Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: New gun & a couple of oc experiences

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    So I recently purchased a new carry gun, & here he is:



    STI Spartan .45acp. bought it from Larry down at FBMG in Draper. Have been to the range & put 100 rounds through it, & i am in love with it. It has replaced my XD45 as my carry gun. I got a serpa holster for it this last week, & have oc'd a couple times w/it.

    I was ocing on Friday & went to Mcd's to pick up breakfast. I walked in & there were a few people there no one paid much attention to me. As I was standing wondering what to get a gentleman approached me & asked if I was LEO. I told him no & he said oh I was just wondering because of your gun there. He said he was from Gergia & wasn't familiar w/local laws. We had a great conversation about Utah gun laws & ocing. Of course I plugged ocdo & told him to visit the site. It was a great experience & one of my first opportunities to discuss ocing.

    Later that day a friend of mine called me all sorts of bent out of shape. He had oc'd to the movie theater in Layton (which actually has a no firearms sign posted outside) while he & his wife are standing in line some guy (not a theater employee) comes up to him & says "is that a gun on your hip" "yes it is" "do you know that that is ilegal in Utah?" "That is brandishing a weapon." "no it's not" My friend is not really familiar with the open carry laws so he just blew the guy off. Then a theater employee came up & asked him to leave his gun in the car. Not sure what he did after that as we started talking about the oc laws & such. I couldn't believe the gall this guy had to come up & tell him about "Utah gun laws" I told him the guy was up in the night & next time to explain to him about the law.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Eagle Mountain, Utah, USA
    Posts
    166

    Post imported post

    Nice pistol..

    Ya, thats why i trolled this site for a couple weeks looking for inormation and then educated/memorized certain statutes THEN started OCing. lol.

    Someone once sated on these forums that if you dont want the attention that OC gets, go get a CCW... I think its really just depends on how well you can state your case with the FACTS when your approached while OCing. IMO

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    119

    Post imported post



  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ogden, UT, ,
    Posts
    258

    Post imported post

    nice gun!

    and good McDonalds experience, I like to see that people ask questions instead of assuming like at the theater.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orem, Utah, USA
    Posts
    385

    Post imported post

    Good job and sorry about the theater problem. Here is a link for OC Tools to have ready with you:

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/11475.html
    Charles A. Hall, self-proclaimed Lone Eagle || Carry: Kahr CW40
    Lone Eagle Observer (http://www.charlesahall.us)
    Facebook Page || http://twitter.com/CharlesAHall

  6. #6
    Regular Member thx997303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,716

    Post imported post

    just a note D94R, the signs aren't illegal, but you are right that they hold no legal weight.

    Nice gun there buddy.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    119

    Post imported post



  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    Thanks for the compliments on the gun I have been really impressed w/it so far.

    My friend has his ccw he started ocing because of his style of dress he doesn't like baggy pants & shirts. I am about 50/50 oc/cc. I explained to him about the oc/ccw laws & he plans on visiting here more to get more familiar w/them. I have actually been on ocdo for over a year now, I registered under a new username because my old one was xd45acp & since I don't own an xd anymore I figured I better change it. I have been ccing for a bit over 5 years & ocing for a couple years.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    Tucker wrote:
    So I recently purchased a new carry gun, & here he is:



    STI Spartan .45acp. bought it from Larry down at FBMG in Draper. Have been to the range & put 100 rounds through it, & i am in love with it. It has replaced my XD45 as my carry gun. I got a serpa holster for it this last week, & have oc'd a couple times w/it.

    I was ocing on Friday & went to Mcd's to pick up breakfast. I walked in & there were a few people there no one paid much attention to me. As I was standing wondering what to get a gentleman approached me & asked if I was LEO. I told him no & he said oh I was just wondering because of your gun there. He said he was from Gergia & wasn't familiar w/local laws. We had a great conversation about Utah gun laws & ocing. Of course I plugged ocdo & told him to visit the site. It was a great experience & one of my first opportunities to discuss ocing.

    Later that day a friend of mine called me all sorts of bent out of shape. He had oc'd to the movie theater in Layton (which actually has a no firearms sign posted outside) while he & his wife are standing in line some guy (not a theater employee) comes up to him & says "is that a gun on your hip" "yes it is" "do you know that that is ilegal in Utah?" "That is brandishing a weapon." "no it's not" My friend is not really familiar with the open carry laws so he just blew the guy off. Then a theater employee came up & asked him to leave his gun in the car. Not sure what he did after that as we started talking about the oc laws & such. I couldn't believe the gall this guy had to come up & tell him about "Utah gun laws" I told him the guy was up in the night & next time to explain to him about the law.
    How much was it???

    TJ

  10. #10
    Regular Member thx997303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,716

    Post imported post

    WAIT A MINUTE! You got rid of a gun!? WTF? Are you crazy?

    Just about everytime somebody tells me about a gun that they used to have, they also tell me that they wish they had never gotten rid of it.

    I have sold one gun, and I regret it. Of course on the bright side, if I had never sold that one, I would not have had the motorcycle that I used to get my XD. So........

    DON'T SELL GUNS!

    But, you know, you could GIVE them to me if you wanted.........I wouldn't mind........

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    Tucker wrote:
    So I recently purchased a new carry gun, & here he is:



    STI Spartan .45acp. bought it from Larry down at FBMG in Draper. Have been to the range & put 100 rounds through it, & i am in love with it. It has replaced my XD45 as my carry gun. I got a serpa holster for it this last week, & have oc'd a couple times w/it.

    I was ocing on Friday & went to Mcd's to pick up breakfast. I walked in & there were a few people there no one paid much attention to me. As I was standing wondering what to get a gentleman approached me & asked if I was LEO. I told him no & he said oh I was just wondering because of your gun there. He said he was from Gergia & wasn't familiar w/local laws. We had a great conversation about Utah gun laws & ocing. Of course I plugged ocdo & told him to visit the site. It was a great experience & one of my first opportunities to discuss ocing.

    Later that day a friend of mine called me all sorts of bent out of shape. He had oc'd to the movie theater in Layton (which actually has a no firearms sign posted outside) while he & his wife are standing in line some guy (not a theater employee) comes up to him & says "is that a gun on your hip" "yes it is" "do you know that that is ilegal in Utah?" "That is brandishing a weapon." "no it's not" My friend is not really familiar with the open carry laws so he just blew the guy off. Then a theater employee came up & asked him to leave his gun in the car. Not sure what he did after that as we started talking about the oc laws & such. I couldn't believe the gall this guy had to come up & tell him about "Utah gun laws" I told him the guy was up in the night & next time to explain to him about the law.
    How much was it???

    TJ
    $540 +tax

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    thx997303 wrote:
    WAIT A MINUTE! You got rid of a gun!? WTF? Are you crazy?

    Just about everytime somebody tells me about a gun that they used to have, they also tell me that they wish they had never gotten rid of it.

    I have sold one gun, and I regret it. Of course on the bright side, if I had never sold that one, I would not have had the motorcycle that I used to get my XD. So........

    DON'T SELL GUNS!

    But, you know, you could GIVE them to me if you wanted.........I wouldn't mind........
    Well, you won't hear of many XDs w/problems, but I had feeding problems w/that particular XD45. I sent it back to Springfield & they took care of the problem, but I just couldn't rely on it, & I couldn't afford to keep both. I will be purchasing another XD9 (I sold my XD9 to buy the XD45) after I buy a battle rifle of some sort.

  13. #13
    Regular Member thx997303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,716

    Post imported post

    Still not okay:P Just because you can't rely on it doesn't mean..bla bla bla.................................And that's how I lost my arm.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taylorsville, Utah, USA
    Posts
    194

    Post imported post

    thx997303 wrote:
    WAIT A MINUTE! You got rid of a gun!? WTF? Are you crazy?

    Just about everytime somebody tells me about a gun that they used to have, they also tell me that they wish they had never gotten rid of it.

    I have sold one gun, and I regret it. Of course on the bright side, if I had never sold that one, I would not have had the motorcycle that I used to get my XD. So........

    DON'T SELL GUNS!

    But, you know, you could GIVE them to me if you wanted.........I wouldn't mind........
    I have never regretted selling a gun.





    Of course, I’ve never sold a gun.



  15. #15
    Regular Member thx997303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,716

    Post imported post

    Yep, I would keep it that way. I'm not even going to sell my HI-Point!

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    thx997303 wrote:
    Still not okay:P Just because you can't rely on it doesn't mean..bla bla bla.................................And that's how I lost my arm.
    Sorry about your arm.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    Tucker wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    Tucker wrote:
    So I recently purchased a new carry gun, & here he is:



    STI Spartan .45acp. bought it from Larry down at FBMG in Draper. Have been to the range & put 100 rounds through it, & i am in love with it. It has replaced my XD45 as my carry gun. I got a serpa holster for it this last week, & have oc'd a couple times w/it.

    I was ocing on Friday & went to Mcd's to pick up breakfast. I walked in & there were a few people there no one paid much attention to me. As I was standing wondering what to get a gentleman approached me & asked if I was LEO. I told him no & he said oh I was just wondering because of your gun there. He said he was from Gergia & wasn't familiar w/local laws. We had a great conversation about Utah gun laws & ocing. Of course I plugged ocdo & told him to visit the site. It was a great experience & one of my first opportunities to discuss ocing.

    Later that day a friend of mine called me all sorts of bent out of shape. He had oc'd to the movie theater in Layton (which actually has a no firearms sign posted outside) while he & his wife are standing in line some guy (not a theater employee) comes up to him & says "is that a gun on your hip" "yes it is" "do you know that that is ilegal in Utah?" "That is brandishing a weapon." "no it's not" My friend is not really familiar with the open carry laws so he just blew the guy off. Then a theater employee came up & asked him to leave his gun in the car. Not sure what he did after that as we started talking about the oc laws & such. I couldn't believe the gall this guy had to come up & tell him about "Utah gun laws" I told him the guy was up in the night & next time to explain to him about the law.
    How much was it???

    TJ
    $540 +tax
    Not bad.

    It's a good-looking gun. Shoot Well ?

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    Tucker wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    Tucker wrote:
    So I recently purchased a new carry gun, & here he is:



    STI Spartan .45acp. bought it from Larry down at FBMG in Draper. Have been to the range & put 100 rounds through it, & i am in love with it. It has replaced my XD45 as my carry gun. I got a serpa holster for it this last week, & have oc'd a couple times w/it.

    I was ocing on Friday & went to Mcd's to pick up breakfast. I walked in & there were a few people there no one paid much attention to me. As I was standing wondering what to get a gentleman approached me & asked if I was LEO. I told him no & he said oh I was just wondering because of your gun there. He said he was from Gergia & wasn't familiar w/local laws. We had a great conversation about Utah gun laws & ocing. Of course I plugged ocdo & told him to visit the site. It was a great experience & one of my first opportunities to discuss ocing.

    Later that day a friend of mine called me all sorts of bent out of shape. He had oc'd to the movie theater in Layton (which actually has a no firearms sign posted outside) while he & his wife are standing in line some guy (not a theater employee) comes up to him & says "is that a gun on your hip" "yes it is" "do you know that that is ilegal in Utah?" "That is brandishing a weapon." "no it's not" My friend is not really familiar with the open carry laws so he just blew the guy off. Then a theater employee came up & asked him to leave his gun in the car. Not sure what he did after that as we started talking about the oc laws & such. I couldn't believe the gall this guy had to come up & tell him about "Utah gun laws" I told him the guy was up in the night & next time to explain to him about the law.
    How much was it???

    TJ
    $540 +tax
    Not bad.

    It's a good-looking gun. Shoot Well ?
    Like a champ.

  19. #19
    Regular Member thx997303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,716

    Post imported post

    Pretty good price for a 1911, Makes me want one.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    thx997303 wrote:
    Pretty good price for a 1911, Makes me want one.
    They did a group buy w/special pricing if you watch their website they have them every couple of months. Here is the company blog http://fbmg.wordpress.com, they are doing some work on their website right now so it isn't up as far as I know. They post all their group buys on the blog though. So check it periodically if you are interested.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    119

    Post imported post



  22. #22
    Regular Member thx997303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,716

    Post imported post

    I don't think bees have knees..............

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    119

    Post imported post



  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    Like I said I have been thoroughly impressed w/it so far. Hopefully I will make it to the range Saturday to put a few more rounds through it. I will be heading up to the range in Fruit Heights sometime Saturday morning if anyone is interested.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •