• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Olympic Arms Assualt Rifles

Dustin

imported post

Since being out of the Corps, I'vedesperately wantto own an AR.

I'm familar with Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite, Trijicon AR's, But these also come with a price of $1,000 or more easily.

I know it's also b/c of their quality.

OA's history:
Olympic Arms builds and sells AR15 pattern rifles and pistols. It also owns Safari Arms, maker of Colt 1911 pattern pistols.

Olympic Arms began as Schuetzen Gun Works (SGW) in 1956, manufacturing barrels in Colorado Springs, CO. In 1975 the company moved to Olympia, WA. In 1982, SGW changed its name to Olympic Arms. In 1987 the company purchased Safari Arms, adding the M1911 pistol to its AR15 products.

Olympic Arms was the first company to mass produce some of the newer features of AR15 style rifles, such as flat-top receivers, free floating aluminum handguards, pistol caliber conversions, and AR15 based pistols. Olympic also manufactures some non-standard caliber AR15s such as .30 Carbine, 9mm and .45 ACP.

I've found a website selling OA AR15's for $599 :what:

These AR's are made by Olympic Arms, which doesn't seem to have the reputation of the one's listed above.

My Question is,

Can anyone proivde any suggestions or comments on or about Olypic Arms AR's ?

Thanks

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

If it's for plinking get whatever you want. But Oly is near the bottom of the barrel.
If it's for SHTF or potential serious use, buy quality. You'll regret it if you don't. I'm a firearms instructor at a large institute that trains thousands of people a year... the little things do add up to cause guns to fail. If it's for "serious" use, buy quality, you'll only cry once!

see this for a reference on who makes quality (bet your life on it kinda gun) and who doesn't. Your cheapest bet for a quality gun would be the basic LMT... actually a bit cheaper than is shown on the chart.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

Dustin

imported post

IdahoCorsair wrote:
If it's for plinking get whatever you want. But Oly is near the bottom of the barrel.
If it's for SHTF or potential serious use, buy quality. You'll regret it if you don't. I'm a firearms instructor at a large institute that trains thousands of people a year... the little things do add up to cause guns to fail. If it's for "serious" use, buy quality, you'll only cry once!

see this for a reference on who makes quality (bet your life on it kinda gun) and who doesn't. Your cheapest bet for a quality gun would be the basic LMT... actually a bit cheaper than is shown on the chart.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

SHTF ?

Plinking ?

Also I'll have to check that site at home, here at work I got the

Access Denied (policy_denied)

Dustin

imported post

Gotcha.

RRA seems to be Top Quality, for Good Prices.

You can Build your own for $600 to $700 it looks like.

I'm trying to stay below the 700$ mark for now, b/c I'm also getting an SpringField XDM. My Budget for both is around $1300.

esstac

imported post

There is nothing wrong with Oly AR15's

In my book they are GTG and local to me, have never had any issues with them and own several of there rifles with 0 issues to include no issues with customer service. I have been down to there place of bussiness several times and they have been extreamly helpful.

I own whole or parts to various other makers and the Oly stuff is on par with the rest.

MetalChris

imported post

Instead of getting a mediocre AR for $600, how about getting a nice AK for that price. :)

Michigander

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
Instead of getting a mediocre AR for $600, how about getting a nice AK for that price. :)
I would say the same thing, but given the fact that Dustin is fond of, familiar and trained with that platform, I'd say the AR would be the better bet. Plus, you can probably manage to take that 600 and piece together a decent build.

By the way, if you don't do a build, and definitely in the case of the pistol, BUY USED. That can save you as much as 50 percent on the price of new guns. At the price of some slight finish wear, you can have great guns for a lot less money. That is why I buy used every time.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I am not an AR fan (already own a .22 don't need another thank you) but OlyArms have a good rep around here. (Don't know why may have something to do with being made here..:p) I know the Olympia Police Department have OlyArms rifles in their patrol cars.

I imagine they are just as good as any other AR platform, and dont' get me going on what I think about 'em. My opinions are too jaded by enough old 'Nam vets and my own personal love for Soviet guns.

But since they are made where I live I have to say take a closer look!

Dustin

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I would say the same thing, but given the fact that Dustin is fond of, familiar and trained with that platform, I'd say the AR would be the better bet. Plus, you can probably manage to take that 600 and piece together a decent build.

By the way, if you don't do a build, and definitely in the case of the pistol, BUY USED. That can save you as much as 50 percent on the price of new guns. At the price of some slight finish wear, you can have great guns for a lot less money. That is why I buy used every time.

This is my thoughts exactly. It's not like I couldn't learn an AK, but I've put around 40,000 rounds down an M4/M16 already. I can reload anddisassemble it blindfolded all day.

My Muscle memory with every aspect of this weapon has been branded into my brain. Hell I slept with it for 4 years. In the Marines you also still have to name it :lol:

I do like the option of building. I'm defintely interested in that. RRA is a very pleasing to the eyes type of website though :(

I do however lack in the understanding of civilan jargin.

What does it mean when they say "Stripped Lower reciever" (No Trigger housing?)

Can I buy a Lower reciever from RRA, and then Upper from elsewhere ?

What do you guys consider the most important part/section of your AR ?

Thanks Guys,I love this place. ;)

gwagner

imported post

I was a PMI at Parris Island for 5 years. So when I EASedI wanted an AR.

I bought an Olympic Arms Car 97. When the ban ended I put a A2 compensator on it. I have run this rifle through the ringer, put several thousand rds through it. Never had a stoppage, period. I have fire PMP, Wolf, Winchester, and every other brand of ammo you can think of. Never had an issue. Plus, it comes with a lifetime warranty.

I would say, feel very safe buying an Oly Arms rifle.

My .02 cents as an Oly Owner for 10 years.

Dustin

imported post

gwagner wrote:
I was a PMI at Parris Island for 5 years. So when I EASedI wanted an AR.

I bought an Olympic Arms Car 97. When the ban ended I put a A2 compensator on it. I have run this rifle through the ringer, put several thousand rds through it. Never had a stoppage, period. I have fire PMP, Wolf, Winchester, and every other brand of ammo you can think of. Never had an issue. Plus, it comes with a lifetime warranty.

I would say, feel very safe buying an Oly Arms rifle.

My .02 cents as an Oly Owner for 10 years.

That's what I'm talking about !

Hey do you guys get to keep the Green Vest ?

Anyway I think I might end up building one. The $599 Oly, is the Oly A1, I think it's the Plinker Plus.

full-pp.jpg

As you can see I would have to replace the upper reciever anyway, b/c i refuse to have the Carrying handle. :(

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have 2 Oly Arms AR-15s, and I love them. Don't let people tell you that they're crap because they're not. I fired 10 rounds at the target below with open sights at 100 yards with my 20" rifle. The group of 4 shots in the 9-ring can be covered with a nickel.

72402001-1.jpg

gwagner

imported post

Last thing I wanted when I left there was to ever wear that horse blanket again...I do however have my last campaign cover hanging on the wall in my office, and the range flag my last platoon did for me.

Galen

Johnny Law

imported post

I would have to ask those who berate Oly Arms rifles if they have ever owned one.

I have owned several and have a good friend who has owned over 100 (seriously) of their rifles. They are as good ANY other ar-15 out there, and have never caused me any problems. Also many Officers on my dept. carry them on duty as well.

Also at one point or another I have had ar-15's made by every major manufacturer. I have never noticed a quality difference, and yes I still have at least 1 Oly Arms in my safe.

The people to ask are the one's who own them, not someone who heard a rumor at the shooting range.

Sheriff

imported post

My 2 cents worth...

Comparing an Olympia Arms to a Colt is like comparing an RCA TV to a Samsung TV.

They are both good believe it or not, and they both have a very long life expectancy.