• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally found the courage...

Pauly

imported post

It's about time I stopped being such a nancy boy. Yesterday I OC'd for most of the day. The only time I didn't have my gun on me was at my brother's in-laws and at my dad's house. My brother's in-laws aren't opposed to guns but they are opposed to their 14 year old asshole of a son being around one. (I didn't get into it, not my business) They have no problem with me concealing in their house, I should add. My father wouldn't care about the gun either way and he knows I carry but as of late he isn't well. I just didn't want to upset all my family members that I haven't seen in years by showing up with a gun. I left it in the car and left my holster on my hip. No one seemed to notice and if they did nothing was mentioned to me exept by my aunt who told me I need to come by the house and check out her Glock. I carried into the Kroger grocery store with zero incident. The only person I noticed giving me the hairy eyeball was the manager. After I got to checkout he scanned me up and down then continued with what he was doing. He never said a word to me about it. I call that uneventful. On the way home my wife called and asked if I would stop by the local pizza joint and bring home some dinner. When I walked in the door the young man behind the counter immediately fixated on my S&W and then snapped out of it and asked if he could help me. A few minutes later I was on my way with food and a smile. I am usually pretty jovial but took extra care to be polite and couteous to everyone I encountered. I was on my best behavior all day. Can I have a cookie?

I noticed a few things I'd like to mention. Early on in the day I was very 'paranoid' and kept checking my mirrors waiting for a barrage of blue and white behind me. Nothing. Also, I noticed my heightened sense of awarness with this form of carry. I maintain a good sense of situational awareness naturally and when I CC but this was different. I can't really explain it but I noticed things on a whole new level yesterday. Much, much more alert. I don't know if that is good or says I should work on my alertness when I CC a little more. I also realized that most people don't even notice you are carrying a gun at all. My sister-in-law was in the car with me for 15 minutes, in the store with me for 20 or so minutes. I had mentioned to my brother that that was the first time I had open carried in public and he needs to know how that feels. My sister-in-law asked what 'open carry' meant so I pointed at my hip. She started laughing at herself and said she didn't even know I was wearing it. She hadn't noticed and I gave her a hug when I picked them up. (Maybe she assumed I was just happy to see her. I was... she's smokin'!!)

That about wraps up my little review of my first OC experience. I plan on doing this a lot more often and wish I had just done it from the beginning. I want to express my heartfelt thanks to all of you for being an encouragement and path carver for me. I know I would have never considered it without this forum. I never even knew it was legal until this forum. I am so glad I found it and again, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

Pauly.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't believe you.

I'll have to see a pic before we can agree she's "smoking".... ;)

Great job on the OC! Here's your cookie...

826309~Chocolate-Chip-Cookie-on-White-Background-Posters.jpg

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav wrote:
I don't believe you.
I'll have to see a pic before we can agree she's "smoking".... ;)
Don't take Bob too seriously.

We still suspect the picture he posted and claimed was his wife was really some girl he fast-talked into being in his picture to add some life to the scene. :):p

Kungfu

imported post

Congrats on doing it and I'm glad it was a good experience.

I've yet to get the courage to OC at a store, or on foot....only have done it on my motorcycle from my house to the range. The perception most people have with guns is.....well, overwhelmingly negative...to say it lightly. Even fellow firearms owners (I work with) are almost liberal in their stance.....like "no one needs an assault rifle", or "there is no reason for high capacity mags" kind of stuff.

I hope if I can make this meeting (if it gets ironed out) and can get all my questions answered, perhaps I will finally be comfortable doing it.

Pauly

imported post

Kungfu wrote:
Congrats on doing it and I'm glad it was a good experience.

I've yet to get the courage to OC at a store, or on foot....only have done it on my motorcycle from my house to the range. The perception most people have with guns is.....well, overwhelmingly negative...to say it lightly. Even fellow firearms owners (I work with) are almost liberal in their stance.....like "no one needs an assault rifle", or "there is no reason for high capacity mags" kind of stuff.

I hope if I can make this meeting (if it gets ironed out) and can get all my questions answered, perhaps I will finally be comfortable doing it.

First, everyone needs an assault rifle. That being said I ride a bike as well and have been thinking how I can carry while riding. I think the best solution for me is a thigh rig for two reasons. The first reason is I don't have to worry about pinching or poking when I am leaned over the tank. Second is the only thing harder than hauling ass down a twisty road on a Ducati Superbike is hauling ass down a twisty road on a Ducati Superbike whilst OCing a cocked and locked Smith & Wesson on your right thigh.

I guess that can be topped as well. If I am hauling ass down a twisty road on a Ducati Superbike whilst OCing a cocked and locked Smith & Wesson on my right thigh and then get passed in a turn by my wife as she hauls ass down the same twisty road on her Ducati Monster whilst CCing a cocked and locked Bersa Thunder .380 inside her leather riding suit that would probably make my nipples hard.

too much info? sorry.

Kungfu

imported post

That is funny. I was just thinking about it the other day while riding....I cant think of anything that could make a person feel more free than riding a motorcycle while OC'ing, period....it is a great feeling!

snake021

imported post

Kungfu wrote:
That is funny. I was just thinking about it the other day while riding....I cant think of anything that could make a person feel more free than riding a motorcycle while OC'ing, period....it is a great feeling!

I agree.

I've been at stoplights and could tell the people in the car next to me were checking me out. When I turn to look at them, their eyes go from my gun to straight ahead in a split second.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Kungfu wrote:

Yes. I can understand that.

I've gotone that might compare.

The proposal that the Articles of Confederation be scrapped for a new constitution. At that instant,certain influentialpeople were reverting to a native state--no government. In fact one of the framers even wrote that sentiment to another person. He wasn't a framer at that point. He was a little incredulous if I recall. But it happened, didn't it? (The native state idea wasn't mine; it never even occured to me until I read about it.)

Wow!! No government! Just by agreeing that the old one needed to go, its gone, for what is government by consent of the governed but the agreement that it exists? As soon as you get enough agreement that it needs to go--its gone, no further action required. Because its yours and everbody else's agreement that it exists--yours and everybody else's consent--that makes it exist in the first place.

And guess what! If I'm one of the framers, I'm one of the guys calling the shots! All forty three of us, or however many attendees there were. "Heh, heh, heh. I know Jones has his eye ongetting his hands on my property by driving me into bankruptcy. Well, I'm on the committee that is assigned to choose the exact wording, I'll just insert a little comma here and a semi-colon there. Hah, take that Jones!"

Heady stuff indeed.

Benjamin9

imported post

Yes!!!!!

And the more we exercise our Right, the more it is exposed, the easier it will be to exercise.

Awesome ... keep it up!:idea: