• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Louisiana

GPossenti

imported post

I've read some of the legal postings regarding open carry, but I feel like I'm missing something in terms of restrictions.

All I've found is that you can't carry a gun on school property.

There are many laws restricting concealed carry, but I've only seen the law regarding schools as far as open carry is concerned.

What am I missing?

imported post

That's the same problem others have. If you read LRS 14:95, Illegal Carrying of a Weapon, it talks about school zones. Other than that, I don't see any restrictions that apply to me openly carrying. If the state of Louisiana wants to try and restrict a right, at least put it all in one place for everyone to see.
Example: go to the state capitol. Unless I see a sign, it appears open carry is accepted. If you're going to claim the state capitol is off limits, then include it under 14:95. Life isn't as nearly complicated as man makes it to be.

GPossenti

imported post

The same thing at our local county courthouse. There's a sign which states that you will be asked to put your gun in your car. It's very openly stated.

I didn't find anything that mentioned that I cannot open carry within 1000 ft, just not on school property. Is this true?

imported post

"Local" being where? Being asked to put it in your car doesn't sound like "law," but "preference." Lots of "them" try to mislead you into thinking their opinion IS law. Don't be fooled, ask them to show you the law, itself.
As for schools, I need to go back and re-read 14:95.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

IIRC, the senior judge in a courthouse can set just about any rules he wants; that, unfortunately, would include a "no guns" policy. Ironically, the only people I can find that State Law specifically prohibits from having a firearm in a courtroom is a police officer who is involved in the case before the court.

RS 40:1797
http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=97861

Louisiana Carry

imported post

RS 40:1796 Preemption of state law

[align=justify]A. No governing authority of a political subdivision shall enact after July 15, 1985, any ordinance or regulation more restrictive than state law concerning in any way the sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transfer, transportation, license, or registration of firearms, ammunition, or components of firearms or ammunition; however, this Section shall not apply to the levy and collection of sales and use taxes, license fees and taxes and permit fees, nor shall it affect the authority of political subdivisions to prohibit the possession of a weapon or firearm in certain commercial establishments and public buildings.[/align]
[align=justify]B. Nothing in this Section shall prohibit a local governing authority in a high-risk area from developing a plan with federally licensed firearms manufacturers, dealers, or importers to secure the inventory of firearms and ammunition of those licensees in order to prevent looting of the licensee's premises during a declared state of emergency or disaster. Such plan shall be renewed on a periodic basis. The information contained in the plan shall be deemed security procedures as defined in R.S. 44:3.1 and shall be released only to the sheriffs of the parishes or police chiefs of municipalities in which the declared state of emergency or disaster exists.[/align]
[align=justify]C. For the purposes of this Section:[/align]
[align=justify](1) "Declared emergency or disaster" means an emergency or disaster declared by the governor or parish president pursuant to the provisions of the Louisiana Homeland Security and Emergency Assistance and Disaster Act.[/align]
[align=justify](2) "High-risk area" means the parishes of Assumption, Calcasieu, Cameron, Iberia, Jefferson, Lafourche, Orleans, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. James, St. John, St. Martin, St. Mary, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Terrebonne, and Vermilion.[/align]