• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone shortened their CQC Serpa?

GreenDrake

imported post

I am just wondering if you guys have adapted your Serpa holsters to remove the additional length of the Serpa by cutting or grinding it down a bit. I have an XD Sub .40 and don't need the additional inch and a half. Thanks for your help.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I intend to. Mine is for a standard size 1911, but I actually carry a Commander. So, 5" barrel vs. 4.25".

Seems to me like it shouldn't be an issue. the retention is based on the trigger guard, not anything down by the front sight.

eyesopened

imported post

I thought about the same. My EMP fits my brother's holster for a full size 1911. Well seing as the EMP is a 3" barrel I don't need all that empty plastic at the bottom. I haven't bought one and done it though.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

GreenDrake wrote:
I am just wondering if you guys have adapted your Serpa holsters to remove the additional length of the Serpa by cutting or grinding it down a bit. I have an XD Sub .40 and don't need the additional inch and a half. Thanks for your help.
I have a Kimber Pro TLE/RLII. It's 4 inch and I just used a skil saw and I afterwards used a lighter to heat up the edges and smoothe them out with my thumb. I'll see if I can post a pic during the day

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

I could only find a SERPA for the S&W M&P .45 and I have a .40 (just a half-inch shorter or so). I eyeballed it, to find a contour that looked acceptable, then used electrical tape to mark my line. A very fine-toothed X-acto saw took care of the plastic quickly. If I had a bandsaw, table saw or miterbox I would have used one, but doing it by hand was fine. It's about 1/64th of an inch out of true level, but mehhh. It's a holster - no one is going to get That close to it.

GreenDrake

imported post

Any pics UTOC? I noticed the locking mechanism I have to be aware of, and the electrical tape is a great idea. Going up to a buddy's this week who has every tool imaginable and going to give it a whack. Thanks guys.

ODA 226

imported post

I just shortened my SERPA to fit my Springfield Micro Compact .45 w/ rail yesterday! I just took a scroll saw to it and then melted the jagged edges down. It fits perfect and looks great!

GreenDrake

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
I just shortened my SERPA to fit my Springfield Micro Compact .45 w/ rail yesterday! I just took a scroll saw to it and then melted the jagged edges down. It fits perfect and looks great!
Got any pics of it? Thanks

IanB

imported post

I shortened a Serpa meant for a G20 so it wouldfit a G39. The muzzle is still 1/2 inch from the end of the holster, can't go any shorter without removing the plastic spacer piece that provides pressure on the firearm to keep it from rattling in the holster. Overall it works great, but it'sa bittop heavy since the balance point for the belt/paddle attachment was planned for a full sized pistol with more mass at the muzzle end.

I used a dremel tool with the sandpaper drum bit to remove the plastic at the end of the holster. Thesandpaper drum bit eats the plastic like a lightsaber through butter, you'll want to do this outside as little plastic bits go flying EVERYWHERE (and use eye protection). Once I had it cut down and level I burned the edges with a torch and smoothed them out. The edges are still a bit rough but oh well.

thx997303

imported post

I have the opposite problem, my XD tactical sticks out about an inch past the holster.

Wish they would make a longer one, I scratched the front of my slide when i sat down on concrete once, Oh wait, it scratched the concrete, now I remember.

jbone

imported post

GreenDrake wrote:

Here's a thread on a shorting by 911boss.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/14078.html