• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I almost experienced the "shirt tail in trigger guard" syndrome!

nova

imported post

Yesterday I was in my garage loading up before heading out to the OC dinner, and when holstering my XD I noticed some resistance...so I stopped, and lifted the gun straight up. Yep! my shirt tail had found its way into my trigger guard above the holster. If I had ignored the resistence I almost certainly would have had an ND into either my leg, foot, or concrete floor, since I had my hand on the grip while reholstering (grip safety depressed) and the shirt tail would have pulled the trigger safety back.

I'll have to be more careful in the future. Oh and before anyone says I should just keep it loaded 24/7, I would, but my father said not to. His house, his rules. In the mean time (until I can get him to better understand the purpose of having a gun at home in the first place) I'll have to just keep carrying my .38 concealed and out of sight at home :)

swillden

imported post

nova wrote:
Yesterday I was in my garage loading up before heading out to the OC dinner, and when holstering my XD I noticed some resistance...so I stopped, and lifted the gun straight up. Yep! my shirt tail had found its way into my trigger guard above the holster. If I had ignored the resistence I almost certainly would have had an ND into either my leg, foot, or concrete floor, since I had my hand on the grip while reholstering (grip safety depressed) and the shirt tail would have pulled the trigger safety back.
When holstering, I've trained myself to put my thumb on the back of the slide, which lifts the web between thumb and index finger off of the grip safety. Not only does this mean the grip safety is not engaged when holstering, it also lets me feel the cocked indicator while holstering, as a confirmation that the weapon is ready to go.

I've wondered if this habit is overcautiousness, but your story makes me glad I do it.

nova

imported post

I'll have to do that in the future...I'll have to practice holstering and drawing more at home (unloaded of course) so that I don't screw up when it counts.

Gunslinger

imported post

nova wrote:
I'll have to do that in the future...I'll have to practice holstering and drawing more at home (unloaded of course) so that I don't screw up when it counts.
Or get a 1911/BHP and carry hammer down. Another reason I don't like striker fired pistols.

nova

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
nova wrote:
Or get a 1911/BHP and carry hammer down. Another reason I don't like striker fired pistols.

Why not carry a BHP cocked and locked? I have one btw, just need to feed it more at the range to confirm reliability before carrying it...oh yeah...also need a good OC holster for it too :D

Funny though...this is my first striker gun (well, besides my mauser rifle :lol: )

VAopencarry

imported post

I also put my thumb on the back of the slide and never holster my XD with the grip safety depressed. It's there might as well take advatage of it.

thx997303

imported post

I also do this, It's a really good idea.

I just realized something, the slide wont cycle unless you depress the grip safety.

I never knew that before.

Harper1227

imported post

nova wrote:

I'll have to be more careful in the future. Oh and before anyone says I should just keep it loaded 24/7, I would, but my father said not to. His house, his rules. In the mean time (until I can get him to better understand the purpose of having a gun at home in the first place) I'll have to just keep carrying my .38 concealed and out of sight at home :)
This is why I just OC naked. no dreaded tangles :lol:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't put my thumb on the back of the slide, however, I do holster my XD with my hand position such that the backstrap safety is not depressed. Glad the situation did not turn out badly.

And Harper1227 - :lol:

Gunslinger

imported post

nova wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
nova wrote:

Why not carry a BHP cocked and locked? I have one btw, just need to feed it more at the range to confirm reliability before carrying it...oh yeah...also need a good OC holster for it too :D

Funny though...this is my first striker gun (well, besides my mauser rifle :lol: )
I'm used to carrying my Hi-Power on half cock. Some don't like this method, but I've been doing it for over 30 years. The safety is too small, for my taste, to carry c&l--just my opinion, and I don't want to replace anything on a classic in 100% condition from 1969. Uncle Mike makes excellent--and inexpensive, holsters for CC on the BHP. So does Fobus, btw.

nova

imported post

Yeah the HP I have is a former military gun (Argentina), has all the original 'small' parts. The previous owner had Duracoated it as well. I don't have a problem operating the safety though since I basically sweep my thumb down the side of that area and I can hit the safety every time. Since the one I have doesn't have much 'collector value' I was thinking about getting an extended safety sometime. It's not high on my priorities list but its something I've thought about.