• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do I go about obtaining a silencer?

hsmith

imported post

You will go to a store (or online) and purchase your silencer. They will hold on to it.

You will fill out your form 1's and form 4's

You will need to get a CLEO signoff (if you have a trust thtere is no sign off)

Send in $200 and forms, wait a few months. Once you get your tax stamp you can get your silencer

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=17&t=199928 has some good info.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

GunsmithDan wrote:
I was just wondering how would I go about obtaining a silencer and about how much will it run me?

Find a Class III dealer. Ask the Class III dealer if they will handle the transfer.

Find a noise suppressor you want. Send in your money.

Complete the Class III tax stamp & CLEO paperwork (available from the BATFE website), send your check/money order to BAFTE and wait - try to do that patiently.

When your paperwork comes back from BAFTE, go to your Class III dealer and show it to them.

Wait (try to do this patiently) till your noise suppressor arrives at your Class III dealer.

Complete the rest of the paperwork and pick up your noise suppressor.

Go to the range and shoot. SMILE.

Find out what a PITA it can be to disassemble & clean your noise suppressor. try to keep smiling.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Hope these steps help.

stay safe.

skidmark

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Go to southern states, buy potato eyes, plant, water, fertilize. Wait for proper size.

Virginiaplanter

imported post

Gray v. Commonwealth, 260 Va. 675, 681, 537 S.E.2d 862, 865 (2000).

"Defendant Thomas Abram Gray, Sr., was found guilty by a jury in the Circuit Court of Botetourt County in July 1998 of conspiracy to murder one James M. Martin, Code §§ 18.2-22 and -32, and of attempted possession of an unregistered firearm muffler or silencer, Code §§ 18.2-308.6 and -26."...

"In September 1997, Dorothea was planning her husband's murder. She showed defendant a magazine ad for a "blueprint" to make a firearm silencer that she desired to procure. She ordered the diagram and, upon receipt, showed it to defendant, a former mechanic. Upon review of the diagram, defendant told Dorothea, that "you don't need nothing like that," and stated that the same purpose could be accomplished, that is, reducing the sound of a firearm, by use of an automotive fuel filter and by "knock[ing] a hole through it and put[ting] it on a .22." Subsequently, while so enamored with Dorothea that he would do anything she asked, defendant bought such a fuel filter and fabricated a firearm silencer to fit two .22 caliber rifles that he owned....

Defendant testified that he had not agreed with Dorothea to kill Martin nor had he intended that Martin be killed. He stated that he made the silencer for his teenage son to use when hunting squirrels....:lol:

And, we reject defendant's contention that the evidence was insufficient to convict of the attempted possession of such a device. In a circular argument, defendant contends that "any 'attempted possession' of a firearm muffler or silencer as charged in the indictment did not violate the statute because there is no obligation to register a firearm until the weapon is actually possessed."...An attempt is composed of the intention to commit the crime, and the doing of some direct act towards its consummation that is more than mere preparation but falls short of execution of the ultimate purpose. Sizemore v. Commonwealth, 218 Va. 980, 983, 243 S.E.2d 212, 213 (1978)."

Bullbuster

imported post

Not to hijack the topic but...

How does it work if the pistol has a built on silencer? Is it the same as above?

I ask as my Mother-in-law has willed me her firearms. 1 is a .22LR semi-auto with 3 matched custom barrels. 1 target, 1 competition, and 1 with a silencer built in. I know it is as I have fired it to verify it. Would be nice to know in advance. Hadn't ever given much thought about it.

Bullbuster

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
Bullbuster wrote:
Not to hijack the topic but...

How does it work if the pistol has a built on silencer? Is it the same as above?

I ask as my Mother-in-law has willed me her firearms. 1 is a .22LR semi-auto with 3 matched custom barrels. 1 target, 1 competition, and 1 with a silencer built in. I know it is as I have fired it to verify it. Would be nice to know in advance. Hadn't ever given much thought about it.

It's not hijacking the thread, IMHO, but right in line with the original question about how to legallyobtain a suppressor. Regardless of it being a stand-alone suppressor or an integrally suppressed firearm the process is the same. In the example you mention though, there is a slight difference in the transfer process if one is obtaining a suppressor via purchase versus via inheritance. As a lawfully and named heir you'd use a Form 5 (Application for Tax-Exempt Transfer/Registration ofa Firearm.) You can see a copy of the form at: http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/pdfs/f53205.pdf

The differences are that there's no $200 tax due when it transfers from her [estate] to you, and since she'll no longer be among the living she won't be able to sign the transfer so her executor/executrix will sign in her stead.One other thing to keep in mind in regards to the NFA is that the BATF won't approve a transfer/registration if such possession is contray to state law. Presuming you live in VA and the suppressor is already registered it's a non-issue though.

HTH
I do live in VA but my M-I-L is in San Antonio, TX. My wife is the executor of her estate as well. I do have to wonder about the registration of it. Her ex husband was a Class III collector and dealer. He left her this gun in the divorce as he had bought it for her. I'll need to talk to her about this. It could be a huge issue if it was registered in his name in the first place. Lord only knows where he is these days.