Thread: Heinlein's Birthday, 7 July 1907

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

More at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_heinlein

Robert Anson Heinlein (July 7, 1907 – May 8, 1988) was an American novelist and science fiction writer. Often called "the dean of science fiction writers"[1], he is one of the most popular, influential, and controversial authors of "hard science fiction". He set a high standard for science and engineering plausibility and helped to raise the genre's standards of literary quality. He was the first writer to break into mainstream, general magazines such as The Saturday Evening Post, in the late 1940s, with unvarnished science fiction. He was among the first authors of bestselling, novel-length science fiction in the modern, mass-market era. For many years, Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, and Arthur C. Clarke were known as the "Big Three" of science fiction.[2][3]

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Great writer!!
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Thanks for posting this, and I must say Heinlein has had a great influence on my being a gun owner, and as someone interested in preserving our rights and personal liberties.

Can't forget he was someone who put a face on the idea that an armed society is a polite society in 'Beyond This Horizon'. Or his model for a revolt against a tyranny in 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress'.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

I mentioned that he was a complex individual to remind/prod some of our correspondents that he believed quite differently from them.