• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Level III/ Class III

marine2000

imported post

Just curious...!!

I am looking out to purchase a Class III assault rifle Colt AR-15 Sporter SP1 Carbine.

Anyone here with past / present difficulties in obtaining such a high caliber weapon?????????

I need some inputs here ...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Appreciate the help guys.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

marine2000 wrote:
Just curious...!!

I am looking out to purchase a Class III assault rifle Colt AR-15 Sporter SP1 Carbine.

Anyone here with past / present difficulties in obtaining such a high caliber weapon?????????

I need some inputs here ...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Appreciate the help guys.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I believe LEO229 has more than one. Send him a PM...

LEO 229

imported post

First Step... find one you want!!

They are going to cost you at least $10,000. This is the lowest I have seen. Average price is actually around $15,000

http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/html/sitemap.html

Browse a few here....

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/?db=nfafirearms&category=All+Items+in+this+Category&query=category&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=headlines

http://www.westernfirearms.com/wfc

You pay for it either 50/50 or payment in full

You find a Class III dealer to do your paperwork locally unless you both happen to live next to each other.

Dealer does your forms and charges you about $150 for his time. You get the CLEO to sign off on your forms after you get your passport photo and prints done.

You write a check to the ATF for $200 and mail it along with the forms, and print cards.

Wait.... 15 days to 6 months and your Class III dealer get the forms back.

The entire time.... your Class III dealer holds onto your gun.

Once the ATF places a $200 tax stamp on your form and returns it... you take the form and the gun home!!!

C45P312

imported post

Very tedious paper work but I'll assure you that you'll be happy in the end. After that wait is over, I was a really happy camper.

In my city, the CLEO won't sign off on any Form 4s so I had to create a trust.

LEO 229

imported post

The sad thing is the CLEO is not going to ever stop you from getting it.... Corporation or trust gets around it. Just an additional cost.

Sad since the 1934 tax started.... only two registered machine guns were used in crimes.

Those that do get them legally are far less likely to use them for evil purposes than someone owning any other type firearm.

nova

imported post

What's even more sad is the fact that the pre-86 guns that are out there are 'worth' more than my friggen pickup truck, yet the 'gooberment' can get them at their actual value of 1-2K bucks...

RAAARRRR:cuss:

:lol:

ETA: LEO I agree 100% with you.

67GT390FB

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
The sad thing is the CLEO is not going to ever stop you from getting it.... Corporation or trust gets around it. Just an additional cost.

Sad since the 1934 tax started.... only two registered machine guns were used in crimes.

Those that do get them legally are far less likely to use them for evil purposes than someone owning any other type firearm.

leo,

not trying to get post off topic so feel free to pm the answer as i actually want to know the answer but don't want to hijack a thread. what details if any do you know about the two incidents? were the registered owners committing the crime or had they been stolen then used in a crime? Also when. where did this happen?

Thanks.

JeffersonDavis

imported post

C45P312 wrote:
I called to see if the Police Chief would sign off last year and they directed me to the City's (I might be wrong about this): ?Commonwealth Attorney? and the lady I spoke with said she would sign no problem. I decided to go with the trust anyway as it was a better deal for me but, I just wanted to let you know that Chesapeake IS signing.

possumboy

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
leo,

not trying to get post off topic so feel free to pm the answer as i actually want to know the answer but don't want to hijack a thread. what details if any do you know about the two incidents? were the registered owners committing the crime or had they been stolen then used in a crime? Also when. where did this happen?

Thanks.
That would be a good topic - start a new thread. Does the registration really work, and did it help find the people responsible.

LEO 229

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Thundar wrote:
Do not forget to register with Virginia State Police!
Yes, my understanding is you must do so within 24 hours of receiving the firearm.

§ 18.2-295. Registration of machine guns.

Every machine gun in this Commonwealth shall be registered with the Department of State Police within twenty-four hours after its acquisition or, in the case of semi-automatic weapons which are converted, modified or otherwise altered to become machine guns, within twenty-four hours of the conversion, modification or alteration. Blanks for registration shall be prepared by the Superintendent of State Police, and furnished upon application. To comply with this section the application as filed shall be notarized and shall show the model and serial number of the gun, the name, address and occupation of the person in possession, and from whom and the purpose for which, the gun was acquired or altered. The Superintendent of State Police shall upon registration required in this section forthwith furnish the registrant with a certificate of registration, which shall be valid as long as the registrant remains the same. Certificates of registration shall be retained by the registrant and produced by him upon demand by any peace officer. Failure to keep or produce such certificate for inspection shall be a Class 3 misdemeanor, and any peace officer, may without warrant, seize the machine gun and apply for its confiscation as provided in § 18.2-296. Upon transferring a registered machine gun, the transferor shall forthwith notify the Superintendent in writing, setting forth the date of transfer and name and address of the transferee. Failure to give the required notification shall constitute a Class 3 misdemeanor. Registration data shall not be subject to inspection by the public.

LEO 229

imported post

possumboy wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:
leo,

Thanks.
That would be a good topic - start a new thread. Does the registration really work, and did it help find the people responsible.

Well, it is hard to tell if the registration "works" since there are only two stories that I know of that have ever happened. There is always the possibilitythata registered gun wasusedand the ownerjust did not getcaught.

There is identifyingmaterial captured by way of the shell casings so unless you find the gun... you will not know who the owner is.

The only thing the registrationreally does is account for the current owner. So you are prevented from just selling it to an anonymous person who wants to use it forevil purposes.

Having said all that..... With only two knownshootings involving registered machine guns..... it would appear that far less machine guns have ever been used to killsomeone versus handguns and rifles.

Some will argue the total number available versus handguns and rifles but you have to compare 2 machine guns out of the 250,000 out there. So 2.... is a very small number.

One shooting was by a doctor and the other a cop.

C45P312

imported post

JeffersonDavis wrote:
C45P312 wrote:
I called to see if the Police Chief would sign off last year and they directed me to the City's (I might be wrong about this): ?Commonwealth Attorney? and the lady I spoke with said she would sign no problem. I decided to go with the trust anyway as it was a better deal for me but, I just wanted to let you know that Chesapeake IS signing.

Nancy Parr?

Well, I got the trust set up already. No use in getting it "signed off" unless it'll save me turn around time! lol

JeffersonDavis

imported post

C45P312 wrote:
JeffersonDavis wrote:
C45P312 wrote:

Nancy Parr?

Well, I got the trust set up already. No use in getting it "signed off" unless it'll save me turn around time! lol
It wont save any turnaround time. You can get it signed in Chesapeake but there really isn't any good reason not to set up a Trust.

tboone

imported post

LEO 229, can you provide details ofor a link to those stories? I had heard about the cop story and use it when discussing the lack of danger to society of the availability of class 3 items. Thanks.

Tom

LEO 229

imported post

tboone wrote:
LEO 229, can you provide details ofor a link to those stories? I had heard about the cop story and use it when discussing the lack of danger to society of the availability of class 3 items. Thanks.

Tom
Here is one

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcfullau.html

It mentions the secondbut no details. I read the other one online but did not save it. I will keep looking.

LEO 229

imported post

tboone wrote:

Tom
Here is one

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcfullau.html

It mentions the secondbut no details. I read the other one online but did not save it. I will keep looking.

Sheriff

imported post

JeffersonDavis wrote:
I called to see if the Police Chief would sign off last year and they directed me to the City's (I might be wrong about this): "Commonwealth Attorney" and the lady I spoke with said she would sign no problem.
The commonwealth attorney is the chief law enforcement officer in any city or county. I'm not sure why people keep thinking it's a police chief or sheriff.