• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

charged with aggrivated assault

patriot 40

imported post

Another driver had road rage. Healmost drove into my drivers side door twice and was following me. I slowed and he witnessed my handgun. Shortly afterI flagged down LEO and pointed him out. The other driver was pulled over andhe stated I pointed myhandgun at him. The only evidence LEO had, washe could describe my handgun. Nobody witnessed anythingexcept the other driver.

I feel the LEO was racially motivated. So was the other driver.

I didn't say anything to the detective, attorney wasn't present.

The other driver has an extensive criminal record; assault, restraining orders, domestic violence, felony drugs

The other driver also wouldn't press charges. Because he knew I didn't point my handgun at him.

The state are the ones' pressing charges merely on his statement to them and his ability to describe my handgun.

I havethe best attorney around. To protect my rights.

Pretrial is coming up and the other driver must appear. From there It could be sent to thegrand jurywhere I could beindicted and set to stand trial.

The LEO said his probable cause to enter my vehicle was my 2 loaded AR-15 magazineson my front seat.

This has cost me a lot of money, a day in jail, TN took my carry permit, and my gun.

Can I get another card issued from my home state until this is over??

I feel this might help others. I know howI messed up so save that speech, I've already heard it.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't think anyone here can give you better advice than a good local lawyer can.

Unless it is somehow illegal to have loaded AR15 magazines on your car seat, I can't see how that could be PC for anything.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

His criminal history is irrelevant in this case because it appears he is the victim.

Could you get another permit in your home state? I would think not, because you have a pending charge, and it's like a speeding ticket, If you get caught speeding on one state all the other states knows about it.

bradco

imported post

I am confused at how he saw your gun if you were in the car and only slowed down?

bradco

imported post

DUH, only saw initially charged with aggravated assault, got it :banghead:

SpringerXDacp wrote:
bradco wrote:
I am confused at how he saw your gun if you were in the car and only slowed down?
"handgun on dashboard have valid MS permit" See title.

templar223

imported post

You've probably already been told this, but it bears repeating:

Showing off your gun to a BG is a no-no unless you are justified in using it right then and there.

Hope it works out for you.

An expensive lesson, but a lesson nevertheless. BG wouldn't have had a clue what your gun looked like or that you were armed had you not played "show and tell" with your gun to dissuade him from being a jerk.

John

FightingGlock19

imported post

exactly the reason I don't have any type of gun owner decals on my vehicles (NRA member decal an exception where an inspection sticker might go).

DJBiker

imported post

templar223 wrote:
Showing off your gun to a BG is a no-no unless you are justified in using it right then and there.

An expensive lesson, but a lesson nevertheless. BG wouldn't have had a clue what your gun looked like or that you were armed had you not played "show and tell" with your gun to dissuade him from being a jerk.

John
If you were verbally assaulted and/or threatened by a BG on the street while OC your weapon, could the BG not accuse you of threatening him with your weapon? He certainly can describe it, you are OC. Just a thought.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Also you should have called it in with your cellphone, then you have a time stamp
of the activity prior to yourself being jacked up by the thugs.
At least the stopping leo would have the assault with deadly weapon
on the bg first, before they conspired to get the 'bmwag'. My
appologies if you are only native american.

Remember extra state permits have there uses, you use them when traveling
to protect your home licence.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

templar223 wrote:
You've probably already been told this, but it bears repeating:

Hope it works out for you.

An expensive lesson, but a lesson nevertheless.  BG wouldn't have had a clue what your gun looked like or that you were armed had you not played "show and tell" with your gun to dissuade him from being a jerk.

John
Fail. This is an OC site; we all OC. The OP did nothing more than OC, and as his case demonstrates, OC is more than enough to enable another to describe your gun. Nobody was playing "show and tell". Go post on glocktalk or something.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Anything happen with this?

I feel your pain. I open carry and last year a woman said I threatened her with my gun. She got a judge to issue a restraining order because of this and I lost my permit. I went to civil court over the matter and won and got my permit reissued, but it cost some money.