• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stanislaus Open Carry Meetup!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

This event is open to all who want to attend, but will require you to RSVP so we can reserve a large enough table!

This event will be July 19 at 12:00 in Turlock. The venue will be very close to Hwy 99 on/near Monte Vista Avenue (north side of town). There's several good places very near the freeway and no schools nearby to spoil the venue.

After lunch, my hope is to organize some flier distribution, maybe in front of the police department or city hall. I've checked and it looks like there's a 'school zone'-free route and both fall well outside the nearest school zones. So both are very strong options. Maybe we'll leaflet both areas.

Open carry is not required, but is encouraged.

If you are interested and think you can make it please PM me. Let's show the city of Turlock that we're here to stay!

ETA: When you RSVP, please give me your name and a number where I can reach you.

prcE6

imported post

I'd be happy to come down to Turlock and participate. I'm just trying to get the ex to take the kids that day so that I may do so....

I think that especially with your recent brush with TPD, this is the time and the place to help bring the OC into a positive light.

Either way, 85% committed as of right now, Hell, might just come down with the kids anyway.

Rikkiac

imported post

My hubby and I would love to come but, we will be out of state for a wedding. Maybe a reschedule, if there are no other takers? Normally, DH works weekends so another day of the week would be better for us too.

I would love to support you against TPD.

Army

imported post

I'm in. PM in your box.

Education......make that RE-education is the key. Open carry was the accepted norm in this state/country, but simply fell out of fashion in society.

Well poo. Let's remind law enforcement that it's not the good guys they need to worry about, and should praise us for being willing to lift some burden from them.....

...no matter how much Sarah cries crocodile tears.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

So far we have 2 armed and 3 unarmed attendees lined up for this event. (I'm trying to locate a firearm for one of the observers to carry.) It occurred to me that city hall will likely be deserted on Saturday, but I still intend on delivering some fliers to Turlock PD as they will likely be open. I may also also use this opportunity to deliver my official complaint (my redress for greivances, if you will).

Hope you can make it. The more the better.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

UPDATE: Just spoke to a reporter at the Modesto Bee. Apparently she was contacted by the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Office. She didn't give specifics, but said that the Turlock Police chief sent some sort of advisory to the SO regarding the encounter I had last Saturday.

I'll be meeting with the reporter this weekend to discuss details, but it she sounded interested in the story and perked up when I mentioned this event. My hope is that the Bee will be in attendance. This makes it that much more important to have people show up! Armed or not your attendance would be helpful in showing support! The more people I have committed to attending the more likely they are to get involved.

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

92.0mi – about 1 hour 29 mins from where I am. I will hopefully find out soon enough if I can come as well as how many others I can bring with me from Fresno/Clovis to participate in this. It isn't FAR enough away not too IF I have that date available.

If I can go, I hope to bring 3 others with me as well.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
UPDATE: Just spoke to a reporter at the Modesto Bee. Apparently she was contacted by the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Office. She didn't give specifics, but said that the Turlock Police chief sent some sort of advisory to the SO regarding the encounter I had last Saturday.

I'll be meeting with the reporter this weekend to discuss details, but it she sounded interested in the story and perked up when I mentioned this event. My hope is that the Bee will be in attendance. This makes it that much more important to have people show up! Armed or not your attendance would be helpful in showing support! The more people I have committed to attending the more likely they are to get involved.

I'mdetecting some missing information... (Spidey senses are tingling...)

1) How did the reporter locate you- or did you call her?

2) Advisory? Can we assume this advisory was brought to the attention of the reporter through a PRA or a FOIA request? Or was it a 'gift' of the Turlock PD? Do you know the means by which she came about this information?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:

I just called her - she seems pretty motivated to research this issue and report!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:

2) Advisory? Can we assume this advisory was brought to the attention of the reporter through a PRA or a FOIA request? Or was it a 'gift' of the Turlock PD? Do you know the means by which she came about this information?
You're not the only one...

1) I called the editor, introduced myself, and then asked if he had ever heard of Open Carry. He said, "oh that's the gun-weilding thing. I have a reporter assigned to this already." I called the reporter. She said she wanted to talk to me (like before I called she was trying to get ahold of me or something?).

2) The reporter said that the Turlock police chief had contacted the sherriff's office about the July 5th incident. Someone at the sherriff's office gave the Modesto Bee the lead.

I too am curious about what the police want the newspaper to say. Being the die-hard optimist I am I will not rule out the possibility of a Letter to the Editor apologizing for harassing a law-abiding, peaceful subject.
:lol:

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Army wrote:
I told my wife I'm going to Turlock to get arrested...she said to be home by lunch on Sunday :)

LOL! I love that woman!
I look forward to meeting you. Bring the wife with you. Bring the kids too (if you have any). There will be at least one other woman there (some of you met Miranda at the meetup in Sac). I'm also trying to get a woman there who will be carrying for her first time. (I'm trying to bribe her by offering to buy her a holster.)

Rikkiac

imported post

I hope that The Bee doesn't "spin" the story to fit their agenda. They aren't the most unbiased paper I've read.

If we are in town, we will be there. I really wish we could make it but, it doesn't look good. I hope that a good number of people can make it and show support for you and OC.

All the best, Ericka

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Rikkiac wrote:
I hope that The Bee doesn't "spin" the story to fit their agenda. They aren't the most unbiased paper I've read.

If we are in town, we will be there. I really wish we could make it but, it doesn't look good. I hope that a good number of people can make it and show support for you and OC.

All the best, Ericka
Our open carry publicity campaign has been awesome - just be yourselves and give the reporter plenty of family friendly normal people photos ops and sound bites - watch the Nightline video of the VCDL.org picnic - see how easy this is??

Rikkiac

imported post

Mike wrote:
Rikkiac wrote:

All the best, Ericka
Our open carry publicity campaign has been awesome - just be yourselves and give the reporter plenty of family friendly normal people photos ops and sound bites - watch the Nightline video of the VCDL.org picnic - see how easy this is??

I did see Nightline. That is why I am now on this site! I do think that "we" were given an unbiased story there and I was glad to see it! The Bee, well, being from the area, I know how they "can" be.:cuss:

Still, I wish we could participate! Maybe we could do a follow up distribution day in Modesto? My mother works with LE and I would like to get their take on the happenings. Our friends that are local LEOs are definately NOT educated on the current laws and that needs to change!