• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Black Powder Firearms

Evil Ernie

imported post

OK all,
Who's got'em? Now I'm talking REAL black powder, not that sissy substitute crap.
I currently have a .45 cal Thompson Hawken flintlock. I'll be going to Blunderbuss tomorrow to get "the good stuff". I'll definitely be shooting some video (hopefully I'll survive), so stay tuned.
Also in the market for a blackpowder revolver if anyone wants to let one go cheap...

Anubis

imported post

I have a black powder Navy Arms revolvermade in Italy, "spiller and burr cal. 36". I bought it new and gave it to my father. He only fired it a few times and I inherited it upon his death.

I am willing to meet and let you look it over.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Anubis, PM sent.

I finally got a pound of FFFg and a pound of FFFFg. That should keep me busy for a spell. I can't believe how much this stuff costs nowadays!!! $50 buck for the powder and three flints. Sheesh...

Alex and I are gonna take the ole "smoke pole" out to the range next week...either we'll have good video of a successful session, or it'll be a visual record of my last moments on Earth...heh....

Funk dat...I'm gonna skip outta work tonight and go shootin tomorrow...

entartet17

imported post

That video was pretty awesome. The only black powder rifle I have is a .54 1854 Austrian Lorenz from the Civil War. It's in perfect condition but I've only fired it twice.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Woo Hoo!!!!!!

Got me a new smoker!!!! By the good graces of Anubis (thanks buddy!) I've secured a Pietta made 1862 Confederate Navy Spiller and Burr BP revolver!

SpillerandBurr.jpg

Spent the day cleaning and fondling and despairing that I can't find 36 cal balls locally so I had to place an order of 300 balls and wads from Midway.

Can't wait to get her to the range!!!! I'll definitely shoot some video. Stay tuned.

Tomahawk

imported post

If you want black powder revolvers, just go to Cabelas or Dixie Gunworks' websites and look around. M1858 Remingtons can be had bran new for less than $200, IIRC.

entartet17

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
Woo Hoo!!!!!!

Got me a new smoker!!!! By the good graces of Anubis (thanks buddy!) I've secured a Pietta made 1862 Confederate Navy Spiller and Burr BP revolver!
That's a really nice gun. I used to have one that was similar to it.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I've had a Colt 1851 Navy for about 35 years... It works... but it's pretty much a wall hanger. I won't keep powder in the house... 'n it's too hot in the garage or shed.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ernie, a prediction: within the next few months, you will be looking for an 1858 Remington .44 revolver. The .36 revolver with 25 gr FFFg gives about 200 ft/lbs of muzzle energy, but the .44 with 35 gr FFFg produces about 250 ft/lbs ( and a lot more smoke and flame!) Check out some of the videos on YouTube.

:monkey