• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Portland?

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Posted this in THR, but thought I might get abetter response here. I have a concealed carry license, but just don't feel comfortable open carrying yet, but I have been giving it a lot of thought recently. I was curious if anyone in the Portland metro are OC'd in support of the OC grass roots movement for the 4th of July weekend. What reaction did you get if any? I am particularly curious if you OC'd on the Max train.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Cougfan2 wrote:
Posted this in THR, but thought I might get abetter response here. I have a concealed carry license, but just don't feel comfortable open carrying yet, but I have been giving it a lot of thought recently. I was curious if anyone in the Portland metro are OC'd in support of the OC grass roots movement for the 4th of July weekend. What reaction did you get if any? I am particularly curious if you OC'd on the Max train.

Welcome to OCDO Cougfan.

You will have better luck in the Oregon sub-forum with your questions and concerns. Those folks over there know a great deal more than us about Oregon laws.

ETA: Providing of course you meant Portland, Oregon. :)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Cougfan2 wrote:
What state? Move to correct state forum if need be.

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

To Mike, Super Moderator I don't know how to move this to the Oregon forum. Can you help me out?

Thanks in advance. :)

grishnav

imported post

Cougfan2 wrote:
I OC'd a little bit on the 4th, but dealing with an encounter on Independence day was about the last thing on my mind, and I was out on Marine drive where the po-po was in force.

Anyway, no reactions when I did... Didn't hit up the Max over the holiday.

jamesb3002

imported post

I open carry in Portland and have not had any problems.

I work nights as a delivery driver and carry on the job openly and have been for 1.5 years now with no problems.

I also open carry running my errand during the day. Open carried at jubitz, safeway, taco bell, verizon wireless, etc at jantzen beach with no problems at all. No comments from anyone and no cops called.

As long as you have your CHL you can openly carry a loaded firearm in Portland.

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I'm pretty much shot for July, but would be up for something in August. Of course being the newbie here, I will defer to the majority. I conceal carry every day, but am still a little paranoid about open carry. I think strength in numbers might help me. It's easy for the police to harass a lone open carrier, but pretty tough for a whole group excersing their rights.

CharonPDX

Late, but here's the relevant info for MAX:

According to TriMet Code, Chapter 28, D(2), blah blah, no weapons, blah blah..
...except in accordance with administrative rules as may be promulgated by the General Manager or otherwise provided by law. Where possession of such weapons cannot be prohibited by law, a person in possession of a weapon may not display or carry the weapon in a manner which is likely to result in fear or alarm by other persons or District employees.

The wording is questionable, since the whole "public menace" and "disturbing the peace" are popular means for the PoPo (popular nickname for the Portland Police, for those outside Portland,) to 'get' people carrying openly. But based on that, carrying openly will likely produce "fear or alarm" here in Portland. All it takes is one inspector to get scared, and you're kicked off.

Now, if you're willing to put up with the PoPo coming and dragging you away, and being excluded - then later fight it in court, more power to you.

Note: Open carry is *LEGAL* in a few cities TriMet serves, such as Hillsboro and Gresham. That means without a CHL, you can open carry a loaded firearm at the two ends of the main MAX line; but not anywhere in between. Also, because of the goofiness of the Oregon Constitution and laws, cities can only ban open carry of *LOADED* firearms. (Which includes removable magazines, unfortunately - but does *NOT* include revolver speedloaders.) So if you have your ammunition separate from your firearm or its magazines, you can carry open, even in downtown Portland, even without a CHL. But that is still asking for a world of abuse from the police.

I remember a few years ago someone was walking through downtown Portland with a shotgun. The police (who were apparently significantly more civil at the time - hard to believe for a life-long Portlandian,) stopped him, interviewed him quickly, ensured his shotgun was unloaded, and carried on. (They *DID* stay nearby, I'm sure partly to keep an eye on him, but also partly to reassure scared people that what he was doing was legal.)

We-the-People

I've been wanting to OC in Portland for the last two years. As well as Salem, Eugene, and a few other places. Not going to go it alone though (wan't a "backup" to carry my wireless recording device and video).

I have managed to get up to Salem but with gas the way it is and getting 12 mpg....Guess I'm not going to get to go for a while.

Window_Seat

According to TriMet Code, Chapter 28, D(2), blah blah, no weapons, blah blah..

...except in accordance with administrative rules as may be promulgated by the General Manager or otherwise provided by law. Where possession of such weapons cannot be prohibited by law, a person in possession of a weapon may not display or carry the weapon in a manner which is likely to result in fear or alarm by other persons or District employees.
The wording is questionable, since the whole "public menace" and "disturbing the peace" are popular means for the PoPo (popular nickname for the Portland Police, for those outside Portland,) to 'get' people carrying openly. But based on that, carrying openly will likely produce "fear or alarm" here in Portland. All it takes is one inspector to get scared, and you're kicked off.

This is the thing that troubles me, and I'm apprehensive about OC while I'm visiting (with my Oregon CHL) in the Beaverton area.

Washington has a similar statute that makes it "convenient" for PD to detain & cite, and then poof, your rights are gone for 10 years because someone said "you scared them"...

I think it's probably best that I wait until there is good case law or something ratified that actually protects the right, as well as the activity. Unfortunately anyone could call and say "I'm scared"...

Erik.

Historyman1942

Note: Open carry is *LEGAL* in a few cities TriMet serves, such as Hillsboro and Gresham. That means without a CHL, you can open carry a loaded firearm at the two ends of the main MAX line; but not anywhere in between. Also, because of the goofiness of the Oregon Constitution and laws, cities can only ban open carry of *LOADED* firearms. (Which includes removable magazines, unfortunately - but does *NOT* include revolver speedloaders.) So if you have your ammunition separate from your firearm or its magazines, you can carry open, even in downtown Portland, even without a CHL. But that is still asking for a world of abuse from the police.

I remember a few years ago someone was walking through downtown Portland with a shotgun. The police (who were apparently significantly more civil at the time - hard to believe for a life-long Portlandian,) stopped him, interviewed him quickly, ensured his shotgun was unloaded, and carried on. (They *DID* stay nearby, I'm sure partly to keep an eye on him, but also partly to reassure scared people that what he was doing was legal.)

Actually the Oregon Laws define that a Loaded Firearm is that with a round in the chamber or in the magazine attached to the weapon. Also a preemptive statue also states the cities and counties cannot regulate the carry of ammunition as well if I am not mistaken. So Portland's ordinance on the issue is technically beyond the powers authorized by the legislature.... however it just has not been challenged yet. I know OFF would help out the luck bastard who did.

hermannr

I would not (do not) worry about OC in a holster. To carry in a holster is NOT a "display" of the weapon.

Carry outside of the holster in your hand could be a "display", which is probably why an openly carried shotgun could draw attention.