• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC-issue at Sportsmans in the Springs

AnaxImperator

imported post

On the 4th, I went to Sportsmans Warehouse, OC'ing as I've done on multiple occasions before. Every time before, I never had any problems.

This time however, after I had paid for my ammothecashier girl asked me if I had checked-in my handgun when I entered the store. I told her that I wasn't aware that I had to, as there are no signs posted stating such a requirement, and nobody had said anything to me before. She then told me that next time I visited the store, not only did I have to check-in my sidearm, it also has to be completely unloaded.

I asked her what the point would be in having an unloaded sidearm for self-defense, and if a concealed handgun needed to be checked-in & unloaded as well. She didn't have an answer for that, so I just left.

Evil Ernie

imported post

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

AHA!!! Proof that the Zombie scourge is getting larger!!!

"uuuunnnnnnggggghhhh..........check...your....sidearm.....uuuuunnnggghhh.....so..I...can...eat YOUR BRAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damn, shoulda bought that extra tin of 7.62x39 today....

Dom

imported post

I can't understand a store that sells handguns giving OC'ers greif. I guarantee there are plenty of people CC'ing in the store (yours truly for one, in the Aurora store). Since they don't know, it's "OK". If they did require concealed handguns to be checked, they'd piss off a large part of their customer base.

A few months ago I bought a pistol from Gander Mountain. I was CC'ing at the time but after my purchase the clerk had to "walk me out" with the new handgun, saying it was company policy. I told him it was silly and that I could be carrying concealed. He was pretty cool and agreed with me, then asked me what I was carrying :D.

Evil Ernie

imported post

I think if it wasn't for the bloodsucking insurance companies/corporate lawyers, there wouldn't be much of an issue. These are strictly "CYA" procedures. Yeah, they suck, but what are ya gonna do...gotta buy ammo somewhere!!!
The only two gunshops where I wasn't hassled (actually I was welcomed!) was Rocky Mountain guns in Parker, and Prairie Arms in Littleton.

BTW, RM guns has 7.62x39 in 700 round tins for $150. They have like 10 left...get'em while they're hot!!! I believe they're Hot Shot brand.

Gunslinger

imported post

I was OCing in front of the store manager last time I was there, and not a word. Of course, I was buying a $1100 SIG at the time, but still this surprises me. Generally I CC, but next time I'll OC to see what they say. I know Specialty Sports is fine with OC.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Before some of you have a coronary, check out some of the older posts on the Idaho thread. Through several of us on OCDO from Idaho, we got both the Sportsman's and Cabela's policies clarified and changed, respectively.

Sportsman's official policy from Corporate is to follow state law. The employee was confusing their policy that relates to firearms that are going in for servicing, with normal, legally carried ones. Basically if you bring in a hunting rifle to have a scope put on it, you have to have it unloaded and check it in, but are allowed to walk around with it after checking in. If you have your daily CC/OC handgun on, that does not apply to you.

Again, from the Corporate level down, Sportsman's policy is to follow state law... unless you are bringin that particular gun in for servicing (for safety reasons).

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks IdahoCorsair. Do you happen to have an email or any documentation of Sportsman's Corp. policy? I recall the store here in Aurora having some kind of signage stating that ALL weapons be unloaded and checked in. I just ignored it when CCing but I haven't OC'd there yet. Not sure how they'll react. If possible, I'd like to have something in writing before I do it.

Anubis

imported post

The Aurora Sportsman's Warehouse formerly had a confusing sign at the door, which might have applied to concealed weapons. I asked an employee if it did pertain to concealed carry and she said no, that it was the customer's right to carry concealed. Later I observed the sign at the door was changed, and now definitely excludes concealed weapons from the check-in process.

So concealed carry is accepted there; I never OCed there.

AnaxImperator

imported post

Every previous time I had OC'ed in Sportsmans, I had lengthy conversations with the managaer in the firearms deparmetn, and he never saida word. Being that there's no signs posted regarding the OC/CCW of handguns in Sportsmans Warehouse, I jut walk in, no worries. This incident IMHOjust so happens to be an ignorant counter-help making up policy as she goes along.

Specialty Sports has no limitations towards OC..... just their ammo prices are a little steeper than Sportsmans.... and Sportsmans offers a military discount. :quirky

Anubis

imported post

AnaxImperator wrote:
Specialty Sports has no limitations towards OC..... just their ammo prices are a little steeper than Sportsmans.... and Sportsmans offers a military discount. :quirky
At Sportsman's, I havegotten a 5% discount buying a case of .45 and once when buying half-case of .45 and half-case of .40.

Gunslinger

imported post

AnaxImperator wrote:
Every previous time I had OC'ed in Sportsmans, I had lengthy conversations with the managaer in the firearms deparmetn, and he never saida word. Being that there's no signs posted regarding the OC/CCW of handguns in Sportsmans Warehouse, I jut walk in, no worries. This incident IMHOjust so happens to be an ignorant counter-help making up policy as she goes along.

I think you're right. Counter help didn't understand the difference between carrying and bringing in a gun for repair, scope mounting, etc. Specialty has a great selection, but I found them $50 higher on the SIG C3, and pretty much the same, gun for gun, on other models. They do really have good accessories--including holsters, though. Nice place to shop. So is Sportsmans--once you get to the gun guys.

AnaxImperator

imported post

Yeah, Specailty is a little bit more expensive than Sportsmans or Dragonmans.... but I much prefer Specialty's ammo & gun selection.... plus their counter-help is knowlegable and friendly as well. Jeff (the owner of Specialty), knows me by name and always has a good word for me. I've heard stories from guys in Dragonmans & at Sporstmans that the help at Specialty is rude and unfriendly towards customers, but I've never seen it. Plus Specialty's selection of guns, gear, & accessoriesis by far the best in the county most likely. I'll gladly pay the extra couple $$$ for good service and selection.

FogRider

imported post

Anubis wrote:
The Aurora Sportsman's Warehouse formerly had a confusing sign at the door, which might have applied to concealed weapons. I asked an employee if it did pertain to concealed carry and she said no, that it was the customer's right to carry concealed. Later I observed the sign at the door was changed, and now definitely excludes concealed weapons from the check-in process.

So concealed carry is accepted there; I never OCed there.
The sign I saw last was worded a little oddly, first it said no loaded guns, then says do not remove a loaded gun from its holster. It then goes on to state the rules for fitting a holster. However, it doesn't mention OC orCC at all. I've just been walking right in. Gander Mountains state that no loaded weapons are allowed, but CCW holders are exempted. Since I am a CCW holder and the sign doesn't say I have to conceal I OC every time.