• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possible LA Area OC Meeting?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

mblat wrote:
getting slapped with federal charges for crossing 1000 zone aound school doesn't scream FREEDOM either.

If this meet will happend that is exactly I will come - with the gun in the trank and put it on ONLY after getting to the locaiton. I am sute I crossing plenty of school zones on my way to a range
First off, the 1,000 foot 'gun free school zones' are state law, not federal. Second, they have the burden of proof to show that a 'reasonable' person would have known they were in a school zone.

ETA; I open carry on my way to the range frequently. I either avoid the school zones, or simply keep my lock box on the passenger seat so I can lock up my pistol while I'm passing through.

mblat

imported post

I stand corrected on the matter of jurusdiction. That is said - point still stands - who cares about schools on the way?
Point is to be armed WHILE in and around the restorant.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Really ny concern was the date. NRA is having their meeting same night. . . If that doesn't hurt our ranks, then fine. .

As for schools, a freeway will not count, because there would be no reasonable way to determine yourself to be within 1000 feet of the zone on a freeway. I would not worry much unless you absolutely can't find a clear way to a highway.

As for OC'ing. I OC in my car and will make reasonable attempts to avoid zones I know, and look for signs indicating schools, but do what you are comfortable with. We don't want to get anyone outside their comfort zone.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

So we need to shore up where and at what time we will meet. Eveyone seems ok with July 26th in Northridge. But where and what time?

Also, Ciscokid. . . You live around me. . wanna carpool? Gas being what it is. . .

TheCiscoKid

imported post

absolutely.

i havent been in northridge in quite some time, but isnt there a claim jumper restaurant right next door to the mall? on plummer and tampa. google maps sasys it's still there. and i just checked to see if there are any schools in the area. the closest one i think i 2k or 3k feet away. but we would pass it coming off the freeway (118)...or we could avoid it by coming off the DeSoto exit.

Decoligny

imported post

TheCiscoKid wrote:
absolutely.

i havent been in northridge in quite some time, but isnt there a claim jumper restaurant right next door to the mall? on plummer and tampa. google maps sasys it's still there. and i just checked to see if there are any schools in the area. the closest one i think i 2k or 3k feet away. but we would pass it coming off the freeway (118)...or we could avoid it by coming off the DeSoto exit.

I just did a check on Google Maps, on "Schools, Northridge, CA", & did the same for North Hills, Granada Hills, Reseda, and Chatsworth.

As far as the Claim Jumpers, there is absolutely no way to get there from any direction without passing within 1,000' of a school.

The good news is the closest schools to the Claim Jumpers are Calahan Elementary School (5,000 ft) and Alfred Bernhard Nobel Middle School (4,000 ft).

So open carrying while there should be legal, but you better have a lockbox if you want to keep the gun handy while driving to the location, or else you had better trunk it.

cato

imported post

Mechanic wrote:
What's the time and location for the NRA meet?

I'm up for the dinner meeting regardless of how many people show, but maybe we should schedule aonther meeting for a few weeks later, too.
July 26 in Orange County I think.

Mechanic

Los Angeles - San Fernando Valley, California, USA
imported post

I have a quick question that I'm posting here since it's specific to Saturday.

I just pulled out my magazine holder and realized that it fully conceals the magazine, so I need to pick up another one, something cheap and quick, in time for Saturday. Any suggestions on local stores? I'll have to do this during work on Friday,(Granada Hills), so I can't go too far. Firing Line? I know there are couple of places around Van Nuys airport, but that will be tough to do on a lunch hour.

Second, if you guys planning attending Sat. would like to PM me with your cell or ? number, I'll send you mine. That way we can handle any last-minute communications about the event.

Regards,

"BBQ and Bullets" Mechanic

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mechanic wrote:
I have a quick question that I'm posting here since it's specific to Saturday.

I just pulled out my magazine holder and realized that it fully conceals the magazine, so I need to pick up another one, something cheap and quick, in time for Saturday. Any suggestions on local stores? I'll have to do this during work on Friday,(Granada Hills), so I can't go too far. Firing Line? I know there are couple of places around Van Nuys airport, but that will be tough to do on a lunch hour.

Second, if you guys planning attending Sat. would like to PM me with your cell or ? number, I'll send you mine. That way we can handle any last-minute communications about the event.

Regards,

"BBQ and Bullets" Mechanic
I'll PM you my cell later. . .

Makes me wonder. .. . What is a concealed mag when it is in a mag pouch, isn't it pretty obvious to be a magazine? I never thought for a second that my magazine pouch could be considered concealed?

Mechanic

imported post

Theseus wrote:
Makes me wonder. .. . What is a concealed mag when it is in a mag pouch, isn't it pretty obvious to be a magazine? I never thought for a second that my magazine pouch could be considered concealed?

My interpretations of the posted code sections lead me to the conclusion that carrying a concealed magazine cancause the weapon to be classified as concealed. My mag pouch waspurchased for hunting where I carried loaded and occasionally crawled through bushes, etc. When closed, the mag is almost completely covered. Same thing with my speed loaders. The pouch is designed to fully enclose the loader so there's no chance you'll snag on anything.

The statues seem to read that the mag, like the gun,has to bein plain sight. There are plenty of pouches, designed for tactical situations, which expose the mags to make loading very fast and I just don't have anything like that.

Don't know for sure, but I'd rather be safe than sorry...

"Exposed" Mechanic

Decoligny

imported post

What?

No news?

How did the lunch go?

Anyone screaming in panic?

Anyone arrested?

Food any good?

Reports? Pictures? Inquiring minds want to know.

Mechanic

imported post

Due to underwhelming support, Theseus and Idecided to cancel and try again in a month or so. Look for another thread with the announcement. :banghead:

I was looking forward to the food, so I ate there today for lunch, (Louisiana Hot Link sandwich and fries). UOC, too. Not very crowded,but no one even noticed.

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

sorry for the lack of support SO FAR....

I am having troubles locating some people here in the Fresno area to oc with me. It might be due to a large group in the "cali gun rights" scene saying to STOP oc'ing until the incorp happens.

I would suggest maybe FIRST going out with your friends and getting yourself a good 5-10 person group of local buddies and potential shooting range participants.

It is also summertime and people are going on trips, hiding inside from the heat or trying to pay their bills with the economy going to dirt.

Mechanic wrote:
Due to underwhelming support, Theseus and Idecided to cancel and try again in a month or so. Look for another thread with the announcement. :banghead:

I was looking forward to the food, so I ate there today for lunch, (Louisiana Hot Link sandwich and fries). UOC, too. Not very crowded,but no one even noticed.

Decoligny

imported post

fresno-opencarry-now wrote:

I am having troubles locating some people here in the Fresno area to oc with me. It might be due to a large group in the "cali gun rights" scene saying to STOP oc'ing until the incorp happens.

I would suggest maybe FIRST going out with your friends and getting yourself a good 5-10 person group of local buddies and potential shooting range participants.

It is also summertime and people are going on trips, hiding inside from the heat or trying to pay their bills with the economy going to dirt.
It's some of the CalGuns.net folks who are advocating a temporary halt to "overt" Open Carry. This is to hopefully keep open carry from causing a potential "emergency legislation" possibly redefining the term "loaded" to apply theammo and gun in the posession of the same person version to law abiding citizens also.

In the remote possiblity that this happens, it supposedly would weaken the fight for gun rights in California.

Mechanic

imported post

fresno-opencarry-now wrote:

Thanks, Fresno, wasn't intending to be negative. Everyone has a life and needs to set priorities. On top of your thoughts and theNRA meeting, plus the horrendous traffic issues, and competition frombarbeques with friends, I was not surprised. All that combined with thedensity of UO carriers, or lack thereof, makes almost any meet problematic.

We've talked about setting up another event, perhaps with better planning, later in the summer.