• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Tooele

LovesHisXD45

imported post

I'm new to the forum. I have CCd for about 12 years and did not even know it was legal to OC until recently. My instructor, back in the days I got my license, told me that my gun could never be seen, "concealed means concealed" bla bla bla. I have read many threads on this forum to make sure I was fully acquainted with the concepts, rhetoric, acronyms andlaw before I actually got my feet wet and posted a real question.

Has anyone here OCd in Tooele, Erda, Lake Point or Gantsville? You guys/gals have inspired me to seriously consider OC for the first time, but I am aprehensive about the attention I might draw, and quite frankly, I'm scared to death. I'm one of those guys who doesn't like attention and gets nervous and stumbles overtheir words a bit in the presence of authority, ie LEO etc... I'm so afraid that something like what happened to TJ and some others might happen to me, that I'm just not sure about this. How are the LEOs out here where I live with respect to knowledge about OC? What are the chances that they might be like those in WVC and totally jump the gun, no pun intended, and react poorly if someone puts in a call for MWAG?

I CCd at the 4th-of-July parade and went down to the park with my wife and three kids on Friday. The whole time I was there, I was thinking about how it might be differrent if I was OC. I must have walked past at least5 LEOs at arms distance as we crossed the intersection two ways to get across the street to access the park. I gotself consciouseven with my weapon concealed. I have never broken a law in my life. I have been an upstanding citizen, and yet I don't understand why I'm afraid of law inforcemnt. I'm actually more afraid of them than the criminals. When I say this, I mean absolutely, and I mean ABSOLUTELY, no disrespect for LEOs.

I really want to do this eventually, butwhen you have beencarryingconcealedfor this many years and have such a distrust of law Enforcement, how do you get up the nerve to break free of the fear and actually go through with it? I have OC a couple of times when I'm hiking in the mountains, but that is totally different. I hardly run into other people; let alone the law up there. It's the concept of doing this in public in a populated area, with a sherrif or other LEO 5 minutes away at any given moment, that makes it so difficult.

I have gleaned enough knowledge from reading here to develop what I might say in any given situation but just don't know if I can deliver the message to a citizen or LEO in an effective manner without stumbling all over or saying the wrong thing and screwing it all up.

On a side note, it would be nice if the dispatchers who handle the 911 calls were trained to assess the situation better when somebody puts in a call for MWAG. They should be required to determine if the person carrying the gun has it in a holster for starters. Criminals don't usually carry their guns in holsters and never in plain sight. Duh! Secondly, they should be trained to ask the caller whether the person with the gun is commiting a crimeand if the person actually has their hand(s) on the gun at all and what the person is doing at the time.If some poor guy is in the produce isle at a grocery store checking the ripeness of a cantalope and has a cart half full of food next to him, would you send the cops out after him just because he has a holstered sidearm? Common sense people! Most of the calls that result in problems from LEOs could be eliminated if the dispatchers didn't send them out in the first place. They, thedispatchers,should also educate the public about OC when someone puts in a call thatis determined to besomeone legally engaged inOC and perfectly legal in doing so. That way the caller would know better and be less likely to call again if they see somebody else OCing another day. Just a thought.

Kevin

GeneticsDave

imported post

First of all, welcome! Glad you are considering OC.

Yes, OCing can be scary at first, mainly because of the false information we have been feed over the years. It doesn't help that not many people OC, and that members of the CC community go around telling you that you shouldn't. I feel that we should let people carry any way that they like. If you feel more comfortable CC, that's cool, I would recommend you try OC a few times just to know what the other option is, but ultimately I don't rag on people for CCing - and I don't expect them to rag on me for OCing.

It sounds to me like you need to group OC a bit before you go out on your own. You will find that you receive little to no extra attention. Most attention I receive is positive and mainly concerns how I can do it without being LE.

I don't have any experience out in Toole, so I can't help you on that front, but Utah law is standardized regarding firearms, so OCing in Toole is the same as SLC, Provo or St. George.

I am sure there are some who would be willing to OC with you if you ask. Keep up the good work, I'm glad you decided to post.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
I'm new to the forum. I have CCd for about 12 years and did not even know it was legal to OC until recently. My instructor, back in the days I got my license, told me that my gun could never be seen, "concealed means concealed" bla bla bla. I have read many threads on this forum to make sure I was fully acquainted with the concepts, rhetoric, acronyms andlaw before I actually got my feet wet and posted a real question.

Has anyone here OCd in Tooele, Erda, Lake Point or Gantsville? You guys/gals have inspired me to seriously consider OC for the first time, but I am aprehensive about the attention I might draw, and quite frankly, I'm scared to death. I'm one of those guys who doesn't like attention and gets nervous and stumbles overtheir words a bit in the presence of authority, ie LEO etc... I'm so afraid that something like what happened to TJ and some others might happen to me, that I'm just not sure about this. How are the LEOs out here where I live with respect to knowledge about OC? What are the chances that they might be like those in WVC and totally jump the gun, no pun intended, and react poorly if someone puts in a call for MWAG?

I CCd at the 4th-of-July parade and went down to the park with my wife and three kids on Friday. The whole time I was there, I was thinking about how it might be differrent if I was OC. I must have walked past at least5 LEOs at arms distance as we crossed the intersection two ways to get across the street to access the park. I gotself consciouseven with my weapon concealed. I have never broken a law in my life. I have been an upstanding citizen, and yet I don't understand why I'm afraid of law inforcemnt. I'm actually more afraid of them than the criminals. When I say this, I mean absolutely, and I mean ABSOLUTELY, no disrespect for LEOs.

I really want to do this eventually, butwhen you have beencarryingconcealedfor this many years and have such a distrust of law Enforcement, how do you get up the nerve to break free of the fear and actually go through with it? I have OC a couple of times when I'm hiking in the mountains, but that is totally different. I hardly run into other people; let alone the law up there. It's the concept of doing this in public in a populated area, with a sherrif or other LEO 5 minutes away at any given moment, that makes it so difficult.

I have gleaned enough knowledge from reading here to develop what I might say in any given situation but just don't know if I can deliver the message to a citizen or LEO in an effective manner without stumbling all over or saying the wrong thing and screwing it all up.

On a side note, it would be nice if the dispatchers who handle the 911 calls were trained to assess the situation better when somebody puts in a call for MWAG. They should be required to determine if the person carrying the gun has it in a holster for starters. Criminals don't usually carry their guns in holsters and never in plain sight. Duh! Secondly, they should be trained to ask the caller whether the person with the gun is commiting a crimeand if the person actually has their hand(s) on the gun at all and what the person is doing at the time.If some poor guy is in the produce isle at a grocery store checking the ripeness of a cantalope and has a cart half full of food next to him, would you send the cops out after him just because he has a holstered sidearm? Common sense people! Most of the calls that result in problems from LEOs could be eliminated if the dispatchers didn't send them out in the first place. They, thedispatchers,should also educate the public about OC when someone puts in a call thatis determined to besomeone legally engaged inOC and perfectly legal in doing so. That way the caller would know better and be less likely to call again if they see somebody else OCing another day. Just a thought.

Kevin

I OCed @ Tooele Walmart without incident at all. I also OCed at that one family Burger Bar up the road on the left handside. Delicious Burgers and fries may I say.

TJ

thx997303

imported post

Nice double tap there TJ.

I wouldn't worry too much. Go out and do it. They will not revoke your CFP for doing it. Give it a try, you might like it.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

I open carry in Tooele all the time. I am aquainted with the LEO's out their if you would like I could meet up and and open carry togther. I think it is great you are considering this as a option. I have found out since I have been open carrying that my situational awarness has gone up I now am more cautious of what is happening around me. Where before I might have missed warning signs now I am more aware it is amazing on what I can pick up on because I no longer have a false sense of safety where before when I conceled I did . So try it out see what happens but do not let one bad experience ruin it for you just keep doing it soon it will become seconad nature.

Zach 801-455-7227

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. I appreciate the warm welcome. :celebrate

My wife suggested that I go to Wal-Mart with her and the kids by my side. She said it would probably deter attention, and I have to agree. However, I just thought of another problem that might put a wrench in this for awhile until I can scrounge up the money. The holster I currently use for CC is a Sidekick IWB holster that is about 10 years old and has absolutely no retention. I'm gonna have to wait until I can order me a Serpa L2 for my XD until I attempt OC. Anyone could snatch the gun right away in an instant the way I carry it now if it wasn't concealed. :( My work is going to pay out a stock option for us soon,but I'll probably have to wait until the end of August before I can afford to purchase the new holster. We are having some hard financial difficulties right now, and I can't justify a new equipment purchase at the moment. I haven't even been to the range in months because I can't afford the ammo.

Also, thanks Zach for the offer and contact info. When I get my new holster, I just might take you up on it. :)Everyone keep on posting on the site. I really enjoy reading your experiences. They have been very educational and valuable. Keep fighting for our rights! Maybe someday our elected officials will recognize that no matter how much legislation they pass to restrict firearms, the bad guys will always have them no matter what. Gun laws only effect law abiding citizens; not the criminals, and they, the politicians,offer us up to them, the criminals, like sheep to the slaughter with anti-gun legislation that effects our rights to bear arms.

Kevin

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Gun laws only effect law abiding citizens; not the criminals, and they, the politicians,offer us up to them, the criminals, like sheep to the slaughter with anti-gun legislation that effects our rights to bear arms.

Amen, Kevin.

xmirage2kx

imported post

You can always get an uncle mikes holster. They just have the strap over the top, but much better than an open top.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
You can always get an uncle mikes holster. They just have the strap over the top, but much better than an open top.

That's a great idea. Thanks! :) One question though. The holster I have now is fairly uncomfortable. Is there a really good inside-the-pants holster that actually pads the inside and inhibits the gun from digging into your side so much. I have to sit a certain way when I'm driving and when I'm sitting, at a theater for instance, so that the gun does not jab into me if I put my full weight against it. I also have to inconspicuously straighten it out when I get up or out from somewhere because it tends to tilt and the gun sometimes rides up out of the holster a bit without the strap. I would wear a holster outside of my pants, but concealed, if I didn't have so many T-shirts that would flash the gun and/or print like crazy when I bent over to do something.

I'm still saving for that Serpa too though for OC. Might as well get a new CC holster while I'm at it. The one I've got nowis really hammered:)

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

UTOC-45-44

imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
xmirage2kx wrote:

That's a great idea. Thanks! :) One question though. The holster I have now is fairly uncomfortable. Is there a really good inside-the-pants holster that actually pads the inside and inhibits the gun from digging into your side so much. I have to sit a certain way when I'm driving and when I'm sitting, at a theater for instance, so that the gun does not jab into me if I put my full weight against it. I also have to inconspicuously straighten it out when I get up or out from somewhere because it tends to tilt and the gun sometimes rides up out of the holster a bit without the strap. I would wear a holster outside of my pants, but concealed, if I didn't have so many T-shirts that would flash the gun and/or print like crazy when I bent over to do something.

I'm still saving for that Serpa too though for OC. Might as well get a new CC holster while I'm at it. The one I've got nowis really hammered:)

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

I like Uncle Mike's IWB. I use it also as a MOB. I got it at Sportman's for $11.99 . Look around and you could probably get it cheaper.

I some times OC my Kimber and at the same tima have my IWB MOB with my S&W 4006 at the same time.

TJ

LovesHisXD45

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:
xmirage2kx wrote:

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

I like Uncle Mike's IWB. I use it also as a MOB. I got it at Sportman's for $11.99 . Look around and you could probably get it cheaper.

I some times OC my Kimber and at the same tima have my IWB MOB with my S&W 4006 at the same time.

TJ

Nice. That is areally good price too. :celebrate

Thanks TJ,

Kevin

swillden

imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
I would wear a holster outside of my pants, but concealed, if I didn't have so many T-shirts that would flash the gun and/or print like crazy when I bent over to do something.
Is that really a big issue? Unless you're around someone whose opinion you care about, and who doesn't like guns (e.g. your boss), printing and occasional exposure doesn't really cause any problems in Utah. OC rarely causes any issues, and my experience is that if you semi-cover the gun with a t-shirt, no one cares at all.

thx997303

imported post

Yeah, but I would think you might be doing something wrong if you were trying to hide it, poorly.

But only if you had that shifty eyed look:uhoh: Like that :D

LovesHisXD45

imported post

swillden wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:
I would wear a holster outside of my pants, but concealed, if I didn't have so many T-shirts that would flash the gun and/or print like crazy when I bent over to do something.
Is that really a big issue? Unless you're around someone whose opinion you care about, and who doesn't like guns (e.g. your boss), printing and occasional exposure doesn't really cause any problems in Utah. OC rarely causes any issues, and my experience is that if you semi-cover the gun with a t-shirt, no one cares at all.

That's a good point. Most people who might put in a call for MWAG might be reluctant if they can't 100% identify whether I'm carrying or not at the expense of making themselves look like idiots if they are wrong. lol :) There is another serpa I saw that was a conceal package that I might just get along with the L2 I'm saving for.

As for the super tuck, I'm going to do a little surfing on the web and check that out too. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Kevin

LovesHisXD45

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Yeah, but I would think you might be doing something wrong if you were trying to hide it, poorly.

But only if you had that shifty eyed look:uhoh: Like that :D

Who me? Never. *looks all innocent* :uhoh::shock:

hehehe