• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stanislaus Open Carry Meetup!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

OK, so both the city hall and police station are closed on Saturday. There may be some activity at the PD, but we won't be able to deliver a stack of fliers in the lobby like I had hoped. These locations are on pretty quiet streets, so I don't think it will be useful to just leaflet the area. For now the flier distribution plans are scrapped.

So, for now this is a lunch meetup only - hopefully with a reporter joining us. We may spontaneously decide to hand out fliers or put them on cars at some shopping centers, but at this point I don't have anything particular planned beyond lunch.

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

There are oc'ers all up and down this state and all we really need to do is just get things started and it will grow from there.

We are working on getting to this event you are putting on, I would love an oc lunch to get started and move from there.

I would also love to see oc flyer handout days where we go to local gun shops and ranges across the state.

Imagine if we had 1-5 oc'ing patriots handing out flyers in THEIR city on a specific day across the state. We could easily get flyers placed in EVERY gun shop and gun range in the state in a single day with just a few people in each city participating.

There can also simply be non carrying flyer handouts for those without a carry gun or nerves to carry OR just not ready. Getting the flyers to the gun shops and ranges IS the most important part anyways.

I hope the bee up there is decent to you during this event. We have had issues with the Fresno Bee over here on many occasions for various things and "spun" topics over gun rights and other rights for that matter.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OK, count me in. I'm annoyed at myself for missing the sacramento dinner.

It's kind of a hike, but at least I'll have an excuse to go somewhere I can carry.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

bump.

Marshaul, I look forward to finally meeting you. Yeah, you missed out on some good times at the Sac meetup. Good company, good food, good times. I still have your contact info, so don't worry about PM'ing.

Current count: 3 armed, 4 unarmed. I also have two "maybes" that would be armed.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BTW, I don't know if you were counting me as armed or unarmed, but I will definitely wear my RIA Tactical 1911. :)

Edit: Do you have any idea what you'd like to do for lunch?

Edit again: BTW, I know you said there are places close to the freeway, but I figured it might be a good idea to double check.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...120.876474&spn=0.042882,0.088921&z=14&iwloc=G

Schools "G" and "H" are both around a mile from the point you gave. Once again, I imagine you're aware of these schools, I just thought I'd be sure. :D

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Good news, maybe!

I went to the Madison Society meeting tonight at the Modesto PD. They're a good bunch of folks, working damn hard to take on some important issues. They have 4 BIG cases in the pipeline right now that challenge some BIG issues. Seriously, I think these guys get more done than the NRA, with a very small fraction of the membership. They are simply amazing.

They asked me to speak at the meeting tonight about open carry and my recent harassment by Turlock PD. Most of them seemed to be under the common misunderstandings of the law, so I took the time to go over the 'big 3' (12025, 12031, & 626.9) and showed off the Tri-fold pamphlet. They were all very supportive of open carry, and disgusted with the way I was treated. It was suggested that the Madison Society could organize an Open Carry event in Turlock (in addition to the one already planned for the 19th). These guys seem to me to be a group of 'doers,' so I'm going to try to get involved with that.

After the meeting, I happened in to none other than Teri Cox of KTXL FOX40 news! I decided to invite her to our little get-together, and maybe get some state-wide coverage of this event! So, we now have two potential news media covering the event.

Let's get some more RSVPs guys! Let's show them this is a big deal and warrents their coverage!

Please PM me ASAP if you want to attend; I'm sending meetup info out via PM only.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Army wrote:
Location and time, tonight or tomorrow?

Gotta plan out the drive up there.
Details going out tonight. If you want to go, it's not too late to RSVP. We have at least 4 open carry activists that will be armed, plus at least another 4 unarmed. There may also be some stealth attendees that may or may not be armed and simply happen to be in the same restuarant with audio/video recording devices... just in case we get harassed.

Still no definite answer from either of our reporters; hopefully one or both show up.

If you didn't get a PM with the details, that means I did not receive an RSVP from you! You must PM me your name/phone number to get the details!

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

If anybody is planning on going out to Stanislaus from the bay area I'd be willing to tag along and split gas costs.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Rikkiac wrote:
Mike wrote:
Rikkiac wrote:
I hope that The Bee doesn't "spin" the story to fit their agenda. They aren't the most unbiased paper I've read.

If we are in town, we will be there. I really wish we could make it but, it doesn't look good. I hope that a good number of people can make it and show support for you and OC.

All the best, Ericka
Our open carry publicity campaign has been awesome - just be yourselves and give the reporter plenty of family friendly normal people photos ops and sound bites - watch the Nightline video of the VCDL.org picnic - see how easy this is??

I did see Nightline. That is why I am now on this site! I do think that "we" were given an unbiased story there and I was glad to see it! The Bee, well, being from the area, I know how they "can" be.:cuss:

Still, I wish we could participate! Maybe we could do a follow up distribution day in Modesto? My mother works with LE and I would like to get their take on the happenings. Our friends that are local LEOs are definately NOT educated on the current laws and that needs to change!
Go for the free publicity! Mike and John have availed themselves of every opportunity to get the word out, sometimes inspite of difficult circumstances/attitudes.

I was at the Nightline - VCDL picnic and it the two women that were interviewed were my daughter-in-law and gf! I was exceptionally proud of them that day. Mike, John and Philip (VCDL pres) made us all proud to be there.

If you hide your light under the proverbial basket, no one will ever see it.

Good luck

Yata hey

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I spoke to Captain Langston today while at the department to pick up the documents related to my detention. We spoke about my specific complaints with how I was treated and factual inaccuracies in the report. Understandably, he was cautious with what he said, but I was reassured that they are aware of some of the problems that need correcting.

Captain Langston brought up that he had checked out OCDO, and read about the meetup this weekend. He asked if we were still planning to meet up, then asked where. I told him that I didn't feel comfortable giving him that information, despite his assurances it would not be used to try to prevent the event from occurring.

He also expressed concern that our motive was to have "one of your guys call it in" to initiate police contact. I tried not to laugh and assured him that none of us want to do that. I'm not sure where he got the idea, but it may have had to do with his reading the Sac PD memo that alleged similar motives by activists there.

He asked if we planned on leafleting, as discussed here. I told him that we may or may not, but that it was not part of the plan at this point. He was also nice enough to make sure that if we decided to bring fliers to the PD that we were aware of PC 171. I told him, "that's the only reason I'm not carrying in here right now."

Cptn Langston was understandably cautious about what he said regarding the way they can/should handle calls of armed persons. However, he assured me they have initiated some training within the department on how to handle this sort of thing. Hopefully this means future contact will either not occur, or will be more limited.

This interaction was very encouraging, for both of us, I think.

So, I look forward to the luncheon tomorrow. I am fairly confident that TPD chain of command has any interest in discouraging our exercise of our rights.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
I spoke to Captain Langston today while at the department to pick up the documents related to my detention. We spoke about my specific complaints with how I was treated and factual inaccuracies in the report. Understandably, he was cautious with what he said, but I was reassured that they are aware of some of the problems that need correcting.

Captain Langston brought up that he had checked out OCDO, and read about the meetup this weekend. He asked if we were still planning to meet up, then asked where. I told him that I didn't feel comfortable giving him that information, despite his assurances it would not be used to try to prevent the event from occurring.

He also expressed concern that our motive was to have "one of your guys call it in" to initiate police contact. I tried not to laugh and assured him that none of us want to do that. I'm not sure where he got the idea, but it may have had to do with his reading the Sac PD memo that alleged similar motives by activists there.

He asked if we planned on leafleting, as discussed here. I told him that we may or may not, but that it was not part of the plan at this point. He was also nice enough to make sure that if we decided to bring fliers to the PD that we were aware of PC 171. I told him, "that's the only reason I'm not carrying in here right now."

Cptn Langston was understandably cautious about what he said regarding the way they can/should handle calls of armed persons. However, he assured me they have initiated some training within the department on how to handle this sort of thing. Hopefully this means future contact will either not occur, or will be more limited.

This interaction was very encouraging, for both of us, I think.

So, I look forward to the luncheon tomorrow. I am fairly confident that TPD chain of command has any interest in discouraging our exercise of our rights.
Sounds like they are starting to get it - but I would have told him where the event was once he asked and invited him to stop by - there is still time to call him back maybe?