• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SW washington

sean3686

imported post

I am currently stationed in delaware and am going to be back home in SW washington. delaware is a open carry state and the rules are carry anywhere except the city of dover, courts, police stations and postoffices.

I was wondering if there was any rules or regs i should be aware of while home and OC'ing. I will be in the vancouver, camas area as well as portland a few times im sure.

thanks!

FE427TP

imported post

City of Camas has declared firearms illegal in all parks and city property

some preempted but still on the books laws

parks rules
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]FIREARMS: Firearms and other code-defined weapons are not allowed in parks or on City property. (CMC 9.28.055 and 12.32.150)
City ordinances
[/font]
9.28.040 Pistol--Carrying prohibited. No person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle unless it is unloaded, or carry a pistol concealed on his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a license therefor as provided for in RCW Chapter 9.41.

12.32.150 Firearms.
No person shall in any park at any time, bring into, have in his possession, or discharge a revolver, pistol, shotgun, rifle, bow and arrow, crossbow, slingshot, spring or gas propelled b-b or pellet gun, spear, or javelin, or any other weapon, except in designated target range areas. (Ord. 1780 § 17, 1991)

G27

imported post

Do not worry about any city codes. I'd like to see them actually arrest you. If so, I'm sure you'd have a nice payday. Allordinaces except for discharge of firearms are pretty much trumped by state law. I'd read up on RCW's pertaining firearms so that you yourself can be aware of all laws. It isn't very long and shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes to review. It is nice to read for yourself and you'll have much more confidence in the law than if you were to just take my advice.

sean3686

imported post

FE427TP wrote:
City of Camas has declared firearms illegal in all parks and city property

some preempted but still on the books laws

parks rules
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]FIREARMS: Firearms and other code-defined weapons are not allowed in parks or on City property. (CMC 9.28.055 and 12.32.150)
City ordinances
[/font]
9.28.040 Pistol--Carrying prohibited. No person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle unless it is unloaded, or carry a pistol concealed on his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a license therefor as provided for in RCW Chapter 9.41.

12.32.150 Firearms.
No person shall in any park at any time, bring into, have in his possession, or discharge a revolver, pistol, shotgun, rifle, bow and arrow, crossbow, slingshot, spring or gas propelled b-b or pellet gun, spear, or javelin, or any other weapon, except in designated target range areas. (Ord. 1780 § 17, 1991)

so what is city property? everywhere in camas?

sean3686

imported post

I just spoke with licensing and they stated that the state law will trump the city ord.

so that part is true.

as far as the troopers and whoever else being educated on OC...

i guess we will find out

t3rmin

imported post

sean3686 wrote:
I just spoke with licensing and they stated that the state law will trump the city ord.
Licensing? Can you be more specific? This sounds good.

joeroket

imported post

I believe he means Department of Licensing. If this is the case it sounds like the info they gave is correct but they have no powers of enforcement over it. They simply are charged overall with the issuance of CPL's.

t3rmin

imported post

joeroket wrote:
I believe he means Department of Licensing. If this is the case it sounds like the info they gave is correct but they have no powers of enforcement over it. They simply are charged overall with the issuance of CPL's.
Right, but all the same I wouldn't mind having it in writing. Just one more thing to heap on when you're trying to get these bogus local laws overturned.

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

Don't carry on Ft Vancouver- it's administered by and falls under the National Park Service. Even when CC I avoid driving through there, which is easy enough (but annoying nonetheless). Don't carry in any place off-limits to under-21 year olds. Otherwise the rules you stated for Delaware will be good general rules of thumb, but I do encourage you to look up the RCW for yourself and get very familiar with it.

Some gotchas: You must have a CPL to carry loaded in (and arguably "on") any moto vehicle. If you cross the river into Portland, you must have a CPL to carry loaded in the city limits.

Again, I would encourage you to look up the Oregon statues for yourself and get to know them.

sean3686

imported post

joeroket wrote:

yes DOL.

the lady i spoke with knew quite abit, she also knew about applying for a CCW license. basicly just gave me the number to the sheriffs offices. she also gave me the list of where not to go.

ft vancouver isnt that gov property still?

Bear 45/70

imported post

thebastidge wrote:
National Parks are off-limits to firearms until it is challenged and knocked down like Heller v. DC. National Forests are a different matter. Write your congressperson.
Actually the NPS is at this time considering a rule change for the parks to reflect state law. If the change happens, possibly this fall then the NPS controlled property will be the same as the rest of the state.

sailor628

imported post

I have OC'd at the Camas Library with no problems. The librarian couldn't have missed it as I went to the counter twice, once to donate some books and the second time to check some out. Plus my kids tend to draw some attention to us in the library ;)

sean3686

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
thebastidge wrote:
National Parks are off-limits to firearms until it is challenged and knocked down like Heller v. DC. National Forests are a different matter. Write your congressperson.
Actually the NPS is at this time considering a rule change for the parks to reflect state law. If the change happens, possibly this fall then the NPS controlled property will be the same as the rest of the state.
where is there a national park in the area?

sean3686

imported post

bcp wrote:
sean3686 wrote:
where is there a national park in the area?
Fort Vancouver is under the National Park Service.

Bruce
oh.
haha.
I lived in camas for 7 or 8 years. never been there once! and I doubt this trip is gonna be the one!

fyi, oregons laws suck. I gave up on reading for the night.

sean3686

imported post

[align=left]should be back in a week but only for a few days. much less time than expected, is there a location that will issue a CPL same day? sheriffs office in vancouver said no way, they said 30-60 days for it to be mailed out?
seems like a joke for a week trip, would do me good for next time but not this time...
[/align]