• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Olympic Arms Assualt Rifles

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dustin wrote:
Michigander wrote:
This is my thoughts exactly. It's not like I couldn't learn an AK, but I've put around 40,000 rounds down an M4/M16 already. I can reload anddisassemble it blindfolded all day.

My Muscle memory with every aspect of this weapon has been branded into my brain. Hell I slept with it for 4 years. In the Marines you also still have to name it :lol:

I do like the option of building. I'm defintely interested in that. RRA is a very pleasing to the eyes type of website though :(

I do however lack in the understanding of civilan jargin.

What does it mean when they say "Stripped Lower reciever" (No Trigger housing?)

Can I buy a Lower reciever from RRA, and then Upper from elsewhere ?

What do you guys consider the most important part/section of your AR ?

Thanks Guys,I love this place. ;)

I've put together several lowers (at least 5)and then topped them off with an already built upper. My latest build was on a strippedRRA lower, lower parts kit (trigger, hammer, springs, etc.), 6 pos. collapsible stock, a RRA 9mm mag well adapter (mag block), and topped off with a 16" 9mm RRA A3 upper. She shoots real sweet and is now my bedroom rifle. Putting together an AR lower is very simple, my first one took about an hour (at the most) to put together. My next project is a .45acp carbine built on a Cavalry Arms MKII stripped lower. Check out AR15.com for instructions on how to build and places where you can find parts.

Semper FI.......do (;)), Leatherneck!

P.S. yes, you can buy a stripped lower from RRA and put whatever you want on top of it. Check your gun shows for dealers that carry stripped lowers.

Michigander

imported post

Dustin wrote:
This is my thoughts exactly. It's not like I couldn't learn an AK, but I've put around 40,000 rounds down an M4/M16 already. I can reload anddisassemble it blindfolded all day.

My Muscle memory with every aspect of this weapon has been branded into my brain. Hell I slept with it for 4 years. In the Marines you also still have to name it :lol:

While you'd probably love an AK if for no other reason than ease of cleaning and the fact you don't have to anyway even if it has sand in the action (they are idiot proof, there is almost nothing to learn), I certainly think the AR would be the best bet for now. The fact of the matter is that every Marine I ever met is intimately familiar with the weapons that he or she had used, and puts a large amount of pride into that complete understanding. I can say with confidence that you can get business done with an AR, so I don't see a need to fix what's not broken with an AK if you like AR's. At least not yet. ;)

DocV

imported post

I really recommend building one whatever manufacturer you choose. I am a complete novice and I assembled an RRA 20" with A-2 stock and forearm in a little over 2 hours with a little coaching.

The feeling you get when you get out on the range with something you put together yourself is great!

DocV

Dustin

imported post

DocV wrote:
The feeling you get when you get out on the range with something you put together yourself is great!

DocV

That's what I'm going for.

Although I don't plan on going to any ranges. I've never seen aNon-Military Gun Range before. I live in the Swamps of LA.

I'm thinking Hard about opening up a Gun Range in my Area. As in My own Business.

Dustin

imported post

41 Magnum wrote:
Dustin-

You'll need to get certified as a range instructor through the NRA. You'll get a VERY thick book on HOW to run a range.

AND your insurance company will thank you with much lower premiums if you do.

Sweet, I'll belooking into the insurance costs soon.

VA Caver

imported post

I have a RRA and it's a sweet rifle. I also have a LaRue Upper on a Bushy lower and it too is great.

RRA makes excellent stuff, but do your research first...they have INCREDIBLY long wait times if you order straight from them.

Oh, and to the poster who said he alreadyhas a .22 and doesn't need another? An AR is NOT a .22 ...far from it.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

VA Caver wrote:
Oh, and to the poster who said he alreadyhas a .22 and doesn't need another? An AR is NOT a .22 ...far from it.
I know I'm not "the poster" that you mentioned but, do you really not understand that an AR IS, in fact, a .22?....or more exactly, a .224.......or are you just saying that it isn't a .22 LR?
There are several ".22s" that I will guarantee will out perform your AR in all ballistic respects....like the 22-250 or 220 Swift, for example....

Before anyone jumps in with the "correction" about it being a .223 and not a .224.....
most of the ".22s" (.22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Remington, 223 Remingtom, 22-250, 220 Swift etc) actually use a bullet diameter of .224

VA Caver

imported post

My intention was to point out that an AR should not be mistaken as orconsidered a .22 (which by the way it was written, the poster seems to do).To say you don't want an AR because you already have a .22is basically telling the uninformed that they are one and the same...which they definitely are not.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

VA Caver wrote:
My intention was to point out that an AR should not be mistaken as orconsidered a .22 (which by the way it was written, the poster seems to do).To say you don't want an AR because you already have a .22is basically telling the uninformed that they are one and the same...which they definitely are not.
Oh come down from your high horse. It was a joke, and yes I can tell the difference between 5.56 NATO, .223, and .22LR.

VA Caver

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
VA Caver wrote:
Oh come down from your high horse. It was a joke, and yes I can tell the difference between 5.56 NATO, .223, and .22LR.
Not on a high horse. The way it was written, it could be easily confusing to someone who doesn't know the difference.

Dustin

imported post

VA Caver wrote:

Not on a high horse. The way it was written, it could be easily confusing to someone who doesn't know the difference.

Agreed, if you know the difference, don't lead others astray.

Here's the real Difference so we can get back on topic.

22 All the way to the LEFT,- 223/5.56 All the way to the RIGHT

ammo.jpg

[align=center]Left to right are: 22, 25, 32, 380, 9mm, 357 SIG, 38, 357, 40, 45, & .223. [/align]