• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC incident: Buckroe Beach

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

So let me get this straight.

The Hampton LEO, thought Dan might be a felon, therefore he should have put his gun in the car?
:banghead:

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dan, that was beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Might be good to send a copy of that to the Chief of Police to let him know his officers"level of education" regarding the law.

mobeewan

imported post

They were supposed to be educated due to the illegal ordinances Hampton had banning guns at Baydays. Even though the chief of police and the city atty both told the council that the laws were unenforcible Council refused to recind the laws. The Chief was said he would make sure the officers were informed about open carry. But then that has been a couple years. Maybe they need a refresher.:banghead:

thx997303

imported post

Yes, we all want to know what kind of recorder you used, the recording was great!

Keep up the good work Danbus!

Thundar

imported post

1. You would think with the recent VCDL picnic right next door in Newport News that they would have gotten the memo.

2. 1.5 pages of replies and no derisive postings yet.

3. This brings us back to thefun old days, when OC was an activist endeavor.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

I picked up a couple of these on ebay and run the wire right down the inside of my shirt.

minimic.jpg

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dan, great job. I second the motion to send the recording to HPD Chief. His officers were wrong on several issues. They need a little refresher.

Sheriff

imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
Dan, great job. I second the motion to send the recording to HPD Chief. His officers were wrong on several issues. They need a little refresher.

Let me tell you a little secret. Let's start with an example.... you're driving down the road when a Sam's Cleaning Service van cuts you off in traffic. This van almost took the front fender off your new $95,000 Mercedes. You call Sam's Cleaning Service and file a complaint on the driver. The manager sympathizes with you and promises to take corrective action once his driver gets back to the shop. You feel much better now.

But after the manager hung up the phone, he fell out of his chair rolling in the floor with laughter. Because his driver is his son, his relative, or his best friend.

I am no longer working at a sheriff's office or a police department, so I can tell you the truth now. It's the same way in police departments. After getting a phone call or written complaint..... they laugh. And they start trying to figure out how they can continue to make you look like the bad guy throughout this complaint process while protecting what they call "family". The "us vs them" attitude is alive and well in law enforcement.

Once the chief hears anything about this beach encounter, I am willing to bet the first words out of his mouth are, "What the hell were they doing carrying guns on my beach!!?" The second sentence out of his mouth will probably be, "We'll teach these little scum bags who's in charge!!" Then the cityattorney will tell the police to calm down and to remember that this thing could blow up in their faces if they go off all half cocked and say or do anything stupid. The city attorney will remind them of what the law is, whether they want to hear it or not.

Their remedial training will consist of the chief telling the troops, "Look guys, if you seesome little SOB carrying a gun on my beach, it's legal! Look for some other reason to arrest him and remove him from my beach!" The chief will then issue a press release stating, "We have advised our officers of the legality of open carry, and they have been instructed on how to act in the future!"

MetalChris

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Their remedial training will consist of the chief telling the troops, "Look guys, if you seesome little SOB carrying a gun on my beach, it's legal! Look for some other reason to arrest him and remove him from my beach!" The chief will then issue a press release stating, "We have advised our officers of the legality of open carry, and they have been instructed on how to act in the future!"
A lot of LEOs these days are actually AEOs (Agenda Enforcement Officers.) Too many "L"EO agencies have no interest whatsoever in the law.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MetalChris wrote:
A lot of LEOs these days are actually AEOs (Agenda Enforcement Officers.) Too many "L"EO agencies have no interest whatsoever in the law.
Thank you. I now know what to call them should I ever be confronted with nothing but their "opinion". And when I do so I will be sure to have my pen recorder running.

Sheriff

imported post

News sure does travel fast here on the Intraweb! :lol:

I have already had a cop Instant Message me this morning and say, "Why don't you shut the hell up? The public doesn't need to know all of this sh*t!"

nova

imported post

Sheriff wrote:

I have already had a cop Instant Message me this morning and say, "Why don't you shut the hell up? The public doesn't need to know all of this sh*t!"

If that's true then it shows there is still an "us vs. them" attitude floating around out there...

sccrref

imported post

Sheriff wrote:

I hope that you informed him/her that you are no longer one of the "us" but are now proudly a "them".:celebrate

2a4all

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Reverend73 wrote:
Dan, great job. I second the motion to send the recording to HPD Chief. His officers were wrong on several issues. They need a little refresher

Danbus, let me say up front that I think you did a great job here, and your g/f did exactly the right thing by staying silent and being a good witness. Did she have a recorder too? If you get arrested, they'll take yours, and oops, what recording....

I'm (little) surprised tho, that the LEOs didn't simply try to order you off the beach for "...some other reason..." like disturbing the peace or being a public nusiance, without even mentioning your gun, as (they said) they were responding to calls about a man with a gun.

KUTGW!!!

xd.40

imported post

Not verbatim:

Officer: Why are you carrying out here?

Dan: Cause I can't fit one of you in my pocket.

HAHAHAHA! Now THAT was awesome!