• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My run in with BLM - and i was OCing

yeahYeah

imported post

Well, i went to the gun show this past weekend and got some goodies for my AK. I wanted to sight my scope, etc so i went out at sunrise yesterday before it got too hot. I was 1/2 done when i saw a white, marked pickup truck headed my way navigating the trail.

"oh boy" i said. cop or fellow shooter?

turns out, it was a BLM officer. I was working with a fully loaded AK and was OCing my sidearm. i was sure i was going to see backup and possibly thrown up against my truck...

Not the case at all.

the man was very nice. i asked him - sir, is it ok to shoot out here? he said, well, no...it's technically illegal. My first words were "ooh, really, i am sorry, let me clean up and get out of here". the man got out of his truck, approached me and to my surprise did not care one bit that i was armed at all - not even a look at my side.

He gave me a map and showed me where i was in relation to BLM property. he actually went to far as to point out where i can shoot w/o any issues. I let him know that people shoot here often and more times then none, i am not alone here. He knew all about it, but it was not their highest priority, esp. that weekend.

So needless to say, i have to find a new place to shoot my long guns, but its no biggy.

I cleaned up all my brass and targets and left.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

yeahYeah wrote:
Well, i went to the gun show this past weekend and got some goodies for my AK. I wanted to sight my scope, etc so i went out at sunrise yesterday before it got too hot. I was 1/2 done when i saw a white, marked pickup truck headed my way navigating the trail.

"oh boy" i said. cop or fellow shooter?

turns out, it was a BLM officer. I was working with a fully loaded AK and was OCing my sidearm. i was sure i was going to see backup and possibly thrown up against my truck...

Not the case at all.

the man was very nice. i asked him - sir, is it ok to shoot out here? he said, well, no...it's technically illegal. My first words were "ooh, really, i am sorry, let me clean up and get out of here". the man got out of his truck, approached me and to my surprise did not care one bit that i was armed at all - not even a look at my side.

He gave me a map and showed me where i was in relation to BLM property. he actually went to far as to point out where i can shoot w/o any issues. I let him know that people shoot here often and more times then none, i am not alone here. He knew all about it, but it was not their highest priority, esp. that weekend.

So needless to say, i have to find a new place to shoot my long guns, but its no biggy.

I cleaned up all my brass and targets and left.
:)Great encounter!

icode

imported post

I don't know the area that you are referring to. I go, as do some other members, out to the area(s) near Sloan. There is always other people shooting out there, and from the map I've seen it's perfectly legal.

yeahYeah

imported post

icode wrote:
I don't know the area that you are referring to. I go, as do some other members, out to the area(s) near Sloan. There is always other people shooting out there, and from the map I've seen it's perfectly legal.
i have heard a lot about sloan...where abouts? it's a hike from me though. the BLM guy gave me 2 locations off 95 and 93 closer to me.

icode

imported post

South of Vegas on the I-15, you will see the Sloan exit. Take it and go South on Las Vegas Blvd about 3 miles. You will see a cell tower across I-15 to your right (east), on the left (west) you will see a dirt road and a gravel pit. There is usually always someone shooting right in the gravel pit. I usually travel up the dirt road a bit farther for safety and privacy. It's hotter than hell out there, take lots of water and a full tank of gas, in case you need the air conditioner. There's miles of roads and lots of cool places to shoot, my family and I always have a great time.

Shane.

yeahYeah

imported post

icode wrote:
South of Vegas on the I-15, you will see the Sloan exit. Take it and go South on Las Vegas Blvd about 3 miles. You will see a cell tower across I-15 to your right (east), on the left (west) you will see a dirt road and a gravel pit. There is usually always someone shooting right in the gravel pit. I usually travel up the dirt road a bit farther for safety and privacy. It's hotter than hell out there, take lots of water and a full tank of gas, in case you need the air conditioner. There's miles of roads and lots of cool places to shoot, my family and I always have a great time.

Shane.
i may have to check it out...

Vegassteve

imported post

yeahYeah wrote:
icode wrote:
i have heard a lot about sloan...where abouts? it's a hike from me though. the BLM guy gave me 2 locations off 95 and 93 closer to me.
Care to share those with us?

yeahYeah

imported post

95 north - mile marker 102 - he said there are sand dune on the east side thats open for shooting. 93 north on the east side as the road dog legs to the north west...

everything else is BLM, nation wildlife areas, or dept. of defense.

njeske

imported post

yeahYeah wrote:
95 north - mile marker 102 - he said there are sand dune on the east side thats open for shooting. 93 north on the east side as the road dog legs to the north west...

everything else is BLM, nation wildlife areas, or dept. of defense.
it's my understanding that shooting on BLM land is legal? is that not correct? or is this just a clark county thing?

ScottyT

imported post

njeske wrote:
it's my understanding that shooting on BLM land is legal? is that not correct? or is this just a clark county thing?

BLM Land should be good to go as long as you are complying with local law (distance from buildings, roads, etc...)

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ScottyT wrote:
njeske wrote:

BLM Land should be good to go as long as you are complying with local law (distance from buildings, roads, etc...)

Not true. BLM has restrictions. I posted links to info in this post.

The specific BLM info is here.

ScottyT

imported post

bobernet wrote:
ScottyT wrote:
njeske wrote:

Good info, thanks. There are a lot more restrictions down in the Vegas area. The only BLM land off limits in my neck of the woods are the designated recreation areas. Everywhere else you are good to go (in accordance with state law, of course).

njeske

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
bobernet wrote:
ScottyT wrote:
njeske wrote:

Good info, thanks. There are a lot more restrictions down in the Vegas area. The only BLM land off limits in my neck of the woods are the designated recreation areas. Everywhere else you are good to go (in accordance with state law, of course).
Ok. That answers my question. Those restrictions are specific to Las Vegas.

yeahYeah

imported post

He made it clear about BLM property around vegas is different because of the population growth. it was at one time not off limits to shooting/off roading, but now it is.

AnakinsKid

imported post

dedede69 wrote:
Does any one shoot at jean lake? And does any one know wear nelson hill is?
Jean Lake? You mean here? http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=35.788437,+-115.258942&doflg=ptm&ie=UTF8&ll=35.790639,-115.255884&spn=0.004143,0.009398&t=h&z=17&iwloc=addr

I shoot close to it. Take that road past the end of the pavement to here. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=35.828892,+-115.218526&doflg=ptm&ie=UTF8&ll=35.829505,-115.218515&spn=0.008281,0.018797&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr

Never heard the name Nelson Hill, though.

yeahYeah

imported post

AnakinsKid wrote:
dedede69 wrote:
Does any one shoot at jean lake? And does any one know wear nelson hill is?
Jean Lake? You mean here? http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=35.788437,+-115.258942&doflg=ptm&ie=UTF8&ll=35.790639,-115.255884&spn=0.004143,0.009398&t=h&z=17&iwloc=addr

I shoot close to it. Take that road past the end of the pavement to here. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=35.828892,+-115.218526&doflg=ptm&ie=UTF8&ll=35.829505,-115.218515&spn=0.008281,0.018797&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr

Never heard the name Nelson Hill, though.

do you get off the sloan exit for this? i am headed out to sloan tomorrow to where icode says he shoots.

dedede69

imported post

Ya right their looking for a wide open place to shoot.

Was told by Robert Wandel at BLM that nelson hill was the closes place to shoot at near Henderson.