• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

i email fayetteville police dept about open carry

ghoststan

imported post

i email him asking what would be the right way to carry and dont get in any law trouble that is what he reply

Charles Hunter" <CHunter@ci.fay.nc.us

As long as you have a weapon in "PLAIN VIEW", whether it's on your hip,
laying on your seat in a car, as long as it can be seen you are within
the requiremnts of the North Carolina General Statutes. However; on
the other hand, if you have a weapon concealed on your body or in a car
and you do not have the required Concealed Carry Permit you are in
violation of the law and will be charged with (Carrying a Concealed Weapon).
In short, if you are going to carry a weapon in NC it needs to be in
Plain View unless you have a concealed to Carry Permit.

Vinny

imported post

My understanding is that if you do not have a CC permit it must be in plain view if you have EASY ACCESS to it. If it is locked up in the car trunk or truck bed box, it does not have to be in plain view. (A locked glove compartment would arguably also qualify but that's a slippery slope and should be avoided imo).

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I would email that police department back and get clarification on keeping a firearm locked away without easy access.