fact, the only way a non-CCW driver can excercise their OC rights once back on foot in that state.

As for OC, I carry on my motorcycle every time I'm down that way, OC pretty much everywhere I go in KY except for when I hit up the local nightlife.

N00blet45

imported post

RIAShooter wrote:
N00blet45 wrote:
Seems there is always someone OCing in Kentucky, just not close by.

Maybe we should have an OC get together or something.
I would be up for it
I'm new to the state so I wouldn't be the best to pick a place to meet up. I'm not picky about place either. Maybe if we get a few more people we could hammer out some details.

I haven't seen many down in my area on the forum. Most seem to be over near the western and northern ends of the state. So I am willing to go across the state if I have to.

RIAShooter

imported post

From what I've read in here there are quite a few from the lexington and louisville area, haven't heard of anyone from NKY except sounds like V8shoguy is from some where around here.

RIAShooter

imported post

v8shoguy wrote:
I think this has been addressed before. While the act of switching from CC to OC isn't illegal, it can raise suspicion. Although KY doesn't have any "printing" law and OC is legal, it was decided in another post that "peek-a-boo" was probably a bad idea. Not saying that this is what you're doing, but any change in status raises attention. I've gathered many wary looks doing the trunk shuffle in OH, although it's perfectly legal and, in fact, the only way a non-CCW driver can excercise their OC rights once back on foot in that state.

As for OC, I carry on my motorcycle every time I'm down that way, OC pretty much everywhere I go in KY except for when I hit up the local nightlife.
Ha ha if your talking about mainstrasse, yeah you definintly get funny looks for open carrying in Covington, I lived down there for about 4 or 5 months, when I was helping my step dad remodel a house on 5th street, and they don't care if your not going into the bars they don't want you anywhere near it.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Illegal in general no. Illegal if you are in the middle of an argument or a situation where exposing it could be considered in any way a threat? Probably.

I find that with most carry issues, the more relaxed and casual you are the less excited people around you will be. No too long ago I was CC when I pulled into a gas station in the early morning with jeans, tucked in golf shirt and a jacket with my sidearm on my hip in a SERPA covered by the jacket. It was just warming up enough to take off my jacket. I got out of the car, took off my jacket and tossed it in the backseat, filled my tank and went in to get coffee. No big deal. Nothing that could be construed as a threat to anyone. Never actually touched the pistol or did anything that could be seen as showing off my sidearm. Just took off my jacket which incidentally exposed my sidearm. I would think that just taking off a shirt when wearing layers would be much the same.

This may sound weird, but in KY or other places where I can CC or OC legally I generally treat my pistol pretty much as I treat my cell phone on my belt when I am not answering a call. I don't try to hide it or try to expose it. It is exposed or hidden as is most natural and most comfortable for what I am wearing. I just don't treat it as if it is a big deal and thus far it hasn't been a big deal to anyone else including LE. I'm casual about it but not oblivious or reckless.

jbradford1

imported post

HI there, just stumbled on the web site and joined. I am also from N.KY. I havent OC'd yet but am awaiting my CCW permit. I have thought about OCing but really didnt want to be the first on my block....I am up for a N. KY. meeting though.