• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maysville

snake021

imported post

Short summary.

I was at a plant delivering a load, OC'ing as I had done there a couple of times with no problems. A plant worker asks to speak to me outside, ask why I have a gun and the cops have been called. The only thing running thru my mind was I didn't want to give my company a bad name and lose this account for them.

While waiting for the cops(about 10 minutes), I disarm, put the gun in the truck. One guy(who says he is a KY CC instructor)ask if I didn't see the sign that said no knives and I should have assumed that meant no guns also.

3 uniforms and1 detective show up. One officer says that I cannot carry in any plant, factory, power plant etc, in KY. He ask for ID, I give them my CCW permit. They ask where the gun is, they need to check it out. Again, not wanting to cause a scene in my companies name, I let them run the numbers.

Overall, things went smooth. The Lt. was hot!:lol:She and I carried on most of the casual conversation while waiting for the checks and she gave me all of their names, the chiefs name and number, and address of the station. Evidently, there was a fired employee who threatened to kill everyone the week before.

The company called my company, they said I was in the right, they had no signs posted and were putting them up. My boss (the owner) find out it was me and laughed.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Glad it didn't cause an employment issue for you or a business issue for your company.

I have read the KRS on carry of firearms and find the LEO's made up restrictions would be funny if it were not such a serious matter that s/he was so willing to just make up the law s/he has sworn to uphold on the spot.

reefteach

imported post

They can put the signs up, but there is no criminal penalty in KY for ignoring them :D

I would not have let them seize my property without a warrant. The fourth amendment is important to liberty.

N00blet45

imported post

That's the first time I've heard that factories and plants are off-limits. I haven't seen it in the KRS. I think someone is blowing smoke. The thing is there really is no way to correct an officer on the street successfully. You could carry a card with the statutes related to carrying a firearm but that's as close as you'll come. I love the part about the no knives sign and it meaning no guns too.

This could have been a lot smoother and not a waste of police manpower (womanpower too in your case) if the worker had talked to you BEFORE calling the police not after. That makes absolutely no sense. Why would you go out and talk to the guy with the gun if you were so scared that you had to call the police? That'd be like me calling the police on a man outside my house with a mask on and then walk outside to ask him what he's doing.

reefteach

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
Why would you go out and talk to the guy with the gun if you were so scared that you had to call the police? That'd be like me calling the police on a man outside my house with a mask on and then walk outside to ask him what he's doing.
Perfect analogy.

snake021

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Glad it didn't cause an employment issue for you or a business issue for your company.
It kinda has. My terminal manager is a spineless weenie. Now, all of a sudden after ten years of working here, he pulls out the employee handbook that I've never seen, and shows me where guns aren't allowed on our company property. Me, him, and the boss went round and round yesterday. They're going to get back to me and possibly make exceptions.
I have read the KRS on carry of firearms and find the LEO's made up restrictions would be funny if it were not such a serious matter that s/he was so willing to just make up the law s/he has sworn to uphold on the spot.
I know. I started to argue with them from the begining that I know the KRS, I could tell they weren't going to have none of it.

snake021

imported post

reefteach wrote:
They can put the signs up, but there is no criminal penalty in KY for ignoring them :D
I know, but I respect their policy. No matter how flawed.
I would not have let them seize my property without a warrant. The fourth amendment is important to liberty.
Easier said than done, in my case. If I had been on my own time, I would agree. But this was my bosses dime, and I had to get to another destination. Ironically, I had to go pick up at the same plant in Middletown OH, they have the guns signs all over the place.

snake021

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
That's the first time I've heard that factories and plants are off-limits. I haven't seen it in the KRS. I think someone is blowing smoke. The thing is there really is no way to correct an officer on the street successfully. You could carry a card with the statutes related to carrying a firearm but that's as close as you'll come. I love the part about the no knives sign and it meaning no guns too.

This could have been a lot smoother and not a waste of police manpower (womanpower too in your case) if the worker had talked to you BEFORE calling the police not after. That makes absolutely no sense. Why would you go out and talk to the guy with the gun if you were so scared that you had to call the police? That'd be like me calling the police on a man outside my house with a mask on and then walk outside to ask him what he's doing.

I asked the same thing, they said they were just following the SOP.

Isaid if there was a guy who was threatning harm, wouldn't make more sense to have somone armed at the plant? Got no answer.

Flyer22

imported post

reefteach wrote:
N00blet45 wrote:
Why would you go out and talk to the guy with the gun if you were so scared that you had to call the police? That'd be like me calling the police on a man outside my house with a mask on and then walk outside to ask him what he's doing.
Perfect analogy.

Exactly.

It shows that sensible, non-threatening OC isn't nearly as dangerous or provocative as some people claim--otherwise they would be scared to approach. If I saw somebody who was clearly a menace, I certainly wouldn't confront him when I was unarmedunless for some reasonI felt I didn't have a choice about it.