• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possible LA Area OC Meeting?

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I am new to this, but am going head first! All I need now is the voice recorder.

But what I would like to know is if we have enough people in LA on here to get a meet-n-greet?

J.A.G.

imported post

I would love to do a meet and greet. I want to start OCing here in LA, but I feel I don't have enough information/sarcastic rebuttles for the on sight officers who are arriving to a "crazy man with a gun" 911 call from paranoid sheep.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

J.A.G. wrote:
I would love to do a meet and greet. I want to start OCing here in LA, but I feel I don't have enough information/sarcastic rebuttles for the on sight officers who are arriving to a "crazy man with a gun" 911 call from paranoid sheep.
Well, meet and greets are good for that! Perhaps if we chose a date more people would respond instead of back and fourth description of interest?

For me. . as a recently unemployed person I have most any time available. . but I suspect nights and/or weekends are best time. Lets plan something in 2 weeks and see what developes?

I live in the Alhambra area.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mechanic wrote:
How about Dinner, Saturday, July 26 in Northridge? I have a restaurant in mind and will check with the owner later today.

Or would everyone prefer a weekday?

Sometimes I forget how large LA County is. . Haha. . I am game...but might suggest the time is the more important part now and less the location. When we know when and get enough people we might better centralize the meeting. And honestly I would rather meet in a controversial place. . . but that might just be me. I am a little brazen.

Mechanic

Los Angeles - San Fernando Valley, California, USA
imported post

Yeah, the county is big, and the city is no podunk, either. I drove 2 hours for an appointment in El Segundo the other week and that was within the LA city limits the whole time!

Anyway, I'm up for a meet, controversial or not, if we can find some people to show up!

J.A.G.

imported post

well, as I'm a bartender working 2 jobs, nights and weekends are tough. the 25th/26th I KNOW I'm working... so I wouldn't be able to do it. However, if you get an overwhelming response to those dates, f*** me, do it anyway. its better to inconvenience one person than to change the schedule around and f*** over 8 people because of one dudes schedule. but I digress...

right now I'm working Mon-Thurs nights. Fri Sat and Sun nights depend on whether or not there are concerts at the venue I work at.

Right now, here are my open dates...

This friday july 11th, Fri Jul 18, Sun Jul 20, Fri Aug 8, sunday august 10.

Like I said, if I can't make it, but you guys get a large response, do it without me... I don't care...its more important to get lots of people involved.

I'm in the Los Feliz area... if that helps at all.

Mechanic

imported post

I checked with the owner of the restaurant in Northridge (near the mall) and she is OK with an event. Her preference would be the 26th or any other day that's not a friday. So that makes this venue fairly flexble.

Guess all we need now is a crowd of OCers, wherever we go!

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mechanic wrote:
I checked with the owner of the restaurant in Northridge (near the mall) and she is OK with an event. Her preference would be the 26th or any other day that's not a friday. So that makes this venue fairly flexble.

Guess all we need now is a crowd of OCers, wherever we go!

Just wish to clarify that the owner understands we intend to be armed? That I think would be an important piece of information.

I wll mark my calendar. Hey, even if only 2 people show up it will still be better than just 1. These things have to start somewhere.

So we have the bat place. . . we have a round about bat time. . . Now all we need are bats.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

If finding a time/date/location for your event is proving difficult, here are two ways to solve the problem:

Post a new thread with a poll. Design your poll to allow us to vote on a selection of times and dates. If location is still an issue, this can be part of the poll too.

or...

Someone take charge. Arbitrarily set a date and time, and hope that people can show up.

Some further advice from my experience planning two meetups:

1) Have your time/date/location nailed down at least 10 days before the event.

2) Location, location, location! Make sure your venue is not in a school zone! If possible drive around the area for 10 minutes looking for a school. Also make sure it is easily accessable from the freeway, preferably without school zones along the main route. My experience has been that finding a decent meetup location is the biggest pain in the arse part of planning this type of event.

3) Have people RSVP via private messages on the forum. Get their name and phone number so you can give them a guilt trip if they don't show up. The first meetup I planned had 13 RSVPs and 11 people showed up. My second event I didn't require RSVPs and nobody showed up (though the real problem may have been the last minute venue change - see #2).

Good luck. Wish I could make it down to meet you guys.

TheCiscoKid

imported post

Theseus wrote:
I am new to this, but am going head first!

ha! you sound like me.

will you accept unarmed people too?

i neither own a firearm, nor have done enough research to be able to effectively articulate any laws to an LEO.

but i'd love to meet like-minded people with regard to OCing.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TheCiscoKid wrote:
Theseus wrote:
I am new to this, but am going head first!

ha! you sound like me.

will you accept unarmed people too?

i neither own a firearm, nor have done enough research to be able to effectively articulate any laws to an LEO.

but i'd love to meet like-minded people with regard to OCing.
I see no reason we should not include an unarmed person! We can even discuss and help you build up the confidence to OC!

And never fear! A group of legally armed people stand a much better chance than one alone. Haha.

mblat

imported post

I am definetly intrested - keep me updated and LOCATION, LOCATION. I find it difficult to believe that there is such thing as 1000" school free zone in LA.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

So far I count 4 people confirmed for this date. Are we going to loose anyone to the fact of the NRA meeting earlier that day?

If so, or if we can gain more interest by moving the date, I would propose that.

Mechanic

imported post

Reviewed the advice by CA_Libertarian and everyone else and will try to create a poll to get some votes together.

I think our biggest issue with the Valley, and most of LA is that EVERY major surface street has a multitude of schools on any reasonable path between two points. The restaurant I talked to (Corbin near Plummer) is in a remarkably school-free zone in Northridge, but I can't find a simple route to it that bypasses all schools.

The link to the poll is here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=13526&forum_id=12

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

Would a freeway route be considered within the zone since it really has no access to the surface streets? Did that make sense? lol..

My wonder is, can we set up the route to deal with freeways versus surface roads in a way to circumvent this issue by saying you were on a freeway so how would you even know a school was anywhere NEAR the freeway anyways.

I could see this being a better option then to try and zig zag around known school zones in hopes of getting around these zones.

What a pain in the ass..... Can you believe we are actually allowing these b.s. laws to make us sit here and try and find a route for us to be able to enjoy our born in liberties?

Its a sad day we live in indeed.

Mechanic wrote:
Reviewed the advice by CA_Libertarian and everyone else and will try to create a poll to get some votes together.

I think our biggest issue with the Valley, and most of LA is that EVERY major surface street has a multitude of schools on any reasonable path between two points. The restaurant I talked to (Corbin near Plummer) is in a remarkably school-free zone in Northridge, but I can't find a simple route to it that bypasses all schools.

Will update this or post the link to the poll.

mblat

imported post

Why do we care about route? We coming in with guns locked in the tranks (as we would normally do going to the range) and when we come there we holster and going in....

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

Some drive oc'ing and others don't want to go through a school zone for their own personal reasons. I do agree that a trunk option would be the simplest idea BUT man that doesn't scream FREEDOM in the least. We can call it Cali-Freedom, almost BUT not quite lol.

mblat wrote:
Why do we care about route? We coming in with guns locked in the tranks (as we would normally do going to the range) and when we come there we holster and going in....

mblat

imported post

getting slapped with federal charges for crossing 1000 zone aound school doesn't scream FREEDOM either.

If this meet will happend that is exactly I will come - with the gun in the trank and put it on ONLY after getting to the locaiton. I am sute I crossing plenty of school zones on my way to a range

fresno-opencarry-now wrote:
Some drive oc'ing and others don't want to go through a school zone for their own personal reasons. I do agree that a trunk option would be the simplest idea BUT man that doesn't scream FREEDOM in the least. We can call it Cali-Freedom, almost BUT not quite lol.

mblat wrote: