Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stanislaus Open Carry Meetup!

State Researcher

Post imported post

This event is open to all who want to attend, but will require you to RSVP so we can reserve a large enough table!

This event will be July 19 at 12:00 in Turlock. The venue will be very close to Hwy 99 on/near Monte Vista Avenue (north side of town). There's several good places very near the freeway and no schools nearby to spoil the venue.

After lunch, my hope is to organize some flier distribution, maybe in front of the police department or city hall. I've checked and it looks like there's a 'school zone'-free route and both fall well outside the nearest school zones. So both are very strong options. Maybe we'll leaflet both areas.

Open carry is not required, but is encouraged.

If you are interested and think you can make it please PM me. Let's show the city of Turlock that we're here to stay!

ETA: When you RSVP, please give me your name and a number where I can reach you.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

State Researcher

Post imported post

bump

over 50 views and no takers yet... I'm doing this either way, but it would be nice to show Turlock PD that I'm not just some lone prankster getting off from their attention.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

I'd be happy to come down to Turlock and participate. I'm just trying to get the ex to take the kids that day so that I may do so....

I think that especially with your recent brush with TPD, this is the time and the place to help bring the OC into a positive light.

Either way, 85% committed as of right now, Hell, might just come down with the kids anyway.

Post imported post

My hubby and I would love to come but, we will be out of state for a wedding. Maybe a reschedule, if there are no other takers? Normally, DH works weekends so another day of the week would be better for us too.

I would love to support you against TPD.

Post imported post

I'm in. PM in your box.

Education......make that RE-education is the key. Open carry was the accepted norm in this state/country, but simply fell out of fashion in society.

Well poo. Let's remind law enforcement that it's not the good guys they need to worry about, and should praise us for being willing to lift some burden from them.....

...no matter how much Sarah cries crocodile tears.

Post imported post

got a proximity map possibly?

I am from Fresno and want to map the "area" to see how long of a drive I would be in store for.

State Researcher

Post imported post

MapQuest Destination

This is the offramp; the meetup will be within a mile of this location.

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

thnx

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    MapQuest Destination

This is the offramp; the meetup will be within a mile of this location.

State Researcher

Post imported post

So far we have 2 armed and 3 unarmed attendees lined up for this event. (I'm trying to locate a firearm for one of the observers to carry.) It occurred to me that city hall will likely be deserted on Saturday, but I still intend on delivering some fliers to Turlock PD as they will likely be open. I may also also use this opportunity to deliver my official complaint (my redress for greivances, if you will).

Hope you can make it. The more the better.

Don't Tread On Me.

State Researcher

Post imported post

UPDATE: Just spoke to a reporter at the Modesto Bee. Apparently she was contacted by the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Office. She didn't give specifics, but said that the Turlock Police chief sent some sort of advisory to the SO regarding the encounter I had last Saturday.

I'll be meeting with the reporter this weekend to discuss details, but it she sounded interested in the story and perked up when I mentioned this event. My hope is that the Bee will be in attendance. This makes it that much more important to have people show up! Armed or not your attendance would be helpful in showing support! The more people I have committed to attending the more likely they are to get involved.

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

92.0mi – about 1 hour 29 mins from where I am. I will hopefully find out soon enough if I can come as well as how many others I can bring with me from Fresno/Clovis to participate in this. It isn't FAR enough away not too IF I have that date available.

If I can go, I hope to bring 3 others with me as well.

Post imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    UPDATE: Just spoke to a reporter at the Modesto Bee. Apparently she was contacted by the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Office. She didn't give specifics, but said that the Turlock Police chief sent some sort of advisory to the SO regarding the encounter I had last Saturday.

I'll be meeting with the reporter this weekend to discuss details, but it she sounded interested in the story and perked up when I mentioned this event. My hope is that the Bee will be in attendance. This makes it that much more important to have people show up! Armed or not your attendance would be helpful in showing support! The more people I have committed to attending the more likely they are to get involved.
    I'mdetecting some missing information... (Spidey senses are tingling...)

1) How did the reporter locate you- or did you call her?

2) Advisory? Can we assume this advisory was brought to the attention of the reporter through a PRA or a FOIA request? Or was it a 'gift' of the Turlock PD? Do you know the means by which she came about this information?
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

ConditionThree wrote:

I just called her - she seems pretty motivated to research this issue and report!

Post imported post

I told my wife I'm going to Turlock to get arrested...she said to be home by lunch on Sunday

LOL! I love that woman!

State Researcher

Post imported post

ConditionThree wrote:

2) Advisory? Can we assume this advisory was brought to the attention of the reporter through a PRA or a FOIA request? Or was it a 'gift' of the Turlock PD? Do you know the means by which she came about this information?
    You're not the only one...

1) I called the editor, introduced myself, and then asked if he had ever heard of Open Carry. He said, "oh that's the gun-weilding thing. I have a reporter assigned to this already." I called the reporter. She said she wanted to talk to me (like before I called she was trying to get ahold of me or something?).

2) The reporter said that the Turlock police chief had contacted the sherriff's office about the July 5th incident. Someone at the sherriff's office gave the Modesto Bee the lead.

I too am curious about what the police want the newspaper to say. Being the die-hard optimist I am I will not rule out the possibility of a Letter to the Editor apologizing for harassing a law-abiding, peaceful subject.

Don't Tread On Me.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Army wrote:
    I told my wife I'm going to Turlock to get arrested...she said to be home by lunch on Sunday

LOL! I love that woman!
    I look forward to meeting you. Bring the wife with you. Bring the kids too (if you have any). There will be at least one other woman there (some of you met Miranda at the meetup in Sac). I'm also trying to get a woman there who will be carrying for her first time. (I'm trying to bribe her by offering to buy her a holster.)

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

Rent some kids if you have too!

This arrticle may get syndicated!

Post imported post

I hope that The Bee doesn't "spin" the story to fit their agenda. They aren't the most unbiased paper I've read.

If we are in town, we will be there. I really wish we could make it but, it doesn't look good. I hope that a good number of people can make it and show support for you and OC.

All the best, Ericka

Post imported post

Rikkiac wrote:
    I hope that The Bee doesn't "spin" the story to fit their agenda. They aren't the most unbiased paper I've read.

If we are in town, we will be there. I really wish we could make it but, it doesn't look good. I hope that a good number of people can make it and show support for you and OC.

All the best, Ericka
    Our open carry publicity campaign has been awesome - just be yourselves and give the reporter plenty of family friendly normal people photos ops and sound bites - watch the Nightline video of the VCDL.org picnic - see how easy this is??

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    Rikkiac wrote:

All the best, Ericka
    Our open carry publicity campaign has been awesome - just be yourselves and give the reporter plenty of family friendly normal people photos ops and sound bites - watch the Nightline video of the VCDL.org picnic - see how easy this is??
    I did see Nightline. That is why I am now on this site! I do think that "we" were given an unbiased story there and I was glad to see it! The Bee, well, being from the area, I know how they "can" be.

Still, I wish we could participate! Maybe we could do a follow up distribution day in Modesto? My mother works with LE and I would like to get their take on the happenings. Our friends that are local LEOs are definately NOT educated on the current laws and that needs to change!

State Researcher

Post imported post

OK, so both the city hall and police station are closed on Saturday. There may be some activity at the PD, but we won't be able to deliver a stack of fliers in the lobby like I had hoped. These locations are on pretty quiet streets, so I don't think it will be useful to just leaflet the area. For now the flier distribution plans are scrapped.

So, for now this is a lunch meetup only - hopefully with a reporter joining us. We may spontaneously decide to hand out fliers or put them on cars at some shopping centers, but at this point I don't have anything particular planned beyond lunch.

Don't Tread On Me.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Rikkiac wrote:
    Still, I wish we could participate! Maybe we could do a follow up distribution day in Modesto?
    Sure, and maybe in Oakdale after that!

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

There are oc'ers all up and down this state and all we really need to do is just get things started and it will grow from there.

We are working on getting to this event you are putting on, I would love an oc lunch to get started and move from there.

I would also love to see oc flyer handout days where we go to local gun shops and ranges across the state.

Imagine if we had 1-5 oc'ing patriots handing out flyers in THEIR city on a specific day across the state. We could easily get flyers placed in EVERY gun shop and gun range in the state in a single day with just a few people in each city participating.

There can also simply be non carrying flyer handouts for those without a carry gun or nerves to carry OR just not ready. Getting the flyers to the gun shops and ranges IS the most important part anyways.

I hope the bee up there is decent to you during this event. We have had issues with the Fresno Bee over here on many occasions for various things and "spun" topics over gun rights and other rights for that matter.

Post imported post

OK, count me in. I'm annoyed at myself for missing the sacramento dinner.

It's kind of a hike, but at least I'll have an excuse to go somewhere I can carry.

State Researcher

Post imported post

bump.

Marshaul, I look forward to finally meeting you. Yeah, you missed out on some good times at the Sac meetup. Good company, good food, good times. I still have your contact info, so don't worry about PM'ing.

Current count: 3 armed, 4 unarmed. I also have two "maybes" that would be armed.

Don't Tread On Me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast