• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clarification on OCing

Whirlybird818

imported post

Hey guys, I just found this site and I am so happy that I did, what a great wealth of info. I've read a lot of the posts on here and it looks like its ok to OC at the age of 19. But here is the story anyways.

I am from Illinois (here for college in Prescott) and last year I did the Defensive Pistol 250 class at gunsite. Wow, that was awesome. Anyways, for christmas I was gifted a nice pistol from my Grandpa. From my understanding. it is legal to get as a gift from a family member since I cant buy one (under 21). I was pretty sure I could OC, so I have been for a little while. I walked into a gun store not too long ago to buy a rifle, and the guy behind the counter noticed I wasnt 21. Long story short, he said I couldnt OC under 21 here and that I better hide my gun since I couldnt really be in possesion of it without an adult around. I replied, im over 18, legally I am an adult, but he was pretty sure that I could not have it on my hip.

I searched the laws and the only thing i have found is that under 18 you need to have an adult around and parental permission, and you cant conceal unless you are 21 an have a ccw. Other than that I couldnt find much about OCing under 21 but over 18.

I stopped OCing for a while just because I dont want any LE trouble, who does. But now that I have found this site, I am happy that it looks like I can OC. Any Thoughts? I am in the clear right?

PavePusher

imported post

Yes, 18-21 years old, OC is legal, and in fact is the only way for you to carry, unless on your own property, home or business (ARS 13-3102). Must be 21 to get CCW.

If you don't have it already, you should get a copy of Alan Korwin's Arizona Gun Owner's Guide. Available here: www.gunlaws.com, or at most gun shops. Also read the ARS concerning gun laws: ARS 4, 8, 9, 11,12, 13, 15, 17, 26, 28, 32, 33, 36, 41.

Get an inexpensive voice recorder (many MP3 players have a recording feature), useful for legal encounters and school work.

Look at the Arizona Citizens Defense League website, consider becoming a member: www.azcdl.corg.

Welcome to Arizona and OCDO! (For the record, I am in the USAF and only moved to AZ last August. One year anniversary coming up!!)

AZkopper

imported post

Never trust gun store clerks for law advice.

You may not carry (except with specific law allowances) under 18. You may not CC until 21. You may not purchase a handgun until 21.

You may OC at 18 (the ARS is silent on it, so what is not prohibited is allowed).

Search this board to get all the pertanent laws on OCing in AZ.

Alec411

imported post

As a retired career FED. I can agree with AZKOPPER. Once again, his view is dead on! BTW welcome to AZ. If the snow makes you homesick this winter, drive south for a while. It'll restore the mind!

Alec411

imported post

P.S. WHIRLY818:

YOUR GRANDPA IS A GOOD GUY! TURN OUT LIKE HIM & YOU'LL BOTH HAVE A REASON TO BE PROUD!

Chuck

imported post

Can you buy handgun ammo under 21? I cant recall off the top of my head.. Or is that more of a store policy than law.

The reason I ask is I recall someone under 21 being given a hard time at wallmart for trying to buy .22 ammo cuse it said pistol/rifle on the box...

Michigander

imported post

Federal law says that you can't buy ammo for a pistol, regardless of what caliber, unless you are 21+. If you have a 1911, and claim the ammo is for your .45 ACP carbine, or even just that you have a stock and 16" barrel for your 1911, they can legally sell you ammo if you are 18-20. Or, you can just have an older friend buy it for you.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

I would never recommend breaking the law to anyone, but just to tell a story:

I recently bought some ammo online (carry ammor is almost always cheaper online than in the stores), and I don't recall anything asking for any kind of proof of age.