• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RE: CHP Replacement for new address

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Third time is a charm? I went back to the Henrico Clerk of the Circuit Courts office again today to replace my CHP with a new one with my current address. Unfortunately, the first two times the only person in the office who apparently processes anything to do with CHP's was either at lunch or off that day.

(word to the wise, June Cook takes lunch from noon - 1pm, so don't bother going during that time!)

I was told I would get a call in "about a week" when the permit was ready. What have you been told as to how long you would need to wait? As it was, they simply made a copy of my VA DL and current CHP and I paid $10.

caltain

imported post

I have no reason to believe that it would be different from the 45 day mandate. It isn't addressed in the code, as I recall, but it isn't required. You just have to have your state issued photo ID up to date.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I got the call telling me it was ready this morning and I pickedmy new c.h.p. upat lunch. They required me to first surrender my old permitwith an outdated address.

So, it tookabout threedays and was a positive experience.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
I got the call telling me it was ready this morning and I pickedmy new c.h.p. upat lunch. They required me to first surrender my old permitwith an outdated address.

a positive experience in the Henrico Clerk's Office?

Stop the presses! We have a scoop!

I have had about 4 or 5 students tell me of the troubles they had there. You must have gotten lucky.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
SicSemperTyrannis wrote:

I have had about 4 or 5 students tell me of the troubles they had there. You must have gotten lucky.

I did have to come back twice because thereis apparentlyone woman who processes chp's and she wasn't there (she was at lunch one time), so that wasn't a great aspect of my experience. But I tend to take such things in stride.Especially since it seemed that the issue of me needing to come back was more of a matter of the front desk clerk needing advice, as I seemed to possibly have been the very first person to ask for a replacement permit due to an address change. She had to make a phone call to learn that she needed a photocopy of my drivers license and old chp. The clerk initially asked me to fill out the chp application form itself, until I told her I doubted that could be correct. That's when she said she'd need to ask June Cook what to do, and she was at lunch. She asked if I could come back some other time. I came back 1.5 hours later.

When June called to tell me my chp was ready, she was very cordial and friendly on the phone.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
SicSemperTyrannis wrote:

I did have to come back twice because thereis apparentlyone woman who processes chp's and she wasn't there (she was at lunch one time), so that wasn't a great aspect of my experience. But I tend to take such things in stride.Especially since it seemed that the issue of me needing to come back was more of a matter of the front desk clerk needing advice, as I seemed to possibly have been the very first person to ask for a replacement permit due to an address change. She had to make a phone call to learn that she needed a photocopy of my drivers license and old chp. The clerk initially asked me to fill out the chp application form itself, until I told her I doubted that could be correct. That's when she said she'd need to ask June Cook what to do, and she was at lunch. She asked if I could come back some other time. I came back 1.5 hours later.

When June called to tell me my chp was ready, she was very cordial and friendly on the phone.

A guy called me a few months ago and said that Henrico told him that they couldnt renew his permit because it was less than 24 hours before the expiration date. They said he had to come back after it expired. He went back the next week and they said that he had to take another safety course since his permit had expired!

vbnative73

imported post

Several months ago, I lost my ID case and, with it, every ID, credit card and my CHP. The credit cards were replaced with a phone call and a week of waiting. The drivers license cost me 3 hours at the DMV. The military ID cost me a ton of grief from my Chain of Command. The easiest thing to replace was my CHP. I carried my newly minted driver's license to the Va Beach Circuit Court Clerks Office and told them I lost my CHP. "No, problem, Sir. Can I see some ID?" I handed her my license and she set it on her keyboard and began banging away on the keys. While she was doing that, I mentioned that my address had changed since my original CHP was issued. She asked if the address on my license was correct. I told her it was and less than 10 minutes later, I walked out the door with my brand new CHP. :D

It's a good thing I had lamination paper at home, because I used the last of my cash at the DMV and wouldn't get my new plastic for another week.:quirky

vbnative73

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
VB seems to have their stuff together from what I've heard.
Yeah, my wife dropped off her $50 and paperwork on a Monday and her CHP was in our mailboxthat Friday. Of course, it helps that the municipal center and my address get their mail from the same post office.

savery

imported post

what is required for a change of address for CHP holders in VA?

edit: nevermind. State police website has the answer - nothing required, but a new one can be issued if desired.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I have always found the Henrico Clerk of Circuit Court Office to be very cordial and efficient,especially June Cook. I have walked several people through the process including my gf and all went smoothly.

Yata hey