Thread: New gun & a couple of oc experiences

Post imported post

So I recently purchased a new carry gun, & here he is:

STI Spartan .45acp. bought it from Larry down at FBMG in Draper. Have been to the range & put 100 rounds through it, & i am in love with it. It has replaced my XD45 as my carry gun. I got a serpa holster for it this last week, & have oc'd a couple times w/it.

I was ocing on Friday & went to Mcd's to pick up breakfast. I walked in & there were a few people there no one paid much attention to me. As I was standing wondering what to get a gentleman approached me & asked if I was LEO. I told him no & he said oh I was just wondering because of your gun there. He said he was from Gergia & wasn't familiar w/local laws. We had a great conversation about Utah gun laws & ocing. Of course I plugged ocdo & told him to visit the site. It was a great experience & one of my first opportunities to discuss ocing.

Later that day a friend of mine called me all sorts of bent out of shape. He had oc'd to the movie theater in Layton (which actually has a no firearms sign posted outside) while he & his wife are standing in line some guy (not a theater employee) comes up to him & says "is that a gun on your hip" "yes it is" "do you know that that is ilegal in Utah?" "That is brandishing a weapon." "no it's not" My friend is not really familiar with the open carry laws so he just blew the guy off. Then a theater employee came up & asked him to leave his gun in the car. Not sure what he did after that as we started talking about the oc laws & such. I couldn't believe the gall this guy had to come up & tell him about "Utah gun laws" I told him the guy was up in the night & next time to explain to him about the law.

Post imported post

Nice pistol..

Ya, thats why i trolled this site for a couple weeks looking for inormation and then educated/memorized certain statutes THEN started OCing. lol.

Someone once sated on these forums that if you dont want the attention that OC gets, go get a CCW... I think its really just depends on how well you can state your case with the FACTS when your approached while OCing. IMO

Post imported post

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

nice gun!

and good McDonalds experience, I like to see that people ask questions instead of assuming like at the theater.

Post imported post

Good job and sorry about the theater problem. Here is a link for OC Tools to have ready with you:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/11475.html
    Charles A. Hall, self-proclaimed Lone Eagle || Carry: Kahr CW40
    Lone Eagle Observer (http://www.charlesahall.us)
    Facebook Page || http://twitter.com/CharlesAHall

Post imported post

just a note D94R, the signs aren't illegal, but you are right that they hold no legal weight.

Nice gun there buddy.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Thanks for the compliments on the gun I have been really impressed w/it so far.

My friend has his ccw he started ocing because of his style of dress he doesn't like baggy pants & shirts. I am about 50/50 oc/cc. I explained to him about the oc/ccw laws & he plans on visiting here more to get more familiar w/them. I have actually been on ocdo for over a year now, I registered under a new username because my old one was xd45acp & since I don't own an xd anymore I figured I better change it. I have been ccing for a bit over 5 years & ocing for a couple years.

Post imported post

Tucker wrote:

STI Spartan .45acp. bought it from Larry down at FBMG in Draper. Have been to the range & put 100 rounds through it, & i am in love with it. It has replaced my XD45 as my carry gun. I got a serpa holster for it this last week, & have oc'd a couple times w/it.

I was ocing on Friday & went to Mcd's to pick up breakfast. I walked in & there were a few people there no one paid much attention to me. As I was standing wondering what to get a gentleman approached me & asked if I was LEO. I told him no & he said oh I was just wondering because of your gun there. He said he was from Gergia & wasn't familiar w/local laws. We had a great conversation about Utah gun laws & ocing. Of course I plugged ocdo & told him to visit the site. It was a great experience & one of my first opportunities to discuss ocing.

Later that day a friend of mine called me all sorts of bent out of shape. He had oc'd to the movie theater in Layton (which actually has a no firearms sign posted outside) while he & his wife are standing in line some guy (not a theater employee) comes up to him & says "is that a gun on your hip" "yes it is" "do you know that that is ilegal in Utah?" "That is brandishing a weapon." "no it's not" My friend is not really familiar with the open carry laws so he just blew the guy off. Then a theater employee came up & asked him to leave his gun in the car. Not sure what he did after that as we started talking about the oc laws & such. I couldn't believe the gall this guy had to come up & tell him about "Utah gun laws" I told him the guy was up in the night & next time to explain to him about the law.
    How much was it???

TJ

Post imported post

WAIT A MINUTE! You got rid of a gun!? WTF? Are you crazy?

Just about everytime somebody tells me about a gun that they used to have, they also tell me that they wish they had never gotten rid of it.

I have sold one gun, and I regret it. Of course on the bright side, if I had never sold that one, I would not have had the motorcycle that I used to get my XD. So........

DON'T SELL GUNS!

But, you know, you could GIVE them to me if you wanted.........I wouldn't mind........

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    Tucker wrote:

How much was it???

TJ
    $540 +tax

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:

Just about everytime somebody tells me about a gun that they used to have, they also tell me that they wish they had never gotten rid of it.

I have sold one gun, and I regret it. Of course on the bright side, if I had never sold that one, I would not have had the motorcycle that I used to get my XD. So........

DON'T SELL GUNS!

But, you know, you could GIVE them to me if you wanted.........I wouldn't mind........
    Well, you won't hear of many XDs w/problems, but I had feeding problems w/that particular XD45. I sent it back to Springfield & they took care of the problem, but I just couldn't rely on it, & I couldn't afford to keep both. I will be purchasing another XD9 (I sold my XD9 to buy the XD45) after I buy a battle rifle of some sort.

Post imported post

Still not okay:P Just because you can't rely on it doesn't mean..bla bla bla.................................And that's how I lost my arm.

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:

DON'T SELL GUNS!

I have never regretted selling a gun.

Of course, I’ve never sold a gun.

Post imported post

Yep, I would keep it that way. I'm not even going to sell my HI-Point!

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    Still not okay:P Just because you can't rely on it doesn't mean..bla bla bla.................................And that's how I lost my arm.
    Sorry about your arm.

Post imported post

Tucker wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    Tucker wrote:

How much was it???

TJ
    $540 +tax
    Not bad.

It's a good-looking gun. Shoot Well ?

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    Tucker wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    Tucker wrote:

How much was it???

TJ
    $540 +tax
    Not bad.

It's a good-looking gun. Shoot Well ?
    Like a champ.

Post imported post

Pretty good price for a 1911, Makes me want one.

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    Pretty good price for a 1911, Makes me want one.
    They did a group buy w/special pricing if you watch their website they have them every couple of months. Here is the company blog http://fbmg.wordpress.com, they are doing some work on their website right now so it isn't up as far as I know. They post all their group buys on the blog though. So check it periodically if you are interested.

Post imported post

Post imported post

I don't think bees have knees..............

Post imported post

Post imported post

Like I said I have been thoroughly impressed w/it so far. Hopefully I will make it to the range Saturday to put a few more rounds through it. I will be heading up to the range in Fruit Heights sometime Saturday morning if anyone is interested.