• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boy, I got warned about women, semi-autos, and Open Carry!

Orygunner

imported post

I went into S-M guns on River Road in Eugene this afternoon to see what they had available for IWB holsters (my CHL should be here in <2 weeks, YAY!). While waiting for assistance, I overheard a clerk showing a woman a .357 DAO revolver. he told her if she wants to carry in her purse, the lack of hammer helps keep it from snagging, but she needs a concealed carry permit to do that. She asked him how much that costs, and he said he wasn't sure, you have to take an 8 hour class first, and pass safety with a handgun.

Since I was standing right there, I had to chime in,that Oregon law has no minimum hours required for the training class, and you don't have to even shoot a handgun. The class just has to have handgun safety as a component. She can get a list of instructors from the Sheriff's office. I just took the NRA home defense course for $35 and it only took 1 1/2 hours, but I'm familiar enough with firearms I didn't need the class with shooting time.

The clerk didn't believe me at ALL until he asked another clerk, who said yeah, his class was only 2 hours from an NRA instructor buddy of his, and they just shot afterwards for fun.

The original clerk said "well, I don't pay attention to any of the laws anyway, because ifI have to draw, it's only in self defense and I know it's legal to kill in self defense."

I figured I'd better back off of the clerk and his sale, the woman talked to him a few more minutes and walked away.

I was next, so I asked the clerk to look at a Taurus PT- 24/7 in the case, and he asked "For a concealed carry gun?" I said, "No, for my wife's concealed gun... for her purse."

What he said next blew me away:

"You don't want a semi-auto for a woman. It'll just jam and she won't know how to clear it and she'll be dead. The woman that was just here wanted a semi auto, and I told her the same thing. I showed her- she held the gun, and I grabbed the slide and said 'see, what are you gonna do now?' She said 'well, I wasn't expecting you to grab the gun!' and I told her 'yeah, exactly.' and showed her the revolvers."

Then he proceeded to tell me "You don't want a Taurus for a carry gun anyway, they just jam." I pointed to my open carry Taurus PT111 and said "I've run over 300 rounds through it, and it works flawlessly" "So far," he said...

He said he wouldn't carry anything but a Glock, or a few other brands that slip my mind at the moment...

I finished looking at the Taurus PT 24/7, and asked about holsters... he found an IWB holster that fit my PT111, (about $80, whew!), and I asked about fanny packs.

"Don't get a fanny pack, everyone knows there's a gun in it'"

I told him I plan on open carrying most of the time anyway, and only carrying concealed when I feel I need to.

"You're going to open carry in Eugene? That's just ASKING for trouble! I mean, I go down to the burrito place down the street like this (pointing to his full size in his shoulder holster), and watch the hippies freak out! I can do it , because I know all the Eugene police officers and Lane County SWAT. They're in here all the time, so if they get a call, they just drive by and see it's me. Anyone else is just asking for trouble."

I spent a few minutes making him pull down the couple of different fanny packs, looked them over(1 velcro, one zippered with a pull tab), then thanked him for his time and left.

My, did I learn a lot today! Women with semi-autos will get themselves killed, fanny packs are only for guns, and if you're cool, you can open carry around Eugene in a shoulder holster!:lol:

...oh, nodding and saying "hmmm" doesn't make opinionated people shut up...
...Orygunner...

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Talk to the owner, fast. Either get that idiot out from behind the counter, or get him educated. He's going to get someone killed with his "expert opinions." Have the owner read your posting here.

P.S. Here in Pennsylvania there's no safety test, or class, or written test, or anything like that. It's the citizen's responsibility to know what he/she is doing.

neddis

imported post

Man I'm doing my handgun safety class the wrong way! It's going to cost me $69 and take 6 hours through Blue Mountain Community College.

Anyway, that sales guy is... umm... wow. yeah, talk to manager/owner.

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Another minimum wage jerk off that failed to engage his brain before opening his mouth.

Orygunner

imported post

neddis wrote:
Problem is Multnomah county is a 3 hour drive for me. :(

Check with Columbia Outdoor Sports, or the Hermiston Gun Club and see if they know any NRA instructors that give the course for cheap.

$69 is actually not too bad of a deal for the course from the college if they include some shooting time. I feel I am familiar enough with a pistol not to need the more expensive courses (I will be taking some pistoltraining when I can afford it).I found an NRA instructor who gave the Home Defense course in 1 1/2 hours and it met theOregon CHL requirements.

Even if you feel you know your handgun and firearm safety enough, you can still benefit from the longer course and the range time. My choicewas an issue of time and $$ (it was much more affordable to pay $70 for the wife & I than $150-200).

For anyone in the Eugene Springfield Area, I recommend Curtiss Greer, 746-7806. He's a great guy, a true patriot, and knows his stuff. He's also aware that Open Carry is legal :)

...Orygunner...

neddis

imported post

yeah, the one i am doing includes some range time. I feel comfortable with my firearm, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to do the course that included some shooting.

Thanatos

imported post

Roger Moore teaches a class once a month at the hotel across the I-205 freeway from the Clackamas Fred Meyers...

http://www.gunsmartfirearmtraining.com/Contact.html

The best part - for me - is that it also qualifies you for an out-of-state Utah CCW permit, which has reciprocity in more than 30 states, unlike the Oregon CCW permit.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Whew! The clerk sounds like the kind of people that I've seen in gun stores many times, but as customers. Usually the guy behind the counter is trying not to roll his eyes at these know-it-alls. (In one store I frequent he doesn't even attempt to hide his contempt for such people.)

xmirage2kx

imported post

I know a LOT of people that will only carry police issue guns (Glock, sig, etc). It doesn't matter what gun you have, if you don't know everything there is to know about its operationsyou shouldn't carry it! Revolvers are (generally)easier to use, so suggesting it as a beginner gun makes some sense, and women tend to be thought of as beginners more than men (regardless if there is any truth to this). I won’t carry a gun unless I can put 500 rounds of carry ammo through the gun without so much as a hiccup. More people just need to admit that they don’t know all the answers, and give opinions as just that OPINIONS, not facts.