• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Half of gun deaths are suicides

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

http://www.charlotte.com/476/story/693277.html

Can you say boycott? This article is so anti gun, it almost brings a smile to my face. The writer opens up by letting us know that this is written as a an argument against the Heller case. Pathetic! :banghead:

(snip)

"One public-health study found that suicide and homicide rates in the district dropped after the ban was adopted. The district has allowed shotguns and rifles to be kept in homes if they are registered, kept unloaded and taken apart or equipped with trigger locks."

Have they forgotten how to cite? Oh wait, you can't site the name of the bull from which this was excreted.

Caveman93

imported post

It's a disgrace of an article and explains why these papers are cutting jobs. What absolute nonsense. What's more particularly funny is that by the timeyou read this part of the article, you will also notice this article started out with the SCOTUS ruling on a total pistol ban issue in DC. These idiots at this paper try to link a total pitol ban in DCto gun suicides? Let's see the statistics on what was actually used in the 55% of "Gun related"suicides and "Firearm related" homicides first before we jump to some conclusive connection between total pitol banning and said statistics eh?. Ha! Gun related...firearm? Where is the word pistol in this article? Were they all semi-auto pistols?

Heck, if they took away all of our guns, I am sure these folks could find a nice bridge to jump off of or train to run in front of if they really wanted to die that badly!

"There was nothing unique about that year - gun-related suicides have outnumbered firearm homicides and accidents for 20 of the last 25 years. In 2005, homicides accounted for 40 percent of gun deaths. Accidents accounted for 3 percent. The remaining 2 percent included legal killings, such as when police do the shooting, and cases that involve undetermined intent."

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

"There was nothing unique about that year - gun-related suicides have outnumbered firearm homicides and accidents for 20 of the last 25 years. In 2005, homicides accounted for 40 percent of gun deaths. Accidents accounted for 3 percent. The remaining 2 percent included legal killings, such as when police do the shooting, and cases that involve undetermined intent."
According to this idiot, only cops can legally shoot somone.

murphy2

imported post

There is proof the police can't protect you. 40%and the police account for part of 2%. Where are they when all these "homicides" are taking place. And how many of the deaths, because the innocent was not armed? Or because said victim looked like easy pickins. If they where able to OC they may not have been killed. I wouldn't take on someone packin. They may be faster. I am not cop bashing. Just making a point.

No NAU

imported post

That link is dead, I found the original here:

http://www.fortmilltimes.com/119/story/211231.html

I never understand suicides by gun being used as a tool of the anti's.

People commit suicide. People have beeen killing themselves since long before the invention of gun powder. Perhaps focusing the funding used in the anti-gun campaign towards suicide prevention and counseling might be more beneficial?

Here in Oregon we are fortunate that we have physician assisted suicide. I have seen quite a few folks terminally ill in a horrendously painful existence that had every right to want out of this world. So barring the PTB giving one a "legal" way out of here with a nice injection that puts one to sleep first the instantaneous nature of a gun seems much more desirable than say a bottle of pills or a botched jump attempt landing one in a wheelchair as a quadriplegic.

Here is another quote, just change the word "handgun" to "knife", "If a resident has a handgun in the home that he can use for self-defense, then he has a handgun in the home that he can use to commit suicide or engage in acts of domestic violence," Breyer wrote.

murphy2

imported post

Isn'tit against the law to kill yourself? People who want to are going to with what ever they can do it with. Knife, hanging,jump in front of a train, jump off a cliff...etc. We should ban all trains, cliffs, knives....etc.