• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

talked to the Flint Police Chief today

bigbad45

imported post

Every Tuesday, there's a meeting of a large group of blockclubs that I go to. The Chief also attends sometimes, so I printed out the pdf's on here about open carry. Today, the chief attended the meeting, so I gave them to him & asked him if he knew that open carry was legal in Michigan. He didn't. He seemed to think it was a new law. I tried to explain that it was an interpretation of existing laws, but didn't have much time. I did ask him to pass it on to all officers, so we'll see.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

bigbad45 wrote:
Every Tuesday, there's a meeting of a large group of blockclubs that I go to. The Chief also attends sometimes, so I printed out the pdf's on here about open carry. Today, the chief attended the meeting, so I gave them to him & asked him if he knew that open carry was legal in Michigan. He didn't. He seemed to think it was a new law. I tried to explain that it was an interpretation of existing laws, but didn't have much time. I did ask him to pass it on to all officers, so we'll see.
I find it extremely unlikely that the Flint Police Chief didn't know OC was legal. Come on, after the Burton picnic, Flint Journal article and I'm sure he talks with the Burton Chief at least weekly, I find it hard to believe. What is sad is, if he didn't really know it was legal, then God help the Flint PD.

bigbad45

imported post

Our Chief is Richard Dicks. He was promoted from Officer to Inspector in the realitively new Citiizen's Service Bureau. The Bureau was disbanded recently due to budget constraints, and Dicks went back to Officer. When Chief Hagler resigned to become Head of Law Enforcement for the DNR, Dicks was named interim Chief by the Mayor. The appointment is the subject of some controversy. I assure you, he reacted as though he had never heard of open carry.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

bigbad45 wrote:
Our Chief is Richard Dicks. He was promoted from Officer to Inspector in the realitively new Citiizen's Service Bureau. The Bureau was disbanded recently due to budget constraints, and Dicks went back to Officer. When Chief Hagler resigned to become Head of Law Enforcement for the DNR, Dicks was named interim Chief by the Mayor. The appointment is the subject of some controversy. I assure you, he reacted as though he had never heard of open carry.

Aaah, well that makes more sense. Perhaps he should read a paper now and then.

His name is Dick Dicks??? Parents had a sense of humor I'll wager.