Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VA State Police Response to Post Office Carry...

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Sent: 7/8/2008 12:58:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
    Subj: RE: Post Office Carry?

Carrying a firearm on federal property is governed by federal law.
    Please contact a federal authority for information or guidance in this matter.

Sincerely,

Donna K. Tate, Manager
    Firearms Transaction Center
    Virginia Department of State Police
    Tel: (804) 674-2210
    Fax: (804) 674-2791
    Email Donna.Tate@vsp.virginia.gov

Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 11:01 PM
    To: Tate, Donna K.
    Subject: Post Office Carry?

With my CHP is it legal to both Open Carry and or Concealed Carry in my Local Post Office?

Your website says:

Where Unlawful to Carry

§18.2-308 (J.3.): No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.

§18.2-308 (O.): Private property when prohibited by the owner of the property, or where posted as prohibited.

§18.2-283: To a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place, without good and sufficient reason.

§18.2-283.1: Courthouse.

§18.2-308.1: School property. Exemptions to this statute include a person who has a valid concealed handgun permit and possesses a concealed handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school.

§18.2-287.01: Carrying weapon in air carrier airport terminal.

Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Geez, Ed, you're a lean, mean, letter-writin' machine.

You go, guy!!!

Post imported post

I wonder if a person got arrested in a post office.. printed out the VA state police page and said.. here is where the va state police listed where I can't legally carry.. if he would get off.. I guess it depends on the judge
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Gentleman Ranker

Post imported post

I looked into this question myself some years ago when I was in Georgia. Post Offices are a NO, by Federal law. I have the cite somewhere, and will post it this evening.

IIRC, it's pretty unambiguously NO, however.

regards,

GR

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Actually, as I read the law, the post office is fine but no one of authority will admit to that.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

DO NOT CARRY A FIREARM ON POST OFFICE PROPERTY

Most people think they can because they misapply U.S. Code, Title 18, Part 1, Cahpter 44 to the Post Office. This sectiondeals with Firearms in Federal Facilities. Most people understand that the Post Office doesn't fall under thisdefinition of a Federal Facility. This is usually where they stop researching and think "I'm good to go in the P.O." This is where they get into major lifechanging trouble.

Pretty much you are SCREWED if you are caught carrying on Postal Property unless you are LEO.

Title 39 Code of Federal Regulations, Section 232.1 (l)
    Weapons and explosives. Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

"Official Purposes" means anyone who carries any of the above in an official capacity as legally required by their job, i.e. Police, FBI, ATF, CIA, BATFE, Postal Inspectors, etc.

There are no exceptions listed.

State Law does not supercede Federal Regulations.

Post imported post

Decoligny wrote:

Pretty much you are screwed if you are carrying on Postal Property unless you are LEO.

Title 39 Code of Federal Regulations, Section 232.1 (l)
    Weapons and explosives. Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

"Official Purposes" means anyone who carries any of the above in an official capacity as legally required by their job, i.e. Police, FBI, ATF, CIA, BATFE, Postal Inspectors, etc.

There are no exceptions listed.

State Law does not supercede Federal Regulations.
    BUT, and that is a big BUT, the CFR is merely a set of guidelines for Fed agencies to follow. The CFR also says that noting contained in the CFR is designed to overide Federal Law, i.e. the US Code.

The US Code says that if you are on federal property for a legal purpose and are carrying a firearm legally, there is no violation of law (except courthouses, prisons, etc).
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

I have read very intelligent legal discourses explaining very clearly why it is perfectly legal to at least conceal carry (if you are so licensed) into any USPS.

I have read very intelligent legal discourses explaining very clearly why it is absolutely illegal to carry any firearm (even if you are so licensed) into any USPS.

I have come to the conclusion that at this moment in my life I have not the time, energy, disposable wealth or inclination to be the test case. In all the years I have seen this matter discussed I have not yet seen anyone else volunteer to be the test case either.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

well said deepdiver
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Here is a link to a court opinion regarding a case in which a postal worker was prosecuted under39 CFR 232.1 for having a gun in his car parked in a post office parking lot.

This was a motion to dismiss, arguing that the regulation is unconstitutional, and the defendant lost. According to the Volokh Conspiracy, the defendant was convicted (although this link does not indicate that).

http://volokh.com/files/dorosan.pdf

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

deepdiver wrote:
    In all the years I have seen this matter discussed I have not yet seen anyone else volunteer to be the test case either.
    I volunteer SCOTUS 7-029!
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

All, here is a great"link" to a discussionabout this subject:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum22/7749.html

I see it has been resurrected again. Please feel free to comment and lend a hand, if necessary. Thanks in advance!

2nd Amendment.......Use it........Or, lose it!!:X
    The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

The US District Court has ruled that it is illegal to have a firearm on the Federal property owned/occupied by the post office.

Here is a link to discuss it along with the actual court decision.

Gentleman Ranker

Post imported post

Well. I was going to post what I had on the subject, but I see that it has been more than adequately covered.

One very small thing ...

In the older thread cited by Smurfologist above, Prometheus (Posted: Tue Jan 29th, 2008 09:45 pm) makes mention of

The same sign posted at the enterence to every post office lists the "NO GUNS... except....."
    Here is the USPS' list of their own posters. Poster 7 (conduct on postal property) and Poster 158 (possession of firearms) both prohibit firearms "except for official purposes".

IANAL, but I suspect that "official purposes" (as opposed to, say, "lawful purposes") would not include self-defense in general. My personal feelings are more-or-less those of deepdiver above.

regards,

GR

Post imported post

I see the monthly discussion on the legality of Post Office carry has started. I really don't care one way or the other as in the last few years the only time I remember setting foot in a Post Office was to mail off my CWP application because I wanted to be sure that it had enough postage.

As deepdiver said I have seen some very convincing arguments both ways and have no idea which is correct. I am also in no hurry to be the test case. However I will pledge $5 to the defense fund of whoever volunteers to be the test case. PM me the details of where to send the money along with the details on your court date etc.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I wonder how this squares with the plain fact that they accept firearms for shipment at post offices. If you can't carry them there, how do they end up being shipped?

Post imported post

Thank you ALL for responding to my post and telling me the law(s) (I already KNEW USPS was off limits).

Personally, my POINT was this... Many people are brand new to hand guns and all the laws and rules that go with them. Regular law abiding citizen's buy a gun, then GOOGLE "Virginia concealed carry permit info" and the first GOOGLE hit is http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm.

They then go to that site and read all they can about the laws, rules, reciprocity, etc. If they click the link for http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_...nlawfultoCarry

They get taken to a list (part of my first post) that states where you can't carry in VA. So.. already KNOWING the law, I simply wrote into the State Police (since it was their web site) to ask them if it was legal. Maybe to see if they would say yes.. maybe to see if they would say no and add it to their website.. I was not sure what I was expecting, but I did it for my own curiosity and that of one of my firearm class students that asked me the exact same question.

A long time ago the VCDL had a letter posted on their website from the Chief of Police (or their legal counsel) saying that you can't have a firearm anywhere on the airport property, toll road, etc. or you will be arrested and charged. I knew that also to not be true and I wrote a letter stating so. They responded back with a "corrected" letter that is now posted on the VCDL letters website under MWAA. http://www.vcdl.org/letters/mwaa2008.pdf

Just last week I "corrected" a VA Commonwealth Attorney's Assistant on the CHP law regarding non air carrier airport carry and CHP drop off carry at K-12. He thanked me. (This was also the guy that was TRAINING LEO's on what was legal or not).

So... like many of you.. and also not like many of you.. I "rattle the bees nest" with a stick. Sometimes the bees fly away and return. Sometimes they fly away and stay away.. and yes.. sometimes I get stung. But I have no idea what will happen until I poke it with a stick.

Cheers to my fellow stick-pokers and those that watch the poking.

edited for spelling.. QFT me if you want :-P
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

ilbob wrote:
    I wonder how this squares with the plain fact that they accept firearms for shipment at post offices. If you can't carry them there, how do they end up being shipped?
    http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

Red added by Ed
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

You are wellinside the Post Office on Lynnhaven Pkwy and Viking Drive (in Virginia Beach) when you see the no guns sign - it's on the door going into the Passport office (at the farend of the service line) - that can be a sticky situation!!!!

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    Actually, as I read the law, the post office is fine but no one of authority will admit to that.
    From Eugene Volokh, More on Guns in Post Office Parking Lots

Monday, the magistrate judge in U.S. v. Dorosan, which I blogged abouthere issued a further opinion, including this on the Second Amendment question (which is whether the federal government could criminalize the bringing of guns onto post office property, including leaving them in a car parked in the parking lot):

As previously addressed in this Court's prior opinion, the postal regulation at issue (39 C.F.R. § 232.1(l)) passes Second Amendment constitutional muster and is reasonable as applied to Dorosan. The Government has a significant interest in protecting the integrity of the purposes to which it has dedicated the property (facilitating postal transactions) and ensuring the security of postal employees and the public who must: (1) visit postal property to conduct official and personal business; (2) wait single file in roped off lines inside of postal facilities; (3) idle in vehicles single file in "snorkel lanes" 21 on postal property to use "drive and drop" mail receptacles placed outside of the Post Office building; and (4) carry cash or other legal tender for stamps, money orders, passports and other goods and services provided by the United States Postal Service.

Noting the fact that there were no signs prominently displayed outside of the Gretna Post Office building publishing the regulation's prohibition against carrying firearms (§ 232.1(l)) or animals (§ 232.1(j)) on "postal property," the defendant argued that the statute was vague, overly broad and unconstitutional as applied to the defendant. More particularly, defense counsel suggested that the regulation effectively outlaws conduct including matriculating the drop box lane in a vehicle with either a firearm or an animal safely stowed within its confines. The undersigned Magistrate Judge expresses no opinion whatsoever as to the constitutionality of regulation's ban on carrying firearms or animals in public areas without official purpose -- i.e., operating a vehicle through the "snorkel lane" of the Gretna Post Office while accompanied by a pet Shih Tzu, other non-seeing eye dog or, perhaps, armed with a loaded handgun stowed in the glove compartment. Neither of those issues are before the Court in this case, which involves the prohibited conduct of carrying and storing firearms without official purpose in the gated/restricted access employee parking, loading and unloading area of the subject "postal property."

Post imported post

Section 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities
    Code:
    Section 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities 
    (a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly
    possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous
    weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility),
    or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned
    not more than 1 year, or both.
    (b) Whoever, with intent that a firearm or other dangerous weapon
    be used in the commission of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes
    to be present such firearm or dangerous weapon in a Federal
    facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or
    imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
    (c) A person who kills any person in the course of a violation of
    subsection (a) or (b), or in the course of an attack on a Federal
    facility involving the use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon,
    or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be punished as
    provided in sections 1111, 1112, 1113, and 1117.
    (d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to - 
    (1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer,
    agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political
    subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or
    supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or
    prosecution of any violation of law;
    (2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a
    Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such
    possession is authorized by law; or
    (3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons
    in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful
    purposes.

(e)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), whoever knowingly
    possesses or causes to be present a firearm in a Federal court
    facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title,
    imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.
    (2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to conduct which is described
    in paragraph (1) or (2) of subsection (d).
    (f) Nothing in this section limits the power of a court of the
    United States to punish for contempt or to promulgate rules or
    orders regulating, restricting, or prohibiting the possession of
    weapons within any building housing such court or any of its
    proceedings, or upon any grounds appurtenant to such building.
    (g) As used in this section:
    (1) The term "Federal facility" means a building or part
    thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal
    employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing
    their official duties.
    (2) The term "dangerous weapon" means a weapon, device,
    instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is
    used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious
    bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket
    knife with a blade of less than 2 1/2 inches in length.
    (3) The term "Federal court facility" means the courtroom,
    judges' chambers, witness rooms, jury deliberation rooms,
    attorney conference rooms, prisoner holding cells, offices of the
    court clerks, the United States attorney, and the United States
    marshal, probation and parole offices, and adjoining corridors of
    any court of the United States.

(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be
    posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal
    facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted
    conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court
    facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under
    subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such
    notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had
    actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.
    Code:
    I cant see how anyone, judge, citizen, lawyer, could argue with the "lawful carrying of a firearm in a Federal facility incident to another lawful purpose", like mailing a letter or buying stamps.

Not sure why this keeps coming up in green and my highlights are not working, but you get the point....
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

Here's a lawyer's blog that follows my train of thought...

http://rlwesquire.wordpress.com/2008...a-post-office/
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:

Not to hijack the thread, but if his interpretation is correct, then one could carry onto a military base as long as they were there for a legal purpose. i.e. their job. I definitely would not want to be the test case for this on a base or the post office. I do not have the resources to do so. It would be great if this were the case and you could carry on bases, post offices etc.

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:

I have always OC's at the Dumfries USPS and have never been challanged. The last time I was there was yesterday! Not even the employees said anything. I have been to that USPS at least a dozen times OC, and once, there was a state trooper car in the lot.

Post imported post

joeamt wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:

I have always OC's at the Dumfries USPS and have never been challanged. The last time I was there was yesterday! Not even the employees said anything. I have been to that USPS at least a dozen times OC, and once, there was a state trooper car in the lot.
    Sounds like you're going to be the test case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast