• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Passing Through ...

Hangman

imported post

Hey guys,

I've noticed you don't have a lot of posts for SD, curious.

Anyway, I'll be passing through the state come July 11thand will stop in Rapid City for a few days. Thought I'd stop in to see Mount Rushmore and take in a few other sites while I'm there.

I know SD accepts Utah CCP, but I'm not sure on what laws need to be followed at places like Mount Rushmore, federal parks, and the like. And Deadwood now that they have gambling.

Do you guys have any ideas ??

Momoe

imported post

Howdy Hangman,

I've noticed the sparcity of SoDak posts myself. I live near Rapid City, open carryingwhileregularly hiking in the surrounding Black Hills & occasionally in town. However, I seldom see other private citizens OC. But, rest assured that Rapid City is a gun friendly town in a gun friendly state.

If you go to the website Handgunlaw.us , on the left hand side of the home page you'll find info on places off limits. Basically: K-12 schools, Court Houses, Bars that get more than 51% or more of their revenue from alcohol, Mount Rushmore Natl. Mem. & Wind Cave Natl. Park, etc.

You're good to go in resturants, State Parks & Campgrounds. As usual verifyallof the abovefor yourself.

Enjoy your stay.

SDguy

imported post

I live near Mt. Rushmore and have been carrying concealed for years but started openly carrying lately. Have not encountered any problems with folks or the law. Most people don't act as if they notice.

Hangman

imported post

Good Morning SD'ans,

I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed visiting your fine state. From the sites we tourists visit to the downtown charisma of Rapid City, the folks were friendly, polite, and outgoing.

I had some company with me that had told me flatlythey feel uncomfortable with me openly carrying, so to keep the peace and the politics, I didn't get to open carry very often. But the few times I did were very pleasant with no inquiries or encounters of any kind. The goodfolks of Stergis seemed to have cared less than anywhere else I've been.

So, I have to say Thank You to those of S.D., very good people.