• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Working on drafting Ballot Initiative for Loaded OC and School zone rules.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have begun and intend to draw a ballot initiative to change the California Penal Code to make OC more favorable and legal.

12031 seems to be the code that makes loaded carry illegal in incorporated or prohibited areas, along with its relevant exemptions and punishments and is not needed for any other purpose. I have also seen references in other sections, but only in association of making someone guilty of violating 12031 a class of restriction. If we remove this provision my understanding is that loaded carry would then be legal.

626.9 Gun-Free School Zone is the section that defines as carrying a firearm either loaded or unloaded through a school zone as illegal. Re-write 629.9 subsection (c.) to include a provision for Open Carry:
When firearm is transported in accordance with Section 12025(f) and is on a public street or sidewalk that is not part of the school grounds and the possession of the firearm is otherwise lawful.
I am no lawyer, but would be willing to chip in some time, effort and money to get one that might help us properly compose this ballot initiative…
Code:

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

After doing some research it seems that we can simply form the "Concept" of the law changes and with 25 California registered voters signatures we can have the office of legislative Council research and draft the actual changes to statute for submission to the AG for a title and official summary of the initiative.

So can I get 25 sigs from people on this forum?

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

But before we go to far on this I think there is another issue we most resolve. If we DO get an initiative and files with the AG, then people will need to work to get signatures. We will need staff and legal professionals to make sure the sigs are legal and of course we need to lobby. . . So question is. . . How far do we want to go now?
That is to say, we can make a website and collect some signatures easy. . the hard and costly part comes when we need to convince voters! Anyone ever setup a non-profit org in CA before?

Either way in anticipation I registered a domain CAOCRights.ORG

The ONLY purpose of this site would be to link to sites like this one and allow registered CA voters to sign the petitions.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

To put into perspective, we would need 600K signatures to make a constitutional amendment petition. Only 400K to make a law.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ok, so CAOCRights.org is up with the basic working structure. I will be building it more iin the next few weeks.

Remember as mentioned that my site is intended to be a legislative action group, involved in lobbying, law enforcement education and helping in legal matters to people on this movement that need help, and is not intended to replace a wonderful resource such as opencarry.org.

This site should remain your source of information and updates.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
A ballot initiative in California to remove PC12031 and PC629.9's "zones".

You'd have much better luck with a lawsuit.
Will try that too. I can always change it to be more vague so as not to mean that we will expressly use ballot initiatives. One that leaves any means open.