Thread: Black Powder Firearms

Post imported post

OK all,
    Who's got'em? Now I'm talking REAL black powder, not that sissy substitute crap.
    I currently have a .45 cal Thompson Hawken flintlock. I'll be going to Blunderbuss tomorrow to get "the good stuff". I'll definitely be shooting some video (hopefully I'll survive), so stay tuned.
    Also in the market for a blackpowder revolver if anyone wants to let one go cheap...

Post imported post

I have a black powder Navy Arms revolvermade in Italy, "spiller and burr cal. 36". I bought it new and gave it to my father. He only fired it a few times and I inherited it upon his death.

I am willing to meet and let you look it over.

Post imported post

Anubis, PM sent.

I finally got a pound of FFFg and a pound of FFFFg. That should keep me busy for a spell. I can't believe how much this stuff costs nowadays!!! $50 buck for the powder and three flints. Sheesh...

Alex and I are gonna take the ole "smoke pole" out to the range next week...either we'll have good video of a successful session, or it'll be a visual record of my last moments on Earth...heh....

Funk dat...I'm gonna skip outta work tonight and go shootin tomorrow...

Post imported post

Well, I skipped out of work, and went shootin...and we survived!!!!! :celebrate

Here's the video proof...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzyRd-z_I4s

I gotta say, black powder is a freakin hoot!!!!!!!!!!

Post imported post

That video was pretty awesome. The only black powder rifle I have is a .54 1854 Austrian Lorenz from the Civil War. It's in perfect condition but I've only fired it twice.
    "There are those who still think they are holding the pass against a revolution that may be coming up the road. But they are gazing in the wrong direction. The revolution is behind them. It went by in the Night of Depression, singing songs of freedom" -- Garet Garrett, The Revolution Was (1938)

Post imported post

Woo Hoo!!!!!!

Got me a new smoker!!!! By the good graces of Anubis (thanks buddy!) I've secured a Pietta made 1862 Confederate Navy Spiller and Burr BP revolver!

Spent the day cleaning and fondling and despairing that I can't find 36 cal balls locally so I had to place an order of 300 balls and wads from Midway.

Can't wait to get her to the range!!!! I'll definitely shoot some video. Stay tuned.

Post imported post

If you want black powder revolvers, just go to Cabelas or Dixie Gunworks' websites and look around. M1858 Remingtons can be had bran new for less than $200, IIRC.

Post imported post

I'm gonna see how I like this (I think I'll freakin love it) and possibly aquire more over time.

Post imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
    Woo Hoo!!!!!!

Got me a new smoker!!!! By the good graces of Anubis (thanks buddy!) I've secured a Pietta made 1862 Confederate Navy Spiller and Burr BP revolver!
    That's a really nice gun. I used to have one that was similar to it.
    "There are those who still think they are holding the pass against a revolution that may be coming up the road. But they are gazing in the wrong direction. The revolution is behind them. It went by in the Night of Depression, singing songs of freedom" -- Garet Garrett, The Revolution Was (1938)

Post imported post

I've had a Colt 1851 Navy for about 35 years... It works... but it's pretty much a wall hanger. I won't keep powder in the house... 'n it's too hot in the garage or shed.

Post imported post

Finally got out to shoot the S&P.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Q8eyQ3YdU

Yeah, I know the stance is all wrong. Just keeping a distance JIC since it's a new to me pistol.

Post imported post

Cool! So it works!

Post imported post

Yeah, it's really a hoot!!! Lots of noise and smoke but almost no recoil. Definitely a fun gun to shoot. Now to get a good holster and a loading stand.

Post imported post

Ernie, a prediction: within the next few months, you will be looking for an 1858 Remington .44 revolver. The .36 revolver with 25 gr FFFg gives about 200 ft/lbs of muzzle energy, but the .44 with 35 gr FFFg produces about 250 ft/lbs ( and a lot more smoke and flame!) Check out some of the videos on YouTube.