Thread: Anyone shortened their CQC Serpa?

Post imported post

I am just wondering if you guys have adapted your Serpa holsters to remove the additional length of the Serpa by cutting or grinding it down a bit. I have an XD Sub .40 and don't need the additional inch and a half. Thanks for your help.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I intend to. Mine is for a standard size 1911, but I actually carry a Commander. So, 5" barrel vs. 4.25".

Seems to me like it shouldn't be an issue. the retention is based on the trigger guard, not anything down by the front sight.

Post imported post

I thought about the same. My EMP fits my brother's holster for a full size 1911. Well seing as the EMP is a 3" barrel I don't need all that empty plastic at the bottom. I haven't bought one and done it though.

Post imported post

GreenDrake wrote:
    I am just wondering if you guys have adapted your Serpa holsters to remove the additional length of the Serpa by cutting or grinding it down a bit. I have an XD Sub .40 and don't need the additional inch and a half. Thanks for your help.
    I have a Kimber Pro TLE/RLII. It's 4 inch and I just used a skil saw and I afterwards used a lighter to heat up the edges and smoothe them out with my thumb. I'll see if I can post a pic during the day

Post imported post

I could only find a SERPA for the S&W M&P .45 and I have a .40 (just a half-inch shorter or so). I eyeballed it, to find a contour that looked acceptable, then used electrical tape to mark my line. A very fine-toothed X-acto saw took care of the plastic quickly. If I had a bandsaw, table saw or miterbox I would have used one, but doing it by hand was fine. It's about 1/64th of an inch out of true level, but mehhh. It's a holster - no one is going to get That close to it.

Post imported post

Any pics UTOC? I noticed the locking mechanism I have to be aware of, and the electrical tape is a great idea. Going up to a buddy's this week who has every tool imaginable and going to give it a whack. Thanks guys.

Post imported post

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/12066.html
    This is what I did with my holster to fit my Kimber Ultra Raptor!! I also added suede to the inside. I know I am prob a bit late with a response but it is a response!

Post imported post

I just shortened my SERPA to fit my Springfield Micro Compact .45 w/ rail yesterday! I just took a scroll saw to it and then melted the jagged edges down. It fits perfect and looks great!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
    I just shortened my SERPA to fit my Springfield Micro Compact .45 w/ rail yesterday! I just took a scroll saw to it and then melted the jagged edges down. It fits perfect and looks great!
    Got any pics of it? Thanks

Post imported post

I'll post some after I get home from work today.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!

Post imported post

I shortened a Serpa meant for a G20 so it wouldfit a G39. The muzzle is still 1/2 inch from the end of the holster, can't go any shorter without removing the plastic spacer piece that provides pressure on the firearm to keep it from rattling in the holster. Overall it works great, but it'sa bittop heavy since the balance point for the belt/paddle attachment was planned for a full sized pistol with more mass at the muzzle end.

I used a dremel tool with the sandpaper drum bit to remove the plastic at the end of the holster. Thesandpaper drum bit eats the plastic like a lightsaber through butter, you'll want to do this outside as little plastic bits go flying EVERYWHERE (and use eye protection). Once I had it cut down and level I burned the edges with a torch and smoothed them out. The edges are still a bit rough but oh well.

Post imported post

I have the opposite problem, my XD tactical sticks out about an inch past the holster.

Wish they would make a longer one, I scratched the front of my slide when i sat down on concrete once, Oh wait, it scratched the concrete, now I remember.

Post imported post

GreenDrake wrote:
    Here's a thread on a shorting by 911boss.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/14078.html
    I’m proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Post imported post

I see a smaller verson on the webiste.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.as...35&C=C2092
    I’m proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Post imported post

Here's the finished product:

Bitka Sve Rešava!