• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Level III/ Class III

LEO 229

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
The commonwealth attorney is the chief law enforcement officer in any city or county. I'm not sure why people keep thinking it's a police chief or sheriff.
Because the Chief of Police's/Sheriff's signature is the one most frequently obtained by the transferee andmost commonlyaccepted by the BATF NFA Branch. FWIW, BATF has also accepted signatures fromjudges, heads of state police, and even county coroners.
This true.....

The CLEO that is assigned the task of signing is generally always going to be the Chief or Sheriff for the location you live in.

If you have both.... the Sheriff will normally have the task. And then..... he will assign someone to sign for him as he is too busy to do the back ground checks.

As for the remaining people that "can" sign in place of the traditional CLEO.... they are not really wanting to do this as they do not have easy access to do the checks and they are far to busy. Imagine if they had to process a dozen applications every week and do their normal work.

So.... everyone is encouraged to start with the Chief and Sheriff first.If you have a refusal... you go to the others. If enough others get bothered by this they can jump on the guy refusing so they do not have to do it. That is.... if they would actually sign for you in the first place.

ODA 226

imported post

I had a problem with the Chief of James City County when I wanted to acquire my first full auto. I made an appointment to meet with him and when I presented him the ATF forms, he blurted out, " Mister, you had better have a goddamned good reason why you want this weapon because I think that only police officers should own guns!"

I replied that I simply wanted to add them to my collection and that while I respected his right to his opinion, I chose to exersize my right to own that type of weapon under Virginia law and the Constitution of the United States.

He threw the papers back at me and said that he would never sign the ATF paperwork. I said, " Chief, if I'm not a convicted felon, you have to sign the papers. Ask the Commonwealth Attorney."

He took the papers back and said, "I'll do just that mister!" and ordered me out of his office.

The very next day his secretary called and basically "ordered" me to meet the Chief in his office that day.

He said," Look here mister. I'm only signing this because I have to but I want to put you on notice that I believe that only police should own guns and I'll be keeping a close eye on you."

I replied, "Thank you for your kind words and if you want to keep a close eye on me, you can come to the Norfolk PD K-9 Range every Tuesday and Thursday between the hours of 1300-1700. I teach CQB to the Norfolk Emergency Response Team at that location on those days. Oh yeah and BTW, I'll be finished with the second ghille suit for your sniper team shortly and I'm sure that it will enhance your SWAT Team's tactical effectiveness. Have a wonderful day!"

He had a very confused look on his face as I turned and walked out of his office...

Sheriff

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
I had a problem with the Chief of James City County.... " Mister, you had better have a goddamned good reason why you want this weapon because I think that only police officers should own guns!"

.... "Look here mister. I'm only signing this because I have to but I want to put you on notice that I believe that only police should own guns and I'll be keeping a close eye on you.".....

As I have said many times, the police are not your friend when gun rights are involved. It has been my experience that the majority of police chiefs and sheriffs (and many of their subordinates) feel thatonly cops should have guns. Do the above remarks prove it to you yet?

ODA 226

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
I had a problem with the Chief of James City County.... " Mister, you had better have a goddamned good reason why you want this weapon because I think that only police officers should own guns!"

.... "Look here mister. I'm only signing this because I have to but I want to put you on notice that I believe that only police should own guns and I'll be keeping a close eye on you.".....

As I have said many times, the police are not your friend when gun rights are involved. It has been my experience that the majority of police chiefs and sheriffs (and many of their subordinates) feel thatonly cops should have guns. Do the above remarks prove it to you yet?

Sheriff,

I was a Deputy Sheriff in a past life. I know the deal...

Sheriff

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Sheriff,

I was a Deputy Sheriff in a past life. I know the deal...
But.... can we ever convince people that we know the real deal? :)

I have repeatedly seen people claim the majority of cops are pro-gun.

I like the "past life" term. That is what I should start using! :lol:

LEO 229

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
Snipped....
ToLEO229's response, there's no requirement for a local CLEO to do a background check. Some will, others won't. Personally, I think it's a bit silly for the local CLEO to run one when the FBI is going to run one once teh fingerprint cards hit their queue.I know Press Williams (former sheriff of York County) never ran one on me, nor did Chief Bill Brown of the Blacksburg PD. With both of them I called, and after speaking with their secretaries about why I wanted to to meet theyput me through, and I spoke directly to them to set up a time to stop by and have them signed.
It is not that the CLEO does the same background check as the FBI or even run the persons name in NCIC.

TheChief or Sheriff can check the local datafiles and may have some personal knowledgeof the applicant. The whole purpose of a CLEO singing is to be sure there is not some other reason besides a prior disqualifying arrest that may be a cause for concern.

The form itself states "I have no information indicating that the transferee will use the firearm or device described on this application for other than lawful purposes."

So unless you live in a small town where everyone knows you and no local check needs to be done to check you out... it would be hard for anyoneto just sign the form.