• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Notification Signage Requirements?

WDGF

imported post

Am I correct that Arizona law does not require consistent signage to notify OC or CC folks that a place is off limits for carrying?

I travel through AZ annually, and would like to OC while there, and am also looking at moving to AZ in the next five years.

For example, in Texas, our concealed handgun licensing law has very specific requirements for legal notification, known as 30.06 signage for the section of the law it's in. It sets the exact wording, minimum lettering size on contrasting background, language requirments and that placement must make it clearly visible to anyone entering the premesis. Deviations invalidate the signage, from the standpoint of prosecutability.

In reading through the forum, it is my impression that clear, specific and obvious signage is not necessarily a legal requirement in AZ. Am I mistaken?

AZkopper

imported post

There is no specific signage/wordage requirement. If its clear that guns are not allowed, based on any sign/symbol, then guns are not allowed and you are trespassing, technically.

That being said, if it's not seen, it's not known. realistically, they''ll just aske you to leave if it is discovered (unless specifically prohibited by law, ie: a bar).

WDGF

imported post

Thanks. I'll keep a closer eye out this year when we're there than I have in the past.

I'm used to CC, but new to OC in public, so a bit nervous that I'll get in trouble making a dumb mistake. With CC, if I miss something it's typically just a silent "Doh!" and resolve to be more careful, but with OC everyone will know if I've screwed up... probably before I realize it. I suppose it's similar to the "Wally Walk" nervous new CCW licensees do when they first get their license. Not having OC available here in TX, it'll be a new experience to get used to.

I'm trying to learn as much about AZ, NM, UT and NV carry law as I can before I try it. I've ordered the travelers gun law guide book to help me.

(LOVE Arizona, by the way! Visiting as much stunning landscape as possible is my favorite part of the trip.)

Dahwg

imported post

WDGF wrote:
Thanks. I'll keep a closer eye out this year when we're there than I have in the past.

I'm used to CC, but new to OC in public, so a bit nervous that I'll get in trouble making a dumb mistake. With CC, if I miss something it's typically just a silent "Doh!" and resolve to be more careful, but with OC everyone will know if I've screwed up... probably before I realize it. I suppose it's similar to the "Wally Walk" nervous new CCW licensees do when they first get their license. Not having OC available here in TX, it'll be a new experience to get used to.

I'm trying to learn as much about AZ, NM, UT and NV carry law as I can before I try it. I've ordered the travelers gun law guide book to help me.

(LOVE Arizona, by the way! Visiting as much stunning landscape as possible is my favorite part of the trip.)
Enjoy your trip out here. I did the Wally Walk when I got my CCW because I guess that's what you're supposed to do -a right of passage as it were. But it didn't really mean a whole heck of a lot to me seeing as how I'd been open carrying anyway. :lol: